Hardcore Henry

Tools    

It was nice chatting with you. Not.

That's a joke, by the way, from Borat.

And you'd be wrong about that assumption.
Well then that speaks volumes about you as a person.

Since you've made a film as you say, you should be aware that the production phase is about 5% of what it takes to create a film. And it should go without saying that finding the right actors to improvise is a monumental task in and of itself.

Anyone who thinks 4 years of preproduction, auditioning 2,000 actors and spending 8 months editing is "virtually no effort" well.. I can't think of anything to call that person but a fool.

Anyone who thinks 4 years of preproduction,
You can say you've spent any amount of time on something so long as you're counting all of the time you're NOT working explicitly on the movie in between. I've been working on the same project for 15 years. That doesn't mean I can automatically equate the amount of effort I've put into it over any given period of time to anyone else's project over the same period of time.

Originally Posted by foster
you should be aware that the production phase is about 5% of what it takes to create a film.
auditioning 2,000 actors
I'm not sure where you get the idea that auditioning is somehow more work than production, even given The Blair Witch Project.

it should go without saying that finding the right actors to improvise is a monumental task in and of itself.
By what standards? As far as I'm aware, they put out an ad and just had people line up. 2000 sure sounds like a big number, but I walk past that many people every day and at least a few of them are likely to have some modicum of acting talent.

and spending 8 months editing is "virtually no effort" well..
I spend a tremendous amount of time editing video. It's extraordinarily time consuming. Given what actually ended up in the movie though, 8 months of editing 19 hours down to 80some minutes sounds excessive.

If they actually put in this tremendous amount of work you're crediting them with, then I think it was wasted on the kind of movie they ended up with. SURE, they made their money back, but it's not as if the budget's well reflected by the movie they made.

I can't think of anything to call that person but a fool.
I would suggest, "someone who was unimpressed by The Blair Witch Project". Fool works too.

Welcome to the human race...
As did you. It was nice chatting with you. Not.

That's a joke, by the way, from Borat. In case you 'infer' the wrong thing again, aha.
Borat? I think you need to sit down with Wayne and Garth.
Exactly. The "Not" joke not only predates Borat but is also so old and played-out that an episode of Arrested Development made fun of Michael Bluth for trying to use it to end an argument. The reason that Borat made it funny again is less to do with it being funny on its own and more to do with the fact that he is a foreigner who does not understand American humour and thus keeps mangling such a simple joke in a way that proves funnier than the original joke. The only thing I infer here is that The Kid isn't very good at telling jokes.

This discussion is weird.
It's probably just too hardcore for you.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that auditioning is somehow more work than production, even given The Blair Witch Project.

By what standards? As far as I'm aware, they put out an ad and just had people line up. 2000 sure sounds like a big number, but I walk past that many people every day and at least a few of them are likely to have some modicum of acting talent.
Your ignorance is staggering. But then this is the internet, I should be used to this by now.

Please, enlighten me. Care to tell me where you get that 5% figure?
I think you've got much bigger problems. You think that walking past people on the street takes the same amount of time and effort to audition them. I can't really explain things to a mind like that.

Please, enlighten me. Care to tell me where you get that 5% figure?
I think you've got much bigger problems. You think that walking past people on the street takes the same amount of time and effort to audition them. I can't really explain things to a mind like that.
*laughs* You missed my point.

5 years of development ..
4 months preproduction
2.5 months of shooting
6 months post production

so we have ..
60 months developmen
4 months preprod
6 months post pro
70 months vs 2.5 months of actual shooting

That gives us a figure of 3.5% so I overshot it by saying 5 but I'd say I was pretty close.
How is it that someone who makes movies like you doesn't already know this stuff?

HARDCORE HENRY REVIEW

'Hardcore Henry' has finally hit the big screen and is set to kick a lot of ass! The film is shot entirely through the protagonists view which is certainly a new and fresh take on the action genre. However will the new take on action films be a success or would 'Hardcore Henry' just be a nice gimmick for a short while?

'Hardcore Henry' is an action film that is shot entirely in first person as if in like a video game. A man - Henry- wakes up in Moscow after receiving terrible injuries. He has no memory of what has happened and doesn't even recognise that he is being taken care of by his wife Estelle (Haley Bennett). As he wakes up he goes through an operation to replace an arm and a leg that he lost. He also finds out that he had severe facial injuries and has been repaired mechanically so he is now half man, half robot. Before his wife can put his voice modular in, the laboratory they are in is attacked and they are forced to escape. In the process Henry is defeated by Akan (Danila Kozlovsky) and his large group of cronies and his wife is captured. With the help of Jimmy (Sharlto Copley), Henry will track down Akan and exact revenge on him whilst saving his wife and the world from Akan's plans.

The main talking point about this film really is about the first person aspect. The film is uniquely shot from the view of the antagonist throughout the whole film. A problem that could of been with this would be the irritation this could cause to peoples eyes and how it could even make you feel sick. I've seen several reviews saying that the felt this throughout the film. Personally my eyes didn't get too irritated but the people I was with did mention that it did start to hurt their eyes. I definitely feel that it could be a problem for people especially if your eyes are quite sensitive.

The aspect of been filmed in first person also does wear off after a while. It is pretty cool that they were able to film this in that specific way but it does lose its impressiveness after a while. However that being the case, the new look at how action is filmed is impressive and does work a lot of the time. The specific scene where Henry and Jimmy are accompanied by two females on a sort of motorway is very impressive in the way that it is filmed and also to how well the stunts were done. A lot of the action is very good and the way it is shot really doesn't take anything away from it. I was worried that maybe due to it being in first person that there would be a lot of things happening that we wouldn't see but the film did a good job of keeping an eye on what was happening.

The film most definitely feels like both a simulator and a video game. At first it could easily of fitted in at a ride in a theme park which wouldn't be a terrible idea I guess. That is entirely due to the first person aspect which again makes it good for a short while and then it starts to lose his ability after a while. The film then starts to seem a lot more like a video game due to the exposition. At many times, Jimmy will contact Henry on his phone telling him where he needs to be and what he needs to do. Very video game like in that aspect as he would pop up after he had accomplished something to tell him what was next. A Hardcore Henry video game also would not go a miss at all as it is really a story that would work on the platform just as well or even possibly better.

The film does bring us a great performance though and that comes from Sharlto Copley. He is great as the character Jimmy and brings a lot of humour to the film which it does need at times. The character was also done very cleverly as he continues to reappear when it seems like he is down and out. The way that this eventually shown is very clever and added a lot of quality to the film. Seeing the crazy antics from Jimmy was always great as his brave and wild ways were highly entertaining throughout the whole film. The film needed a great, charismatic presence in the film due to Henry's inability to talk and they certainly got it from Sharlto Copley.

One thing that puzzled me was to do with the main villain Akan. In a world where everybody else was human and they had this advanced technology, the villain strangely had powers as if he had the force from Star Wars. However there was no explanation or no hints to why he was able to move anyone or anything with his mind. An explanation I think was needed to why this was possible but we never got any. Due to this as well, the villain never ever seemed in trouble and was overpowered compared to Henry. Whenever they encountered it wasn't believable that Henry would be capable of doing anything against him as he was easily put aside every time. This is until the end where it is very baffling to see how the last encounter plays out when he had no struggle in any of the other confrontations.

The film does deserve a lot of credit for the action in it. There are lot of scenes that are really insane which are done incredibly well. There are some very well choreographed scenes in this film which is clearly seen in the last scene. Also there is a very good chase scene in the film as Henry pursues a target throughout Moscow which is very exciting and done tremendously well. Hardcore Henry most definitely did bring us some brutal and crazy action that it promised.

Final Verdict: Hardcore Henry =

Some good action and Sharlto Copley is magnificent but the first person aspect does lose its magic after a while and people may find it irritant.

Master of My Domain
An action movie filmed entirely from the POV of its antagonist would be interesting.
Camera pans over to show the hero killing all the antagonist's enemies, who are missing every shot they fire.

Camera pans over to show the hero killing all the antagonist's enemies, who are missing every shot they fire.
*cut to villain, drumming his fingers on his awesome throne*

*Villain calls over nearby Minion* "How comes the hero?"

"Uhh... he's slowly making his way through our defenses, my liege."

*Villain shoots Minion in the face with a concealed gun*

"Then either stop him or get out of his way, I'm SICK OF WAITING!"

*Villain discards gun, Minion #2 approaches* "Sir-"

*Villain shoots Minion #2 in the groin with second concealed gun, discards second gun, Minion #3 approaches, hands over his groin* "Sir, the Mega Ultimate Doomsday Weapon of Murder Death is prepared."

*Villain stands up suddenly, causing Minion #3 to flinch, begins pacing around the room in practice for his monologue* "Good, do not fire until I am defeated and you are too demoralized to pursue the plan yourself."

"What if I'm not too demoralized?"

*Villain shoots Minion #3 in the groin with third concealed gun* "Fetch The Princess."

*Villain discards third gun, Minion #3 limps away bleeding and returns with a busty maiden in shackles before exsanguinating on the floor*

"You fiend, Victor Von Villain! You'll never get away with this! My Hero will stop you! What do you plan to do with me!?"

*Villain caresses The Princess' chin* "I mean to strip you down to a PG-13-appropriate level of clothing and then non-specifically blackmail you into feigning your love for me in a gambit to incite The Hero to rage where he will be emboldened to kill me, but resist delivering the finishing blow after I loosely suggest that he and I are one and the same."

"H-how could that feasibly accomplish anything?"

*Villain shoots self in groin with fourth concealed gun* "I get off on pain."

I suggest using the POV mainly to direct the antagonist's gaze towards anachronistic and licensed food products as he becomes unrealistically peckish.