I can finally watch PG-13 movies

Tools    

Golem/Smeagol + "My precious!" + Walking, talking trees + "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" + Orlando Bloom =
For me, that's an epic night.

Guap does have a point, though. Some movies obviously have certain demographics that they try to appeal to, though anyone can enjoy any movie that they want to. He's just wrong about LOTR. Those movies have something for everything.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Chappie doesn't like the real world
For me, that's an epic night.

Guap does have a point, though. Some movies obviously have certain demographics that they try to appeal to, though anyone can enjoy any movie that they want to. He's just wrong about LOTR. Those movies have something for everything.
Of course movies have certain demographics they are targeting, but the wider appeal of a movie for them the better. I would think. It sure makes financial sense to me.

My problem lies with listing specific movies and assigning them to a specific age, gender, what have you. That's when it starts to feel a little insulting, I guess, as well as just being simply not accurately representing the women I know and the woman that I am. While I wouldn't consider them among my favorite there is a reason I go and see every single super hero movie that comes out. I wouldn't even say that they are specifically targeted to the male audience either anymore than most movies are. There may be a type of person who is more drawn to a super hero flick, I'm not sure that's even true, but I do know it doesn't have much to do with gender.

You seriously need to meet more women, Guap. Super hero movies are for boys, my behind. Seriously, what am I some sort of defective woman or a woman that really wants to be a boy?
Of course not. You like some movies that were designed with a young male target audience in mind. There is no problem in that.

I'm neither of those things. Your brain may want to label everything and put it in a box, but I ain't gonna jump in your box and watch freakin Only Yesterday. Geesh.
I am not labeling movies by target demographic. The people who make the movies that design them to fulfill the tastes of a certain target demographic.

Yeah, I've actually seen it and didn't care for it much.
What? You didn't like it? You didn't cry at the end? Noooooooooo..................

Of course movies have certain demographics they are targeting, but the wider appeal of a movie for them the better. I would think. It sure makes financial sense to me.
However, to make the movie appeal to a wider demographic spectrum you have to sacrifice elements that might make the movie to have a stronger demographic specific appeal. So it's always a strategic decision by the producers.

My problem lies with listing specific movies and assigning them to a specific age, gender, what have you. That's when it starts to feel a little insulting, I guess, as well as just being simply not accurately representing the women I know and the woman that I am. While I wouldn't consider them among my favorite there is a reason I go and see every single super hero movie that comes out. I wouldn't even say that they are specifically targeted to the male audience either anymore than most movies are. There may be a type of person who is more drawn to a super hero flick, I'm not sure that's even true, but I do know it doesn't have much to do with gender.
The aggressive action scenes and the concept of holding superhuman power are two things that our society considers to be things that young males like more than females, old males and very small children. Of course, in the end females also like these things, but on average, to smaller extent than males. Testosterone plays a part in that.

I am sorry if I sound insulting but it makes perfect sense to understand that many movies have been made to appeal MORE to specific demographics. I don't think that someone should feel insulted if their favorite movies are made for boys or children or anything different from themselves.

My favorite movies that are Japanese were made for a Japanese audience, most of my favorite movies that are American were made for an American (or at most, American and European) audience. I am neither, I don't feel bad about it and I don't understand why someone might feel bad about it.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Thanx Arcanis for the list. I think I am going to get the Lord of the Rings trilogy out the next time I am at the library.
If at all possible, get the extended version of each of the movies. It does get to be really long, but I feel that it adds a great deal to each movie.

LOTR are boy's movies that's part of the reason why you don't like them.
My sister was the one who got me into The Lord of the Rings, both the novels and the films. Likewise, horror and superhero movies are typical date night viewing for my girlfriend and I (both of which are stereotypically masculine). While demographics can supply overall viewing trends, when divorced from the broadest possible terms, and especially when applied to individuals, they become pretty useless.

a lot of movies are made with a target demographic audience, but calling a movie a "boy's movie" or whatever can sound really sexist and ignorant in the wrong context.
It's sexist and ignorant in any context.

Of course not. You like some movies that were designed with a young male target audience in mind. There is no problem in that.
My problem is with the statement superhero movies being for boys. Why? I want to fly. I want to be invisible. I want to be able to vicariously do super human things. What is so inherently male about that? Why must I be assigned the saccharine sweet movie?

I am not labeling movies by target demographic. The people who make the movies that design them to fulfill the tastes of a certain target demographic.
Yes, I understand that, but maybe you're narrowing it even further? Anyway, I don't want to explore that. I fully admit that I was having a knee jerk reaction to "super heroes are for boys" and you are the one that I kicked. For that I apologize, but I feel this is a worthwhile discussion. I don't care who they're are targeting them to by not targeting female audiences, I feel they are missing a big audience. We need more Buffy Summers in this world.

You didn't like it? You didn't cry at the end? Noooooooooo.................

Sorry, I'm just not that much of a fan of movies that have come out of Studio Ghibli.

However, to make the movie appeal to a wider demographic spectrum you have to sacrifice elements that might make the movie to have a stronger demographic specific appeal. So it's always a strategic decision by the producers.
That's probably correct, but again, I'm specifically addressing my reaction to the super hero statement.

The aggressive action scenes and the concept of holding superhuman power are two things that our society considers to be things that young males like more than females, old males and very small children. Of course, in the end females also like these things, but on average, to smaller extent than males. Testosterone plays a part in that.
I get that men and women are fundamentally very different, but in some things I think it becomes an argument about nature vs. nurture. I don't know about action scenes, but the want of superhero powers I don't see as being assigned solely to the male gender.

I am sorry if I sound insulting but it makes perfect sense to understand that many movies have been made to appeal MORE to specific demographics. I don't think that someone should feel insulted if their favorite movies are made for boys or children or anything different from themselves.
I know you didn't mean to be insulting, Guap and I shouldn't have been such a jerk, but I have strong reactions to being told that things are for boys, but it's o.k for girls to like them too. That feels wrong to me. I feel like those things, even if they aren't, should be geared towards me. I'm not good at explaining myself, but I'll try in another post, if we continue the conversation

My favorite movies that are Japanese were made for a Japanese audience, most of my favorite movies that are American were made for an American (or at most, American and European) audience. I am neither, I don't feel bad about it and I don't understand why someone might feel bad about it.
Yeah, that's not what I am talking about. I'm talking about being excluded from something that I should be included in.

Poor Soul Surfer. Can we start another thread?

a lot of movies are made with a target demographic audience, but calling a movie a "boy's movie" or whatever can sound really sexist and ignorant in the wrong context.
Yeah, I don't think Guap was in any way trying to be sexist, but I also can't help feeling excluded when I hear things like that.

It's sexist and ignorant in any context.
pretty much, but it's undeniably true the movie studios do make certain movies with target demographics in mind. man of steel was most likely made for teenage boys, although they were wrong on that one because nobody can enjoy that movie. a true filmmaker won't try to attract a particular audience, but most of the big-budget blockbusters will do all they can to sell tickets, so if they can heavily attract a certain demographic, they're gonna make a lot of money. it certainly does not mean someone won't like a movie targeted towards them. it's about the studio's intent when making the film, not about whether you can enjoy it. and it is incredibly sexist.

pretty much, but it's undeniably true the movie studios do make certain movies with target demographics in mind.
And I don't deny that truth.

However, being targeted at a male demographic doesn't make it a "boy's movie." It's still just a movie.

Besides that, what Guaporense actually said was "LOTR are boy's movies that's part of the reason why you don't like them." Besides being ignorant and sexist, that statement is just plain wrong. If you look through my Top 100, you'll find quite a few movies targeted primarily at a male demographic. I mean, I seriously doubt Paul Verhoeven had my demographic in mind when he made Showgirls.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I can assure you Paul Verhoeven doesn't shoot a scene, yell cut, rub his hands together and shout "This'll slay all those male Brazilian teenage manga fanboys!" (logical fallacy or not)

A system of cells interlinked
Strictly speaking, there isn't.

However, different demographic groups have different tastes that vary in predictable ways on average (i.e. among groups of millions). Therefore it makes sense to produce movies aimed to satisfy these distinct preferences and hence the existence of boy's movies (like LOTR), children's movies (Lion King) and adult movies (The Godfather), woman's movies (Only Yesterday), etc.

Overall, we can say that there are 5 main demographics for movies (and TV and literature):

1 - Children
2 - Boys (age 10-18)
3 - Girls (age 10-18)
4 - Men
5 - Woman

Some movies may target all these five groups simultaneously (Miyazaki's Totoro or Spielberg's E.T.) while others may target only one (superhero films are boys movies to the core).
Stop trying to tell people how things are, because you can't possibly know. You only know your opinion on how things are. By the bye - I disagree with your opinion on this issue, wholeheartedly, and so does my girlfriend. Each to his own and all that, but I definitely disagree. It's actually a decent subject for discission, so if you wish to start another thread to discuss the issue, do it up, but this thread is for PG-13 film recs...

Let's get this thread back on topic, please.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Plan:
A. Gain access to Guaporense's account
B. Get his account banned
C. Destroy all existing negatives, prints and DVDs from Hayao Miyazaki
D. Feel profoud joy

I just watched a sad PG-13 movie with Dakota Fanning called Now is Good. The movie all together wasnt that great but Dakota was amazing with her English accent. I would say see it if you havent if you want to see a sad ending and good acting from Dakota.

This weekend will be a snowy Lord of the Rings kind of weekend. I am so looking forward to enjoying these long movies.

Thought he lost everything,then he lost a whole lot more.
Well, here is my 2 cents on this thread.
The MPAA is a deeply flawed, frequently biased, usually inconsistent and mostly useless rating system.
A movie that has an R in the U.S. might get a PG equivalent in France or Japan.
Then there is the issue about Unrated movies, many classic films from Europe like "La Dolce Vita "and "Band of outsiders" are unrated, how would you consider those?
You seem to be a bright kid, get your hands on any interesting film that you can find and watch it, regardless.