Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Billy Connolly
Lee Evans
Dave Chappelle
Jimmy Carr
Lee Mack
Bill Burr
I highly recommend Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast... I wish he wouldn't have guests, though. I think the podcasts have been better than his last two specials.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I must admit I enjoy his interviews as much as his stand up gigs.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Billy Connolly
Lee Evans
Dave Chappelle
Jimmy Carr
Lee Mack
Bill Burr
Speaking of Billy Connolly, have you seen him in Eric Idle's What About Dick? He's absolutely hilarious and delightful. (It's on Netflix.)

Rhod Gilbert
Dara O Briain
Sean Lock
Bill Burr are my favorites

Watched a Rob Schneider special from Salt Lake City on Netflix last night. He's a reasonably funny guy with some halfway interesting material, but if was full of filth and gratuitous language. We made it through the show, but then were shocked when he brought out his family-- including a couple of daughters, one just a small child. I couldn't believe it!

Bob Hope-Redd Foxx-Don Rickles-Bernie Mac-Dave Chapelle-Joan Rivers-Richard Pryor-Eddie Murphy-Marlon Wayans-Robin Harris-Sinbad-Moms Mabley.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
It seems so hard to find standup on Youtube, these were classic suggestions from other videos after I had been trolling for a while.

Mike Young’s energy was really good, his material is nothing groundbreaking. Really like specials like this with “scripted scenes” cut in. All energy with this guy, but I’ll vouch for it.

Simple. This dude is a killer. Never heard of him, but he is a tactician. Watch it Watch it Watch it. Produced by Tommy Bunz.

It seems so hard to find standup on Youtube, these were classic suggestions from other videos after I had been trolling for a while.

Mike Young’s energy was really good, his material is nothing groundbreaking. Really like specials like this with “scripted scenes” cut in. All energy with this guy, but I’ll vouch for it.

Simple. This dude is a killer. Never heard of him, but he is a tactician. Watch it Watch it Watch it. Produced by Tommy Bunz.

I've been searching for great stand-up my entire adult life. I've gone to international festivals, and the "amateur" was much better than the headliner I went to previously. I've seen all the HBO and Comedy Central specials, and only found one (Dov Davidoff) who I didn't know before and actually really liked.

I can find a ton of great music (especially on YouTube), movies not as much, but I can only think of about 10 stand-up comedians I like, and I've seen near a thousand. Lately, I get more laughs reading YouTube comments, or those from chat from those I kinda know. And people in real-life I interact with. Then again, I doubt anyone in here knows my favorite, Mort Sahl (despite him being the "Godfather" of stand-up)

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Seems like I remember seeing this when it was on CC. Use to get so excited when they would premiere new content after midnight, because they would not censor language.

Dov Davidoff is unique in how high-energy he his, while actually having some depth to what he’s saying. Don’t know if he sidetracked his career or if it’s showbiz politics, he is a talent.

Gary Owen’s #Doin’ What I Do is on Showtime and I had a free-trial. It seems like every bit is on Youtube, just not in one piece.

Have always heard about the “white comic who plays the black circuit”, but I never saw any of his material. I enjoyed it. Anytime a grown man is doing childish voices, I’m in.

Nick Thune had been on a podcast a while ago, talking about his substance issues and how dark his life had got. Looks like he is still above water and I’m guessing this was made afterwards. I enjoy this type of stuff a lot. The tags that he comes up with seem to be his strong suit. Searching for a Doctor’s email to tell him that you know what 🍆 look like, really lands with his delivery.

Going to see Normand in Tampa on NYE. Pumped. That dude is like my spirit animal ha.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I've been searching for great stand-up my entire adult life. I've gone to international festivals, and the "amateur" was much better than the headliner I went to previously. I've seen all the HBO and Comedy Central specials, and only found one (Dov Davidoff) who I didn't know before and actually really liked.

I can find a ton of great music (especially on YouTube), movies not as much, but I can only think of about 10 stand-up comedians I like, and I've seen near a thousand. Lately, I get more laughs reading YouTube comments, or those from chat from those I kinda know. And people in real-life I interact with. Then again, I doubt anyone in here knows my favorite, Mort Sahl (despite him being the "Godfather" of stand-up)
Well, you know I was a big Mort Sahl fan, as I sort of grew up with him in the late '50s-early '60s. He was unique at the time-- more cerebral and irreverently droll than anyone who came before. Great topical political satire. We could use one of him today. Winters, Shelley Berman and Nichols & May were big then, but none of them did political stuff. Lenny Bruce came along later. Today Bill Burr nicely touches a little bit on even-handed angled political satire, but of course much more animatedly.

Good tip about Dov Davidoff. I hadn't heard of him, so I just watched a clip of his from The Tonight Show. First rate delivery. Having acting chops really helps his story telling. I'll have to investigate one of his hour-long programs.

Well, you know I was a big Mort Sahl fan, as I sort of grew up with him in the late '50s-early '60s. He was unique at the time-- more cerebral and irreverently droll than anyone who came before. Great topical political satire. We could use one of him today. Winters, Shelley Berman and Nichols & May were big then, but none of them did political stuff. Lenny Bruce came along later. Today Bill Burr nicely touches a little bit on even-handed angled political satire, but of course much more animatedly.

Good tip about Dov Davidoff. I hadn't heard of him, so I just watched a clip of his from The Tonight Show. First rate delivery. Having acting chops really helps his story telling. I'll have to investigate one of his hour-long programs.

Mort sorta created a new language, it's quite amazing. Being born in the 80s, I had to do quite a lot of research (which I enjoy anyway) and learned a lot about the zeitgeist of the times, instead of the retrospective ups and downs events of history. I was very proud to meet and talk with him when I took a few 3,000 sojourns to California. We still do have a Mort Sahl now - Mort Sahl! He was working every week to a live audience, and took online questions, until COVID shut down the theaters.. I'll paste the last show from February down below..

Bill Burr is probably the next guy who is still alive, whose podcast is probably better than his stand-up. I've noticed him softening a tiny bit now that he has a wife and kids, but he's still funny and will still talk about the things most are afraid of, but part of that could be that he's grandfathered in. The same with Carlin, and how no one accused him of all the silly-baloney abbreviations, acronyms, and whatever is trendy.

You gotta check out Dov's hour-long special. He's very unique, but haven't heard from him since.

Do you know Bill Hicks? I recommend his non-released stuff on YouTube, especially the longer shows, where he could riff, talk to the audience. Kinda reminds me of a vulgar Mort Sahl.

Doug Stanhope has been kinda dry, but his specials are pretty darn good. Social/political, anti-PC (which is what I like)..... Also interesting is that I just got this 1961 Playboy in the mail (yesterday) with a panel of Mort Sahl, Lenny Bruce, Steve Allen, Bill Dana, Jules Pfeifer, Mike Nichols -- you'd never read something so "on the money" today, so I just keep living before my time, because along with the music and movies, there isn't anything for someone like me.

You gotta check out Dov's hour-long special. He's very unique, but haven't heard from him since.

Do you know Bill Hicks? I recommend his non-released stuff on YouTube, especially the longer shows, where he could riff, talk to the audience. Kinda reminds me of a vulgar Mort Sahl.

Doug Stanhope has been kinda dry, but his specials are pretty darn good. Social/political, anti-PC (which is what I like)..... Also interesting is that I just got this 1961 Playboy in the mail (yesterday) with a panel of Mort Sahl, Lenny Bruce, Steve Allen, Bill Dana, Jules Pfeifer, Mike Nichols -- you'd never read something so "on the money" today, so I just keep living before my time, because along with the music and movies, there isn't anything for someone like me.

I think I saw Hicks, although I'll have to check to make sure. Terrible about his early demise.

I'll check out Bill Hicks and Doug Stanhope. Thanks for the tips.

We did watch one Stanhope special: Beer Hall Putsch (2013). I'm really impressed with the guy's energy and comedic timing. And I do like his near avoidance of language and trite social justice topics. But his material is DARK. His bit about assisting his mother's suicide got too much for my wife, so I shut it off. But I'll check out some of his other stuff. Any recommendations?

Also looking forward to Dov Davidoff's longer routines.

We did watch one Stanhope special: Beer Hall Putsch (2013). I'm really impressed with the guy's energy and comedic timing. And I do like his near avoidance of language and trite social justice topics. But his material is DARK. His bit about assisting his mother's suicide got too much for my wife, so I shut it off. But I'll check out some of his other stuff. Any recommendations?

Also looking forward to Dov Davidoff's longer routines.

I would start from the beginning.. His last one wasn't very good (kinda like Burr's last two, Louis CK as well) but his first handful were really good. I don't know if I'd recommend watching them all at once, especially if your wife doesn't like the dark stuff..

I've seen him live 3-4 times, and I think his well has gone dry, he also used similar material.. I hung out with him by accident after a show. I took a month-long vacation in Texas, stopped in Chicago to see his show, and after the show, I had nothing to do, so I went to the bar and got a beer, and I hear someone say "Nice shirt, Steely Dan is great" and it was him. He told the bartender he'd buy me the drink, and we got talking about Pink Floyd (he said his favorite song is "In The Flesh", lol) and after a while, he invited me and a few ladies and the opening act to come along to another bar. By 4am, everyone else had departed just outside his hotel room, where he took a piss out on the grass, with multiple police cars a block or two away.. He even gave me this cool book "Amusing Ourselves To Death" (which I unfortunately left in Thailand - another long story), and after finding out my flight was taking off around the same time as his, he offered to give me a ride to my hostel, and then off to the airport we went.

I'm guessing you probably already know Dick Gregory, but his 60/70s stuff was really good, before he got wrapped up with health diet clinics, etc.. Towards his end, he was saying all sorts of crazy stuff, how Obama wasn't going to leave office, lol.

Mitch Hedberg is another good, unique comedian I'd recommend. I usually don't like one-liners, but he was great.

I would start from the beginning.. His last one wasn't very good (kinda like Burr's last two, Louis CK as well) but his first handful were really good. I don't know if I'd recommend watching them all at once, especially if your wife doesn't like the dark stuff..
I'm guessing you probably already know Dick Gregory, but his 60/70s stuff was really good, before he got wrapped up with health diet clinics, etc.. Towards his end, he was saying all sorts of crazy stuff, how Obama wasn't going to leave office, lol.

Mitch Hedberg is another good, unique comedian I'd recommend. I usually don't like one-liners, but he was great.
Good story about Davidoff. I'll start with his Filthy Operation (2010), then move up from there. Also will investigate Hedberg.

Yeah Gregory was good early on, and was good in a few movies. Then he degenerated into politics, and became an embarrassment.