Movies that could have a future cult following.

Tools    

Pineapple Express and Grindhouse will have a cult following.

Escape from Tomorrow (2013)

I just watched this and I'm pretty sure that this film will get a decent cult following in the future. It was already one of the most discussed films on the Sunset festival and one of its fans was the late Roger Ebert! He even let it screen on his own festival.
It's really something different and it's actually very well made, in my opinion. It's not for everyone, though. I can see a lot of people disliking this film, because it's so weird and diabolic in some parts, but it wouldn't be the first cult film with a lot of haters.

The film itself is some sort of darkly comical, psychological, horror-like rollercoaster from a family man who spends his last day of vacation at Disney World. His morning starts really bad, as he receives a call that he is getting fired and from that moment on we see him "interpreting" the typical place of happiness in a dark, but weirdly intriguing way... I won't say too much, as you have to see it for yourself, but I'm pretty sure that some members here will at least appreciate it and maybe even love it (others will completely hate it, though).

I have to say, I'm a fan! It's one of my favorite movies of the year so far.

Finished here. It's been fun.

some recent films I think are bound for cult status.

Escape from Tomorrow (2013)

I just watched this and I'm pretty sure that this film will get a decent cult following in the future. It was already one of the most discussed films on the Sunset festival and one of its fans was the late Roger Ebert! He even let it screen on his own festival.
It's really something different and it's actually very well made, in my opinion. It's not for everyone, though. I can see a lot of people disliking this film, because it's so weird and diabolic in some parts, but it wouldn't be the first cult film with a lot of haters.

The film itself is some sort of darkly comical, psychological, horror-like rollercoaster from a family man who spends his last day of vacation at Disney World. His morning starts really bad, as he receives a call that he is getting fired and from that moment on we see him "interpreting" the typical place of happiness in a dark, but weirdly intriguing way... I won't say too much, as you have to see it for yourself, but I'm pretty sure that some members here will at least appreciate it and maybe even love it (others will completely hate it, though).

I have to say, I'm a fan! It's one of my favorite movies of the year so far.
Been looking forward to this since hearing about all the buzz it got at Sundance. Looks like it's on the web so I should be able to see it soon.

Been looking forward to this since hearing about all the buzz it got at Sundance. Looks like it's on the web so I should be able to see it soon.
Be sure to let us know what you thought of it!

I think the fans of surrealistic cinema will particularly like it (although this film also has something to cling to for the people who are more literal-minded).

Paranormal Activity?Saw?Spring Breakers?Maybe Machete trilogy?Hunger Games?Cornetto Trilogy?

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
The Lone Ranger probably will. It was a huge bomb (seriously why the hell does a Western need a budget of 200 million?) and got bad reviews but quite a few people seem to like it for some reason.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Foxfur Damon Packard

I'm pretty sure Packard already has his own cult following and I can see this film building up to cult status.

^^ I'd say Dredd already is tbh...

I'd say Kick-Ass and the sequel. Made a bit of a splash and the sequel was more revered by fanboys rather than the whole audience who went to see it.

The Hangover series, it's like the American Pie series for 30-somethings and much like Pie I expect the Hangover cast to shoot another ill-advised sequel in 5 years time when the casts careers need a refresh.

The Lone Ranger probably will. It was a huge bomb (seriously why the hell does a Western need a budget of 200 million?) and got bad reviews but quite a few people seem to like it for some reason.
I agree with you, Voigan. It took nearly twice as much overseas as it did domestically and the reviews were often better, too. Not that it was feted as a great film or anything, but most of the real bile seemed to come from the US.

I can't remember if I said this before, but I can see Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist getting a cult following.

Like I said on another thread, I think Cloud Atlas will be the next big cult film.

Actually,I gave it some thought and I think that cult films are dying if they're not dead already.

I did some research (ok,I only checked wiki because I'm lazy) and it says that a cult film has a fanbase,even a subculture or constant quoting of the movie.

Now,in the 70s,when the term first appeared, people went to movies and talked about them and it was special as there wasn't a way to download them.Even when buying the DVD,people,I believe gathered tons of their friends to watch the movie.I think it's obvious that the society was more outgoing then as there wasn't the Internet.My father told me that the first American movie he saw was Terminator and he was just blown away.Literally.He watched it with his friends and they were all simply amazed.They used to play outside imagining that they're in the film or something.This is how cult films happen.

Now,in the 21st century,cinemas are not a big deal.It's just a place to take your date or very rarely,to actually see a movie that you were waiting for.Majority download movies and watch them alone at home.Some people watch movies with their phones.There's no magic in the film anymore,well atleast there's no magic that was in the 70s.Now,random person downloads Robocop remake,watches it a alone,turns it off,writes a mean comment on the Internet and that's it.How can this become a cult?

The only movie I could think of that was really a cult was Twilight but that was in the 00s basically.
The only way I can see a movie becoming at least close to cult film in 2010s is when they are referenced on the Internet,especially via memes like Dark Knight,Inception,LOTR,Harry Potter and maybe some others I forget.

Now,don't get me wrong,I didn't live in the 70s and there's no way for me to witness it but I talk to people and from what they say,it seems like an amazing time to live for movie fan.

I think Cloud Atlas will be the next big cult film.
Cloud Atlas?Seriously?How is that a cult film?Question 100 people on the street,you'll be lucky if 5 of them even know what you're talking about.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Grindhouse will have a cult following.
I'm not part of a cult... am I?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Cloud Atlas?Seriously?How is that a cult film?Question 100 people on the street,you'll be lucky if 5 of them even know what you're talking about.
That's true of most cult films.

I think defenatly the film Observe and Report will have a cult status.
For me alone, it does. I dunno about anyone else, though. I don't hear about it anymore. But in the future... who knows? Maybe a new generation will rediscover it. From what I can tell, it seems to have fallen off the radar, but it could be a current generational problem. I could watch it over and over.

I am hearing a lot of people say they love This Is The End. Maybe that's just 'cause it came out this year, I dunno, but with the cast and the concept, I think it could linger as a memory piece. Something to represent 2013 and our current time. All of these Seth Rogen/James Franco/Jonah Hill things that have been coming out over the years will. I mean, to me, they're always gonna make me think of my 20's, 'cause we're all about the same age, me and those guys. It's like I have my own version of the '80s brat pack or something ('cause I really don't feel like I had such a thing when I was a teenager -- I had the American Pie films, then. Yawn.)

Cult films, from how I see them, tend to be born a cult film, I think. Napoleon Dynamite was instantly a cult film -- so was Donnie Darko. Other things I can think of I knew had an edge and an appeal to them back when they were first released. So, if something's not already deeply appealing -- such as Observe and Report -- I think you can forget about it.

Dallas Buyers Club, dare I say, might be one. I know I just recently saw it, but it has that kind of glow to me. It's also not very big. And it has Jared Leto in drag. And it's kind of got an edginess to it -- deals with AIDS, has a small controversy about it because some people are pissed that they made an AIDS film about a straight guy. It's a film with a dark theme, but I found it very powerful and moving, so it might live on because of that. I hope it does, at least. Normally, I wouldn't be rushing out to see a movie about AIDS (I still haven't seen Philadelphia) but that movie sent me to the movie theater to see it. THAT says something to me.

Cult films don't need to be that famous, you know. They're not like blockbusters. They mostly speak to a specific sort of people and sometimes (but not that often) they become very famous with the big audiences (like The Big Lebowski or Fight Club).

The point is that they're not mainly famous because of studio marketing techniques, but because of word of mouth.

I would actually even say that there will be more cult films in the future, because of all the new sorts of communication we have acces to (this forum is a great example of that).