Quote of the Day

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Quote of the day....(source unknown)

"You know the world's gone mad when the best rapper is a white man, the best golfer is a black man, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the USA of arrogance, and the Germans don't want to go to war!"

Thanks... I needed that...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Thats good, but what if the English were pronounced the chefs of the world thats all we need.

No offence to the English, both my parents and Brother came from England.

The English would never make good chefs!

It is a well-known fact (at least to fascist pigs such as myself) that the English are all homosexuals! As such, the English would never make good chefs because they are too busy screwing each other!

To be a good chef, you have to have to like food. A pig like me likes food. However, I could never make a good chef because though I like to eat (being a fascist pig), I lack the culinary sensitivity and taste to make a good chef. So, I guess, I have to settle for lying back on the couch and stuffing myself silly with junk food while watching sitcoms on TV!

My favorite quote, by the way, is: "I am not a crook" - Richard Nixon.

Get off my island
If you have nothing good to say, don't say nothing at all

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

There is one post in this thread that I'm just going to say....

......OMGGGGGGG.....

hmmmmmmm.......something is going to hit the fan.......

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

Quote of the day....(source unknown)

"You know the world's gone mad when the best rapper is a white man, the best golfer is a black man, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the USA of arrogance, and the Germans don't want to go to war!"

I read the other day that Charles Barkley originally said that…

A friend of mine sent me this and I thought I would share:

When in England at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of empire building by George Bush. He answered by saying that,

"Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return."

BANNED
Originally posted by Caitlyn

I read the other day that Charles Barkley originally said that…

A friend of mine sent me this and I thought I would share:

When in England at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of empire building by George Bush. He answered by saying that,

"Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return."
Caitlyn, I really respect and admire the fact that you have high, noble ideals. That's fantastic. However, I think you need to be aware of the fact that ideals can be manipulated by people who have no personal scruples or interests other than the profit margin. It's wonderful to have high ideals, but, I think, it isn't so wonderful to be naive in one's idealism.

Take it easy.

Originally posted by Django
Caitlyn, I really respect and admire the fact that you have high, noble ideals. That's fantastic. However, I think you need to be aware of the fact that ideals can be manipulated by people who have no personal scruples or interests other than the profit margin. It's wonderful to have high ideals, but, I think, it isn't so wonderful to be naive in one's idealism.
Huh? She said nothing to imply that her ideals are naive. In fact, I'd venture to say she's as far removed from naive as just about anyone here. I don't think you realize just how condescending the above paragraph is. Perhaps you forget that, though naivete is bad, so is pessimism to the point of paranoia in regards to one's leaders.

Her ideals are high and noble, indeed, and I'm proud to call them my own as well. FYI: if it seems like I'm targetting you for disagreement, it's because you routinely say things I disagree with.

BANNED
Originally posted by Yoda

Huh? She said nothing to imply that her ideals are naive. In fact, I'd venture to say she's as far removed from naive as just about anyone here. I don't think you realize just how condescending the above paragraph is. Perhaps you forget that, though naivete is bad, so is pessimism to the point of paranoia in regards to one's leaders.

Her ideals are high and noble, indeed, and I'm proud to call them my own as well. FYI: if it seems like I'm targetting you for disagreement, it's because you routinely say things I disagree with.
Okay, Yoda, you have said a number of things above that are flat-out untrue. a) I am being not at all condescending in my statements above. All I'm trying to do is point out that noble though Caitlyn's ideals are, she might be unaware of just how low politicians can sink in manipulating idealism to their advantage. b) I am in no way being pessimistic or paranoid. On the contrary, I am one of the most optimistic and realistic people I know. I'm just being very, very skeptical about the motives behind the current administration. Given what I know about George W. Bush and his comrades, you would have to do a lot (and I do mean a lot) to convince me that he is acting out of idealistic concerns himself. I'm glad that you have high and noble ideals too. I, too, believe in freedom and democracy. And I love those ideals. However, there is no way that I would allow myself to be manipulated by cynical, ruthless, mercenary politicians like those in the current administration. Yoda, if you are so supportive of the Bush administration, I wonder what you would have said about the Nixon administration! Would you have silenced critics of the Nixon administration the same way that you refute everything I say?

a) I am being not at all condescending in my statements above. All I'm trying to do is point out that noble though Caitlyn's ideals are, she might be unaware of just how low politicians can sink in manipulating idealism to their advantage.
...yes, I know that's what you're trying to point out. That's condescending. She'd have to be remarkably sheltered to be unaware of the fact that politicans are at times very self-interested.

Given what I know about George W. Bush and his comrades
Your unsubtle jab would be clever if Bush has exhibited even minor communistic tendencies. However, he hasn't.

you would have to do a lot (and I do mean a lot) to convince me that he is acting out of idealistic concerns himself
I wouldn't bother to try much. You will not be convinced.

However, there is no way that I would allow myself to be manipulated by cynical, ruthless, mercenary politicians like those in the current administration.
There you go again: those who support Bush are being "manipulated." In other words, he's fooling us. Again, condescending. I doubt you do it conciously. But you do do it...make no mistake about that.

Yoda, if you are so supportive of the Bush administration, I wonder what you would have said about the Nixon administration! Would you have silenced critics of the Nixon administration the same way that you refute everything I say?
Why would you wonder about that? The two are completely different. What you're saying is "you're defending a politican. I wonder if that means you would defend this other politican!" The answer: no. The question: silly.

I'd also add that I can't see any real link between what you're ranting about and the quote Caitlyn posted. Powell's words were not just eloquent, but completely valid. Yet your response insinuates disagreement.

It's as if you feel the need to add a "but" to every pro-American statement.

BANNED

...yes, I know that's what you're trying to point out. That's condescending. She'd have to be remarkably sheltered to be unaware of the fact that politicans are at times very self-interested.
I didn't in the least imply that Caitlyn has led a sheltered life. All I'm saying is that sometimes politicians can be very expert at concealing their true motives behind a show of patriotism and idealism. It can be so convincing as to fool even the most hardened skeptic, sometimes. I'm just trying to point out that anyone can be taken in by the hollow rhetoric and advertising--even the best of us (more often than not).

Your unsubtle jab would be clever if Bush has exhibited even minor communistic tendencies. However, he hasn't.
Now what do I say to that! LOL! Communistic tendencies??? Do you think I'd be comparing Bush to Nixon if I believed he exhibited communistic tendencies? Perhaps it was just a poor choice of words on my part. Should I use "crew"? "colleagues"? "party"? You tell me!

I wouldn't bother to try much. You will not be convinced.
Try me!

There you go again: those who support Bush are being "manipulated." In other words, he's fooling us. Again, condescending. I doubt you do it conciously. But you do do it...make no mistake about that.
Well... yeah. I do think the Bushies are being seriously manipulated. But I don't think it's condescending on my part to point that out. Actually, in the wake of 9/11, it's very understandable. Perhaps that's why it takes a guy like me--someone external to the American cultural milieu in my origins--to point out just how manipulative the administration can be!

Why would you wonder about that? The two are completely different. What you're saying is "you're defending a politican. I wonder if that means you would defend this other politican!" The answer: no. The question: silly.
I would argue that Dubya carries with him the legacy of the Nixon administration. The two are very, very similar! I was trying to draw an analogy between the two politicians. What I was trying to say was that you are so supportive of the current Bush administration, suggesting that I am paranoid and pessimistic to be critical of its policies, what would you have said were I to be voicing a similar criticism of the policies of the Nixon (or Johnson) administration, esp. pertaining to the Vietnam War?