Critique Our Top 10

Tools    

If you dislike a movie, or think it's overrated, or even underrated, or just a discussion on where we agree.
Unfortunately I haven't seen any of your top 10. So I'm not going to get very far.

Nice and easy – I love Escape from New York and pretty much all John Carpenter's films. And the fact that his favourite Kurt Russell film is Captain Ron is an enormous plus.

Nashville, There Will Be Blood, Network, and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest are big time favorites of mine. I told you when you did your 100, I find it interesting that we are on opposite ends of the political spectrum but have a lot of films with political themes in common. I think it speaks to how good artists can make art that speaks to people on many different levels. Also probably speaks to how no matter your political affiliation, the government in this country can annoy the hell out of you.

La Strada, Harry And Tonto, and Birdman of Alcatraz are all fine movies, but very middle of the road for me. None of them ever hooked me emotionally or mentally the way they did you.

I really want to see They Shoot Horses. Need to prioritize it, been on the radar too long.

If there is a major place where me and you differ it is I don't think you let yourself have much fun watching movies. It is great when a movie speaks to you profoundly. It can be just as great to give yourself over to silliness or get an adrenaline rush too.

Batman Returns is a great big slice of Tim Burton isn't it? Much more than Batman I would say. It was great and I'm glad I saw it at the cinema.

I really enjoyed Iron Man as well, but I haven't seen the sequels.

I've only seen Alien, but that was a great film that deserves to be called one of the best in both Sci-Fi and horror.

I've only seen Alien, but that was a great film that deserves to be called one of the best in both Sci-Fi and horror.
I think so too – I think just as a film it's a brilliant piece of work.

Sorry not to be able to offer an opinion on your Top 10 but again I haven't seen them. I notice a lot of people are going for Fury Road though.

I'll be honest, it's not my actual top 10. I was bored so I decided to change it to just my favorite movies of this decade. No worries.

Well even if you are going with favorite films of this decade, Fury Road and ONLY 10? Shame on you. I have not seen Hardcore Henry so I can't comment.

But points for having Nightcrawler, The Raid, and Birdman on the list. Though I prefer Birdman to The Revenant.

Also The Rover I thought was dull. And since it stared a protagonist with an unknown name played by Guy Pierce going through the Outback, I just ended up calling him Felicia the entire movie. I guess he went nuts when Tick and Bernadette were killed in the kinda sort of Apocalypse.

Matt's top 10 is unfamiliar to me. I've seen 3 out of 10 movies and only one I remember well- "Network", which was average, I thought, though it must have been great for it's time. On rewatch I would likely still diss "There Will Be Blood", but I would expect to find "One Flew Over the Cucoo's Nest" average to good.

Iroquois's "Escape from New York" seemed old fashioned and underwhelming to me.

SeeingisBelieving's top 10 is unknown to me ecsept "Alien" which was good.

Optimus's top 10 has 5 of my favorite movies in it, 3 alright movies: "300", "Donie Brasco" & "Scarface" and 2 movies I haven't seen: "Deadpool" & "Boogie Nights". Of the five movies I like, "Wolf of Wall Street" is one I used to loath. But after watching it all the way through I couldn't help but laught at some of their antics. I've come to think of it as being above the usual stoner/ druggie/ crime comedies. "Batman Returns" is one of my most recent favorites too. I liked how it playfully delves into intimate or dark aspects of human psyche with so much creativity. I don't like realism dramas but I think "Batman Returns" has what people find appealing in them and presents it all like a fairy tale. It also has political drama and comedic elements. It's great when movie can make it all work cohesively.

Seanc's top 3 are known to me, but other 7 on his list are not. Of the three,- two are great and "Pulp Fiction" is overrated.

I'll be honest, it's not my actual top 10. I was bored so I decided to change it to just my favorite movies of this decade. No worries.
I know it's not always easy. I wouldn't normally use miniseries, which a couple of mine are, rather than films but I couldn't think of anything else.

I know it's not always easy. I wouldn't normally use miniseries, which a couple of mine are, rather than films but I couldn't think of anything else.
Terry Gilliam puts his "signature" directing before the story every time, horrible storyteller, but was great w/Monty Python, & Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas.

Yeah other than Alien you seem to like alot of pretentious crap.

Terry Gilliam puts his "signature" directing before the story every time, horrible storyteller, but was great w/Monty Python, & Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas.

Yeah other than Alien you seem to like alot of pretentious crap.
A smiley or two at the end of that post wouldn't have gone amiss.

I'm surprised you're calling any of my choices pretentious as well. I can't see it myself.

False Writer's top 10 has 4 of my favorite movies: "Zootopia", Nightcrawler", "Prisoners" & "Mad Max: Fury Road", 2 underwhelming movies: "The Revenant" & "Birdman" and 4 movies I haven't seen.

Gunslinger's #1 "Taxi Driver" was not impressing to me. I love "Blade Runner" & "Mulholland Drive" is my #1 of all time. I haven't seen or don't remember the remaining 7 movies.

I was looking at a documentary about Goodfellas yesterday and I liked Paul Sorvino's story that he fretted about whether he could play Paulie. He was certain he needed a look in his eyes to convey the lethality of Paulie and as he was going out one night he glanced in the mirror and Paulie was staring back at him. I love those moments.

Tongo's "Goodfellas" is quite good and "Forest Gump" & "Silence of the Lambs" were in my top 100. I'm not sure what to think about "Taken" after I've been numbed by it's sequels. I haven't seen other 6.