16th Hall of Fame

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Poison for the Fairies (1984)

Well, I don't really know what to say about this. I usually don't have problems with this kind of roughness on films when the script is good and the acting convicing which unfortunately wasn't the case here.

It started strongly and I liked some bits of cinematography. The ideia to hide the adults' faces was really clever and showed to be very powerful in making the film just about the two girls. The premise had also lots of potential.

Apart from that, I felt really annoyed just making it to the end and then, what could have been a very good finale just hasn't any kind of tension making it a complete bore.

Meh...

+

How do I open the download for Poison For the Fairies?
I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you mean how to open / watch the .mkv file? I just use my usual video player (Media Player Classic) that comes with the codec pack I use.

If you don't usually watch videos on your computer and have no codec packs / players already installed I'd say easiest way to watch just that is to install VLC Media Player.

Poison For the Fairies

Very good. I liked the characters of the girls and seeing what they got up to. The way in which the blonde girl constantly manipulates the other into doing things she doesn't want to do makes me think this film is an allegory for abusive relationships. It was pretty cool how they didn't show the growp-up's faces. I loved that blunt as hell ending and its ambiguity: Was she REALLY a witch or was she pretending?
I only have a few criticisms: I don't really see why it's labelled a horror when the only threatening scenes are the dream sequences. The section where they're simply just getting the recipe items was a little tiring. Something about the audio through most of the film seemed very badly dubbed, or maybe just bad quality sound.

Very good nom pahaK.

Poison For the Fairies

Very good. I liked the characters of the girls and seeing what they got up to. The way in which the blonde girl constantly manipulates the other into doing things she doesn't want to do makes me think this film is an allegory for abusive relationships. It was pretty cool how they didn't show the growp-up's faces. I loved that blunt as hell ending and its ambiguity: Was she REALLY a witch or was she pretending?
I only have a few criticisms: I don't really see why it's labelled a horror when the only threatening scenes are the dream sequences. The section where they're simply just getting the recipe items was a little tiring. Something about the audio through most of the film seemed very badly dubbed, or maybe just bad quality sound.

Very good nom pahaK.

Happy that someone liked my nom for a change I agree with horror label too - I have no idea why it's labeled as horror and I'm pretty sure it gives people wrong expectations for the film.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Frances Ha

Like a few others, this one caught me very pleasantly by surprise.
Perhaps I was expecting something a little more pretentious by the look of the film - something that delved artistically into the inner soul and the human existence but with a more avante garde flourish. . . and it wasn't. There was a engaging subtlety to this film of transition and, perhaps, that's where the pleasant surprise begins.
The transitional state of Frances and her travels are filled with a splendid subtlety and while there is, at a first glimpse, something very First Film, Underground, Independent style to this, it really has, blended in so well that you don't see it right away, an excellent polish and well executed design to it that gives it a very professional finish to it all.
You see it in the beginning montage of moments between Frances and Sophie. It really sets you up for the style of scene cutting, dialogue that draws you in to what is about to be revealed.
All of which worked really quite well for me.

The "cuts" of dive bombing in and out of situations is not an easy thing to achieve without causing a kind of "turbulence" for the viewer; and this movie had no turbulence whatsoever. It all melded and blended quite well. The short snippets made for such a better film and experience. The setting up and proper closing of the scene was completely unnecessary; which is a helluva an accomplishment.
Same goes for the dialogue. It was very natural. Words spoken between anyone, or to a better degree, any of us. It had awkward, incomplete thoughts as we stumble through polite conversation to moments of intricate lucidity to everyday conversation about nothing at all. All in a snippet format that, again, blended with a professional polish.
And the same goes with the acting. You do not see actors. You see people reacting. It's very natural appearing and that is a skill.
Even the camerawork had a beautiful subtlety to it.

It would have been rather unlikely I would have tried this one out on my own except as a blind adventure, which is why I am so very grateful for this site and these HoFs.
Thank you, @rauldc14

very nice that you nominated it, @rauldc12
like I said, I'd probably would have skipped over this one if not for this HoF and the nom. Very happy to have seen it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
MovieMad really hasn't made any progress so unless we hear from him soon his nomination will probably be out. If we hear from him, obviously he's still in but it's been a long while.

Other than that most of us just have a few to wrangle down to watch. I'll be watching 3:10 to Yuma tomorrow and that will leave me just with Fairies to see.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
3:10 to Yuma

A spectacularly made modern Western film! I always had the inkling I would enjoy this film but I've just never gotten around to it until now.

The look of the film is simply gorgeous. Pretty much every scene is done candidly and looks elegant. This has always been a pretty big thing for me in consideration to a good Western.

I consider myself a pretty decent fan of Russell Crowe and I really enjoyed his character of Ben Wade here. He had a certain swagger to him that commanded the screen for me. I also thought Christian Bale was very good. The two surprising actors for me here we're Been Foster and Logan Lerman, both who I thought gave fantastic supporting role performances. It was the performances themselves that I say propels this to a very good film for me. I loved the storyline and I'll have to catch the original 3:10 to Yuma at some point. The ending was the icing on the cake for me to make this film one of the better Westerns I've seen post 1990 (other than the beloved Unforgiven)

I knew you were going to like it! Yay another one for the short list of movies we both like!

I suspect you may be disappointed by the 50s version of the movie, especially if you really liked the ending to this one. They're pretty different.

I was curious to see how you fared on this one, raul. Very glad to hear you enjoyed it.

You mentioned Unforgiven (which deservedly is beloved) regarding post 1990 Westerns. . . have you ever seen Open Range?