Who Are Your Intellectual Heroes/Heroines?

Tools    

Who's going to believe a talking head?

Andy Warhol

William S. Burroughs

There are some people throughout history who have changed your life or left you inspired by the sheer genius of their work. My intellectual heroes are...

Sir Isaac Newton
Thomas Edison
Marie Curie
Pierre-Auguste Renoir
Aldous Huxley
John Keats
Andy Warhol
William S. Burroughs
Virginia Woolf
Leo Tolstoy

Who are your intellectual heroes and heroines?

And how can I forget this guy:

John Lennon

To elaborate, basically Neoplatonism...

I've read tons of stuff on Neoplatonic Philosophy: Platonism (capital 'P') and platonism (small 'p').

I use a lot of it as the basis for my beliefs in God and the ways of Religion... though I won't label myself with an actual Religion.
I also use a lot of it as a basis for understanding people and life in general.

Socrates
Plato
Aristotle
Hierocles of Alexandria
Homer

Hermes Trismegistus
Marsilio Ficino
Giovanni Pico della Mirandola

Julian Jaynes
Great list, The Rodent. Socrates is also a hero of mine. But a question: Does neoplatonism believe in a supreme being or force behind the world's creation? I assume that philosophy took a great hit during the medieval ages, which centered around religion, as compared to the Greeks who exalted Man rather than God.

My dead intellectual heroes include the following names, most are economists and social philosophers because I am from the social sciences:

Friedrich Hayek

Read about a dozen of his books and dozens of his papers. Nobody influenced me more than him.

Ludwig Lachmann

Jean-Baptiste Say

Thomas S. Kuhn

Socrates

Reading Plato's work about Socrates' teachings.

Plato

Aristotle

Werner Heisenberg

John von Neumann

Gerard Debreu

Edward Gibbon

Akira Kurosawa

The dialogue in his films is full of interesting insights. From a purely intellectual level, Kurosawa appears to me to be the smartest filmmaker I ever watched. Of course, if compared to pure intellectuals his dialogue isn't that impressive in terms of pure knowledge but his insights show a certain wisdom that is extremely impressive.

Adam Smith

Issac Asimov

His science fiction concepts are very interesting, though he suffers from excessive belief in the application of the methods of the natural science onto other fields. A belief that can lead to social disaster if followed through.

Albert Einstein

I remember reading his book of relativity for layman. Very good and I think I might have grasped this theory at least partially.

Carl Menger

Eugen Böhm-Bawerk

I was expecting Jesus to show up somewhere

@Guap ^ Totally forgot about Einstein... one of the few Philosophers/Scientists who had ideas I have trouble understanding... I understand some of it, but not all.

I still enjoy occasionally reading up though.

Do people consider poets and painters intellectual?

I was expecting Jesus to show up somewhere

You mean the self-proclaimed Star Baby who talked about Ghosts after declaring himself as a God...

I reckon Da Vinci could be classed as a painter artist type... smart guy too.

He was developing the science of flying machines hundreds of years before their time.

Great list, The Rodent. Socrates is also a hero of mine. But a question: Does neoplatonism believe in a supreme being or force behind the world's creation? I assume that philosophy took a great hit during the medieval ages, which centered around religion, as compared to the Greeks who exalted Man rather than God.

Well, a number of religious bases are derived from a relationship with Neoplatonism.
Neoplatonism itself could be considered a religion and quite often is.

Esotericism is similar but studies the basis of outward intelligence and a similar thinking known as Nous. Nous is basically logic and intelligence... sometimes referred to as The Mind's Eye.
Plato was one of the first to research and reveal Esotericism... and Homer was a pioneer of Nous... which led other Philosophers down their paths to discover something called Prisca Theologia.
Esoteric religions include anything from early Christianity to Taoism and even Neoplatonism itself.

The type of thinking mentioned a moment ago called Prisca Theologia uses a lot of logic (Nous) and scientific research to understand the meaning behind why there are so many religions and the similarities between them.
Prisca Theologia, which was worked on by three of the names I mentioned: Hermes Trismegistus, Marsilio Ficino and Giovanni Pico della Mirandola... are related to Hermeticism, Esotericism and... Neoplatonism...

Simple terms for Neoplatonism: Platonism with a capital 'P' is the study of Plato's teachings and the mindset of learning and developing those teachings. Using logic and intelligence to understand stuff.
The basic name for this is Neoplatonism.

platonism with a small 'p' is the use of Plato's teachings and the mindset of those teachings, basically logic, to understand and learn about outward intelligences, third realm existences and so on... like God for instance... however platonists (small p) don't have to use the logical side of Neoplatonic Philosophies as a lot of the time logic and science tends to discredit God and a third realm, spirituality and so on, but they can use Plato's teachings and Nous if they wish... and quite often do too.

All these things are connected through various means, but yes... some people who believe in Neoplatonic Philosophies believe in a God... or at least a God like "entity" that is behind all existence and use logic and science, namely Nous, to theorise and study how this illogical existence could work.
I'm one of them.

Another simpler term for it is Perennial Philosophy. The Philosophy of Religion.

"Good art wounds as well as delights. It must, because our defenses against the truth are wound so tightly around us. But as art chips away at our defenses, it also opens us to healing potentialities that transcend intellectual games and ego-preserving strategies."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollo_May

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_Cantor

#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!