Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Tom Hardy got ripped, he should have one best supporting actor.
Oh I know it Citizen! Now granted I didn't see Bridge of Spies but I do think that Hardy was just as amazing as Leo and for sure deserved to win it.

Bad Lieutenant

Faith. Violence. Morally ambiguous characters. We're definitely in Abel Ferrara territory. I don't consider this one of his best, but it's still a gripping character-study. The final minutes are very powerful.
Still yet to see one of his films. I recorded this a while back but my mum has problem deleted it since I've been away from home. I have King of New York on Blu-ray, that looks really good too.

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

It's okay.
Okay? It's okay? This is a great film, granted it could probably do without the weird short film type thing at the beginning, but I think for number of laughs this might be the funniest Monty Python film

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
this might be the funniest Monty Python film
Funniest Monty Python film? That's not really saying much is it? In terms of prestige that's an accolade right up there with most aesthetically pleasing turd. Or best Westlife song. Or the smartest thing Joey Essex has ever said. Oh, or the best review ever written by Daniel M!

I have to return some videotapes...
Midnight Special (2016) -

The problem I have with this film is it shrouds itself in mystery so much that you never really get to know any of the characters. Sure some of the elements are beautiful, but I never felt like I had much of a connection.

Unregistered User

Point Blank (1967)

Really enjoyed this. Generally I love themes of isolation so this was right down my street, with Lee Marvin a man left for dead and hell-bent on revenge. Speaking of the main character, I thought he was excellent, as usual playing the cheated tough guy who shows little emotion, with the exception of some flashbacks which worked very well. Boorman does a great job directing and making this a stylish, at times psychedlic noir/thriller.

Nice recommendation HK.

+

Welcome to the human race...
Tombstone -

Would be significantly lower if not for the fact that Val Kilmer gives what might just be his best performance here.

Welcome to the human race...
I really like that film, but are you sure HK recommended it? I thought he disliked that one
Honeykid disliking something is practically a recommendation in its own right.

I'd have recommended it to SL even if I do dislike it. In fact, I think I had it on my 60's recommendations list. It is boring, though and I hate Lee Marvin in everything.

Anatomy of a Murder -
-

Excellent film. I don't have much to say about it right now because i'd mostly like to talk about the plot and i can't be bothered with spoiler tags atm. All i'll say is that i would be shocked if this doesn't end up on my 50s list.

The Tailor of Panama (2001)

Nice black comedy/espionage film with Pierce Brosnan as a disgraced spy for MI6 who is sent to Panama on a mission to keep him busy instead of punishing him. Once there, his superior has him looking for something/anything that will bring cachet back to MI6 and Britain. Brosnan discovers an actual tailor (Geoffrey Rush) who crafts handmade wardrobes for all the powerful government people in Panama. Brosnan blackmails Rush and has him getting "secrets" from them for he can deliver them back to Britain. The thing is, Rush (and this is no spoiler, it's obvious from the get-go) makes up almost everything, but it sounds so juicy that Brosnan doesn't care if it's lies or not. Until he does. The back-and-forth of stories and the "are they lies or aren't they" scenes in the film are hilarious. Brosnan and Rush make a great, albeit unlikely, team. Jamie Lee Curtis plays Rush's wife who works for the Panamanian president, who has secrets of her own. Brendan Gleeson and Leonor Varela have excellent supporting roles as friends of Rush's who figure into Rush's tales and may or may not be involved in reality. This movie is pure entertainment, lots of fun, and well worth your time. Everyone is excellent, but I give the main props here to Geoffrey Rush. Fine directing by John Boorman.

Rio Bravo (1959 Rewatch---first time since childhood)

Super fun Western that is widely regarded as one of the finest ever. I don't know if I'd go that far but it is hugely entertaining. This is the first of a sort-of trilogy that has the same basic story, with all three directed over the years by Howard Hawks. John Wayne, Dean Martin, Angie Dickinson, Ricky Nelson, Walter Brennan, Ward Bond, Claude Akins, and John Russell all star with the first five stars featuring prominently. The tale (like the others) involves a lawman, a drunk, an old deputy, and a young gun, who all band together to keep a killer in jail while the jail comes under siege by the killer's family and hired guns. Of course, since Dean and Ricky are in it, there's time for a couple of songs. They don't just break into songs for no reason. I't s when they're holed up in the jail that Dean and Ricky team up for a couple of old trail-songs. The only fairly slow part of the movie but it's saved when Walter Brennan joins in with his harmonica and "sings" a few notes. Great stuff all-around.

The Kingdom (2007)

A small group of government agents are sent from the U.S. to a Middle Eastern country to investigate the mass murder of American soldiers and their families and the bombing of a nearby American building and run into interference at almost every step. The agents are played by Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Garner, Chris Cooper, and Jason Bateman and they all do a good job. But the movie is practically stolen by an actor named Ashraf Barhom, who plays the team's guide in the foreign country. It takes a little time for them to warm up to each other, but Barhom's character ends up indispensable to the team. Fine acting and a lot of action make up for a winning movie.

Forsaken (2015) -

I didnt expect much from this movie but i give it a watch anyway to see something diffrent and not perfect all the time. I think this movie had potential, but i think it was too short and the main two charathers played by Kiefer Sutherland( John Henry Clayton, Son) and Donald Sutherland (William Clayton, Father) didnt do good, sometimes Kiefer got a few good scenes but that was all. The only charather and the actor i liked was Michael Wincott (Gentelman Dave Turner). There were some decent scenary in the movie too. All to say dont expect much from it, beacuse you will be dissapointed ...

West Side Story: a ten-rating, as usual.