The C&C Music List Factory

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Obviously I can't speak for Christine but you're certainly right when it comes to me as I always feel like I've barely scratched the surface of country music which is partly why I've often appreciated your noms in the song tournaments.

Thanks for posting those songs - wasn't keen on the Shelly West song tbh but I liked the David Frizzell number - btw posting maudlin tunes in here is fine by me as I love maudlin

I don't want to clutter up your thread with a bunch of maudlin songs, so I'll limit it to one of my favorites. I first heard this song by Chris Young when he was a contestant on the TV show "Nashville Star". (That was an "American Idol" type of show that was specifically for country music.) He co-wrote the song and performed it on the show, and he went on to win that season. He has since become one of the top country music stars.

Chris Young - Drinkin' Me Lonely

Oh I liked that song very much GBG . He has a gorgeous voice

I love his voice. I almost never vote when I watch shows like "American Idol", but I voted for Chris Young when he was on "Nashville Star".

Have to agree he does have a good voice and that's a very nice tune Gbg

I'm glad you both liked it. I don't want to clutter up your thread with songs you hate.
Feel free to put a top ten maudlin country songs list in here if you want Gbg - I certainly won't mind one bit and I'm pretty sure Christine wouldn't object either

Feel free to put a top ten maudlin country songs list in here if you want Gbg - I certainly won't mind one bit and I'm pretty sure Christine wouldn't object either

Thanks, but I'll wait for Christine to respond before I post a top ten in your thread. There are some very depressing songs in country music. Some of them are about alcohol and drinking, and some are just about loneliness and loss.

RUNNING TOP TEN *

10. Dion - Runaround Sue (1961)

9. Four Tops - You Keep Running Away (1967)

8. Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run (1975)

7. Junior Walker and The All Stars - (I'm A) Roadrunner (1965)

6. Tokio Hotel - Run Run Run (2014)

5. Tami Lynn - I'm Gonna Run Away From You (1965)

4. Dennis Alcapone - Run Run (1971)

3. The Spencer Davis Group - Keep On Running (1965)

2. Bee Gees - Run To Me (1972)

1. Martha Reeves and The Vandellas - Nowhere To Run (1965)

*final order decided by Random.Org

I don't know most of those songs, but I love Bryan Adams - Run To You. It probably should have been in the top ten, instead of just an honorable mention.
Ah but is that not part of the beauty of music, where individual tastes differ from widely to only slightly but rarely would two people agree entirely

I liked that theme we had there. It was hard in the beginning but once the thinking hat went on there seems to be a lot of running going on in songs - running away from love or home or commitment.
The only song I really regret forgetting is Bronski Beat's Smalltown Boy , a song that has a certain resonance for personal reasons , great song too

CITY LIFE TOP TEN *

10. Petula Clarke - Downtown (1964)

9. The Specials - Ghost Town (1981)

8. Akon - Ghetto (2003)

7. The The - Heartland (1986)

6. Stevie Wonder - Living For The City (1973)

5. The Crusaders - Street Life (1979)

The Loving Spoonful - Summer In The City (1966)

3. Marvin Gaye - Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler) (1971)

2. Nas - N.Y. State Of Mind (1994)

1. The Members - The Sound Of The Suburbs (1979)

*final order decided by Random.Org

I thought of this theme when I hear The The's Heartland on radio 6 a song I hadn't heard for years, the lyrics of which still cut to the quick. I think we made good choices there Chyp, the only other one I thought we missed is In The Ghetto, by Elvis or Candi Staton.

There's quite a few I could have switched into my selections tbh but I do like the mix we jointly came up with and I'm happy with those both of us eventually settled on putting forward

Thanks, but I'll wait for Christine to respond before I post a top ten in your thread. There are some very depressing songs in country music. Some of them are about alcohol and drinking, and some are just about loneliness and loss.
Looks like I missed reading your comment there GBG. I'd love to see your maudlin top ten, please do post it in here when you have the time. I love a good maudlin song me