Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Ender's Game
(2013)

I didn't like it at all. The girlfriend loved it. We're both fans of the book.

Mostly, it was the script that killed it for me. I'm also not a fan of Ford as Graff. The timing seemed too quick and the plot was just flying by. I don't know how much I would have gotten had I not read the book. I admit, I was also kind of put-off by the things that were changed from the book. I tend to let that bother me more than it should.

I felt pretty much the same way. I go into more detail about my thoughts on the changes from the book in THIS spoiler-filled post.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Meh. It started out promising enough, but then it turned into this sci-fi extravaganza. I mean the movie is light and charming in some areas, but it's not particularly that funny. I chuckled a few times, but it was never hilarious. It's not an awful film, but I don't really like it to be perfectly honest. It's very forgettable and kind of cumbersome.

Meh. It started out promising enough, but then it turned into this sci-fi extravaganza. I mean the movie is light and charming in some areas, but it's not particularly that funny. I chuckled a few times, but it was never hilarious. It's not an awful film, but I don't really like it to be perfectly honest. It's very forgettable and kind of cumbersome.
Sounds like my experience with Shaun of the Dead

The Bib-iest of Nickels

I went to the movies with five of my friends and sat down to watch Thor 2: Dark World, and I have to say that I was greatly impressed with the movie. The first Thor movie was solid, albeit nothing particularly amazing, however, this movie hit all of the write notes. The comedic moments of the movement were arguably some of the funnest ever seen in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and I have to say that even the brief moments of seriousness were highly enjoyable.

I've never especially liked the Thor character, but Asgard felt so intricately embroidered, and every character was allowed to exploit at least some charm into the flick. I think it's easily the third best movie of the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far behind Iron Man and The Avengers.

I went to the movies with five of my friends and sat down to watch Thor 2: Dark World, and I have to say that I was greatly impressed with the movie. The first Thor movie was solid, albeit nothing particularly amazing, however, this movie hit all of the write notes. The comedic moments of the movement were arguably some of the funnest ever seen in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and I have to say that even the brief moments of seriousness were highly enjoyable.

I've never especially liked the Thor character, but Asgard felt so intricately embroidered, and every character was allowed to exploit at least some charm into the flick. I think it's easily the third best movie of the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far behind Iron Man and The Avengers.
Agree. I just saw Thor The Dark World as well and it was a pure blast.

I had very high expectations for this film and, for the most part, it did not disappoint. I was so happy with how epic everything felt. It's safe to say that it's an epic adventure pure and simple. This movie truly knows what it wants to be and it delivers.

9/10

You disappointed me, Godard.
Fair enough, although Godard's style is frustrating and won't be very 'enjoyable' for some, I don't think he really aims to please but instead uses his films to commentate on things and create something very different to what people usually know as a film, it might not interest you but I recommend doing a bit of reading around the film, even if you don't agree, I found it interesting. Le Mépris is similar in it's style, although better in my opinion, you probably won't like that either. I am going to try and watch Godard's Bande á Part as my next film from him, it's supposed to be one of his most accessible and looks pretty cool/normal for a Godard film.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
A question, what do you expect from Godard?

Fair enough, although Godard's style is frustrating and won't be very 'enjoyable' for some, I don't think he really aims to please but instead uses his films to commentate on things and create something very different to what people usually know as a film,
Often, Godard and the French New Wave filmmakers attempt to take a genre and flip it on its head. This definitely can be more frustrating that the American alternative with directors like Scorsese (and the whole New Hollywood bunch) and Tarantino who significantly alter a genre without transforming it. Creating new boundaries for the genre but remaining a part of it.

I am going to try and watch Godard's Bande á Part as my next film from him, it's supposed to be one of his most accessible and looks pretty cool/normal for a Godard film.
But Godard being inaccessible is fun! I don't think we'll ever catch up to Godard, the deranged , reclusive, sexist intellectual, but it sure is a joy to try.

A question, what do you expect from Godard?
Something not as pretentious as Breathless or Pierrot le fou. Something as good as Vivre Sa Vie would be nice.

Something not as pretentious as Breathless or Pierrot le fou. Something as good as Vivre Sa Vie would be nice.
This doesn't answer my question at all. I couldn't think of Breathless or Pierrot le Fou to be pretentious because I don't think either film presents itself as having any real insight or knowledge. Alphaville I'd probably say is pretentious, but no more pretentious than most other sci-fi films I've seen, it's a major problem of the genre. What I'm looking for is perhaps a little more than just statements of discontent "I found Breathless to be overrated" or "You disappointed me Godard" (which a lot of people on the forum seemed to connect with, darn unsolvable films). I'm interested in why you think about these films this way.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

Barbarella

Kitschy, kinky and weird, What more would you want from 60s sci-fi movie? Great music:

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

This doesn't answer my question at all.
Um, yes it does. Ask anybody else, they'll say that I gave a perfectly clear answer to your question.

What I'm looking for is perhaps a little more than just statements of discontent "I found Breathless to be overrated" or "You disappointed me Godard" (which a lot of people on the forum seemed to connect with, darn unsolvable films). I'm interested in why you think about these films this way.
Isn't this a totally different question? Anyway, the reasons why I did not like Pierrot le fou and why I found Breathless overrated are quite simple. Breathless to me looks pretty dated and I didn't find it cool at all. The dialogue wasn't that interesting, and I couldn't relate to the characters. It looked as if they knew they were inside a movie. Pierrot le fou was worse, because not only did the characters look like they were inside a movie, they looked like annoying characters who knew they were stuck inside a movie they hated, and they just couldn't escape from it. Belmondo's character is somewhat amusing in Breathless, but in Pierrot le fou he isn't likable or cool at all, nor is he interesting. Anna Karina's character was worse. Overall, Pierrot le fou left me cold and I just didn't enjoy it.

Um, yes it does. Ask anybody else, they'll say that I gave a perfectly clear answer to your question.

Isn't this a totally different question? Anyway, the reasons why I did not like Pierrot le fou and why I found Breathless overrated are quite simple. Breathless to me looks pretty dated and I didn't find it cool at all. The dialogue wasn't that interesting, and I couldn't relate to the characters. It looked as if they knew they were inside a movie. Pierrot le fou was worse, because not only did the characters look like they were inside a movie, they looked like annoying characters who knew they were stuck inside a movie they hated, and they just couldn't escape from it. Belmondo's character is somewhat amusing in Breathless, but in Pierrot le fou he isn't likable or cool at all, nor is he interesting. Anna Karina's character was worse. Overall, Pierrot le fou left me cold and I just didn't enjoy it.
That is kind of the point, I think.

That is kind of the point, I think.
Then I assume that it is fair to say that I got what the movie is about, but I don't like how it's about it.

This doesn't answer my question at all. I couldn't think of Breathless or Pierrot le Fou to be pretentious because I don't think either film presents itself as having any real insight or knowledge. Alphaville I'd probably say is pretentious, but no more pretentious than most other sci-fi films I've seen, it's a major problem of the genre. What I'm looking for is perhaps a little more than just statements of discontent "I found Breathless to be overrated" or "You disappointed me Godard" (which a lot of people on the forum seemed to connect with, darn unsolvable films). I'm interested in why you think about these films this way.
Why are science fiction films pretentious? Without quite knowing what you define as pretentious, i have a feeling that what you think is pretentious is what i think is the force of that genre...

I guess i can relate to Godards film being pretentious, as they are very self aware and referential (maybe you could say they are conscious about their context), not that it makes them bad.

Breathless and Pierrot le Fou is my favorites so far.

I guess i can relate to Godards film being pretentious, as they are very self aware and referential (maybe you could say they are conscious about their context), not that it makes them bad.
Exactly, Godard's films do seem very pretentious, like someone who's trying to show off and be cool through stylistic means, like the jump cuts in Breathless, but a lot of directors do this (show off, attempt to be 'cool') and it doesn't bother me or make their films bad

Isn't this a totally different question?
No, I'm sorry if my question wasn't pointed enough, that's basically what I meant. In asking what you expect from Godard, I was basically asking what makes these movies so bad for you, in addition to why you were disappointed rather than just not content with the film. A comprehensive answer would have followed as "This is what I expect from Godard, but the films were this instead, so I am disappointed." Maybe my question was didn't say enough to get this out of you, but it's what I meant.

Anyway, the reasons why I did not like Pierrot le fou and why I found Breathless overrated are quite simple. Breathless to me looks pretty dated and I didn't find it cool at all. The dialogue wasn't that interesting, and I couldn't relate to the characters. It looked as if they knew they were inside a movie. Pierrot le fou was worse, because not only did the characters look like they were inside a movie, they looked like annoying characters who knew they were stuck inside a movie they hated, and they just couldn't escape from it. Belmondo's character is somewhat amusing in Breathless, but in Pierrot le fou he isn't likable or cool at all, nor is he interesting. Anna Karina's character was worse. Overall, Pierrot le fou left me cold and I just didn't enjoy it.
Alright, thanks for the response. I can't disagree with anything you said because what you've indicated is purely subjective, but I'm noticing that relating to or finding a film's characters likable is a major factor in how much you enjoy the films you watch. Is that fair to say?

Among the major directors, Goddard is probably the weakest. His films are most for people that like to torture themselves and like some Marxist inspired social criticism.