Anyone skeptical about Spike Lee’s version of OldBoy?

Tools    

It's the kind of movie that does not deserve a remake. Obviously the release of Spike Lee will suffer comparisons with the original, so it has to be something transcendent or will be unnecessary work. And although I feel that Spike Lee is a talented director but I do not think that is the kind of movie that best suits him. Maybe in the hands of David Fincher could leave something interesting.

I'm interested in this, I think that the Korean film is great, so it'll be interesting to see how the manga is adapted into an American film.

Never seen a Spike Lee film, and from what I've heard the guy seems like a bit of a d**k, like his Django Unchained comments, but I want to see what his films are like, what I find interesting is that Samuel L. Jackson, one of Tarantino's closest colleagues and defender of his use of the 'n word' is working with Spike Lee in this film and has done before

I am the Watcher in the Night
Not a huge Lee fan but he has made 2 outstanding films thus far. I'll be very interested if this is based on the manga and not a remake of the original movie, from what I've heard it seems to be the former.

I loved the Korean take on the manga so we'll see how Hollywood goes. I do think Brolin is genius casting for the lead.

My boss is a massive fan of this movie and the remake is all i've been hearing about for weeks.

I'm skeptical about pretty much everything Spike Lee has done since Do the Right Thing. That was such a fresh movie when it came out, but Spike's done very little inventive film-making since then.

Overall, Spike is a pretty good director. I like his cohesive style. I'm intigued that he chose OLdBoy, a pretty much perfect movie. I'm going into this with an open mind to see what he does with it.
Takeshi Miike botched Hara Kiri but Beat Takeshi had a better sequel to his Outrage (Beyond Outrage), so you never know.
I wonder how Spyke will get into the Korean frame of mind or does he plan to westernize it?

Kakarot89: The Infamous Thread Killer
Okay, so I just saw the trailer for this and I am f***ing p***ed! Spike Lee was going around saying that his film was going to be based on the manga. Instead, it's a complete remake of the original film...only by a director I feel is completely incompetent. They even showed the infamous hallway fight scene and it looks like crap. I'm more upset about the lie being presented. That's like saying John McTiernan is directing Die Hard 5 but instead they gave it to John Moore but we didn't know that until we saw the first trailer. Just giving my two cents.

I don't like Spike Lee. I haven't seen the original Oldboy, but I'll tell you what this looks like to me -- it looks like Spike Lee is trying to copy Quentin Tarantino.

I thought the trailer looks okay... about what I expected to see... which is part of the problem.

It will probably be an okay re-interpretation but I still hope it fails. I'm not particularly looking forward to seeing Keanu in Mr. Vengeance.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Im looking forward to this, thought the trailer was awesome