Some of your favorites of 2013

Tools    

Check out www.dueltakes.com
I would have to say that my favorite film has to be Dark Knight Rises and The Butler.

Very Good
Gravity - Beautifully acted and visually stunning. Ending was ok at best.
Don Jon - I'm bias toward JGL. Fun to see the growth of the character.
Pacific Rim - Felt like a giddy 10 year old leaving the theater. Story not spectacular as well as the acting. Just a fun movie IMO, don't take it as more.
(Notice how they are all original ideas, I give double the points for that...specially JGL for writing, directing and starring)

Good Enough
Star Trek: Into the Darkness - Entertaining enough, villain was awesome acting. Plot gets a little jumbled for me but still entertaining.
Iron Man 3 - Same as Star Trek entertaining enough. Liked it better then the 2nd one. RDJ is always fun as Tony Stark. Little jumbled too. Both stay in the vein of previous versions
Mud - Conflicted on this one. Worth a watch thou. McConaughy is definitely awesome in it.

Haven't really seen any stinkers this year unless you consider Place Beyond the Pines in 2013. First 2 acts held my attention and were fascinating set up. But the 3rd one is ridiculous to me. Loses all it's steam.

Still left to see in 2013:
The Spectacular Now (Teller is from my home town. So I pull for him. Heard its a great movie)
Fruitvale
12 Years A Slave
American Hustle
Saving Mr. Banks
Wolf Of Wall Street
Inside Llweyen Davis
Anchorman 2

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I would have to say that my favorite film has to be Dark Knight Rises and The Butler.
Dark Knight Rises is a 2012 film.

Very Good
Gravity - Beautifully acted and visually stunning. Ending was ok at best.
Don Jon - I'm bias toward JGL. Fun to see the growth of the character.
Pacific Rim - Felt like a giddy 10 year old leaving the theater. Story not spectacular as well as the acting. Just a fun movie IMO, don't take it as more.
(Notice how they are all original ideas, I give double the points for that...specially JGL for writing, directing and starring)

Good Enough
Star Trek: Into the Darkness - Entertaining enough, villain was awesome acting. Plot gets a little jumbled for me but still entertaining.
Iron Man 3 - Same as Star Trek entertaining enough. Liked it better then the 2nd one. RDJ is always fun as Tony Stark. Little jumbled too. Both stay in the vein of previous versions
Mud - Conflicted on this one. Worth a watch thou. McConaughy is definitely awesome in it.

Haven't really seen any stinkers this year unless you consider Place Beyond the Pines in 2013. First 2 acts held my attention and were fascinating set up. But the 3rd one is ridiculous to me. Loses all it's steam.

Still left to see in 2013:
The Spectacular Now (Teller is from my home town. So I pull for him. Heard its a great movie)
Fruitvale
12 Years A Slave
American Hustle
Saving Mr. Banks
Wolf Of Wall Street
Inside Llweyen Davis
Anchorman 2
I love love love JGL, but I hateddd Don Jon.

I don't go to the movies so I've only seen 6 so far. This is how I would rank them-

1. Pain and Gain
2. Mud
3. The Call
4. The Hangover 3
5. The Evil Dead
6. This is the End

Lord High Filmquisitor
By far, the best movie that I have seen so far this year has been The World's End, which is simultaneously the funniest, most exciting, most dramatic and best acted of the Three Flavors Trilogy. Like The Avengers, I was shocked at just how much character development Edgar Wright was able to allow for each character, especially with such a large primary cast. It was also great to see Nick Frost tackling a far meatier role than I'm used to seeing him in (and pull it off so well at that). 9.5/10

A fairly close runner up, at least thus far, is Much Ado About Nothing. While i'm not the biggest fan of Shakespeare's comedies (give me a nice, meaty tragedy any day of the week), this one was exceptional. The shifts in tone from sometimes-noir-ish to sometimes-comical were well managed and the two leads (plus Nathon Fillion) were consistently hilarious throughout the film. 8.5/10

Captain Phillips rounds my top three. It's possibly Tom Hanks' best role since Forrest Gump, which comes to a dramatic head at the very end of the film (easily the best portrayal of a person suffering from shock that I've ever seen). The pirate captain was equally well-acted. The film was just as tense, thrilling and dramatic as I've come to expect from Paul Greengrass. 8.5/10

A small update:

I recommend:

1. Gravity - Amazing visuals and 3D effects, two great acting performances and a wonderful message make this the best film of 2013 so far for me.
2. Side Effects - Gorgeously directed and very entertaining!
3. Before Midnight - Probably the most profound and most intense film of the trilogy.
4. The World's End - It's full of entertaining scenes and the story is also extremely engaging and poignant. Only the very very ending wasn't necessary for me (the sort of aftermath/epilogue), but that's nitpicking. Great picture!
5. The Way Way Back - It's sweet, it's dramatic (a few times perhaps a little over the top for my tastes), it's sometimes funny and the acting performances are brilliant.
6. Rush - There's fun, there's drama, there's a lot of racing and it all works out pretty well.
7. The Great Gatsby - It's a good film, but there was a certain 'chemistry' lacking, in my opinion. It all looks great, though.
8. The Croods - I Love its message and it has a few wonderful moments.
9. Despicable Me 2 - It's almost as good as its predecessor, because it compensates its weaker storyline with more funny/cute/entertaining scenes.
10. This Is the End - I didn't think it was very funny, but it's entertaining and in some way even refreshing.
11. About Time - It begins really really well until it starts overusing its concept of time traveling for dramatic reasons (in the third act). From then on the film loses its wit and credibility, in my opinion. I still recommend it, but it's definitely overlong.

I don't recommend:

12. Monsters University - It has a few good moments, but it fails to recapture the magic of the first movie.
13. Gangster Squad - An uninspired gangster film without any heart or soul.
14. Only God Forgives - Visually interesting, but overall it's the biggest disappointment of the year so far for me personally.
15. The Hangover Part III - Watchable crap.
16. Movie 43 - Barely watchable crap.

Gonna be hard to put these into an order, but contenders for my top 10 so far are (all 2013 releases in UK):

Stoker, Gravity, Lincoln, The Place Beyond The Pines, Don Jon, Captain Phillips, The Wolverine, Blue Jasmine, Rush, You're Next, Alan Patridge: Alpha Papa, Blackfish, Cloud Atlas and Despicable Me 2.

Worst film is a toss-up between Diana and Olympus Has Fallen.

Film I thought would be in my top 10, but fell out of the race early: Django Unchained.

Lincoln and Django Unchained are 2012 movies.
Well actually some films are released at different times in certain places so for example, only the U.S. got Django released in December 2012 while the rest of the world got it some time in January 2013. So I guess he lives in a different part of the world.

Haven't seen a lot of 2013 films but out of what I've seen, Gravity (which was only a 4/5 from me). Still gotta get caught up as I'm sure there's a ton of masterpieces out there waiting. In terms of the worst, Olympus Has Fallen was dreadful. I get a headache just thinking about that mess.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Man of Steel, The Conjuring, Insidious 2, Warm Bodies, Gravity

As of November...

Best
The Wolverine
Gravity
Iron Man 3
Much Ado About Nothing
Prisoners
Thor The Dark World

Worst
The Lone Ranger
GI Joe: Retaliation
A Good Day To Die Hard
Elysium
Don Jon
Man of Steel
Movie 43

updating mine:
Gravity (10/10)
Crash Reel (10/10)
12 Years a slave 10
Spectacular Now 8
Oblivion (7.5/10)
Sunny (7.5/10) (korean movie)
Dallas buyer's club
Trance 7.5
Wreck it Ralph 7.5/10 *videogamers will enjoy this film immensely more
World's End (7/10)
Pacific Rim 7 *HUGE budget, nostalgiac homage to Japenese Godzilla + Disaster Anime. Closest thing we'll ever get to evangelion movie.
Mud 7
Man of Steel 6.5
This is the end 6.5
Star Trek: Into Darkness (6/10)
Hobbit 6
World War Z (5/10)
Bling Ring 5
The Croods 4
Lego Movie 4. Aimed towards kids, so middle kind of boring for adults. The conclusion is the best part and gets a 10/10.
Elysium 3.5
Europa report (2.5/10)
Spring breakers 1

Adding another 10 to my list, crash reel. I don't even like snowboarding.

Her's my list for top ten movies in 2013 :
10. Stoker
9. Inside Llewyn Davis
8. Gravity
7. Filth
6. Before Midnight
5. Blue Jasmine
4. Frances Ha
3. The Past
2. To the Wonder
1. The Wolf of Wall Street

2014 thread here