Miss Vicky's Movie Commentaries

→ in
Tools    

I can probably give you a link to it -- on a streaming site -- if you're okay with that.

Oh, okay. Well, then, shockingly, we actually agree on something.

I thought it was bad, yet... I had to buy it. It intrigued me for some reason. I guess it works on me in some deep unconscious way.

I thought a lot went by in your story at first... and nobody said anything. It was too much description for me.

BUT, I approve of your story, because I saw themes of loneliness and the gay guy wasn't getting love from his dad and I thought those were true themes.

Yeah, I have the Criterion My Own Private Idaho. Got it last year, around this time, for about $15.

I thought a lot went by in your story at first... and nobody said anything. It was too much description for me.
The characters don't say much in the beginning because it's mostly just backstory. There's a lot more dialogue later on as the love interests are introduced, though still a lot of description because that's just the way I write. I like details. I want to be able to paint a vivid picture in my mind from what's written on the page.

I fill in the blanks. Just give me the story. I'll do my own painting. If I do my own painting, I will LOVE the book more. If you paint it too much yourself, you're serving yourself more.

Anne Rice bothers me because she writes like this -- ON and ON and ON with her descriptions. I can't read her because of it.

A tablecloth isn't merely a tablecloth -- it's this thing that's had YEARS of history. ON and ON and ON with the history of the tablecloth.

On the outside looking in.
LP Quagmire, f**k off. We do not want you hanging out in our thread. Get out of here or I'm going to write to Yoda and have you banned.
The thought of you writing anything is a scary thought, indeed.

Seriously, I was thinking as I read your story, I could condense this into a movie script -- these first few chapters would be the first five minutes of the film.

The thought of you writing anything is truly a scary thought.
Ah, ha ha. Took you a long time to think of this comeback, didn't it?

I'm the opposite. If all I'm reading is conversations, then I get bored. I want to know what's happening - not just what the characters are doing, but what they're thinking, what's going on around them, and I want to know what things look like, feel like, taste like. Otherwise I feel like I'm reading a play or something.

I'm the opposite. If all I'm reading is conversations, then I get bored. I want to know what's happening - not just what the characters are doing, but what they're thinking, what's going on around them, and I want to know what things look like, feel like, taste like. Otherwise I feel like I'm reading a play or something.
But that's why you should make what little you have really matter. Look at the context. Look at the hidden meanings. Look at the subtext. Use your intuitive senses and let the little pieces clue you in.

A sensation must have fallen very low to deign to turn into an idea.

Look at the hidden meanings. Look at the subtext. Use your intuitive senses and let the little pieces clue you in.
There can be just as much hidden meaning in descriptions as there is in dialogue. For example, several of the things I describe are actually metaphors for the things that are happening to the characters.

Anyway, that's what I prefer. I write the sort of the thing I would enjoy reading. I never wrote that with an audience in mind. Also it's well established that you and I have little in common when it comes to taste.

A sensation must have fallen very low to deign to turn into an idea.
Um, what?

What if Crowe didn't make it out of that battle alive?
Then Gladiator would've been a much shorter film.

Sadly until now, I didn't realize Marcus Aurelius is the same guy who plays English Bob in Unforgiven.
He's also Dumbledore, Tarzan, Horse and Captain Nolan. Though that last one's probably just for me.
Love Joaquin's facial expressions. Especially the tongue. Oh god. THE TONGUE.
This made me think of Miley Cyrus. So now I have two horrible tongue images in my head.