The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats

Wall-E

Nothing too interesting to note about this one.

Layout: 2nd (x2), 3rd (x2), 5th (x2), 8th (x2), 9th, 10th, 11th (x2), 14th, 15th, 16th, 20th, 22nd

The Fly

This film is now tied with RoboCop and Planet of the Apes for being on the most lists.

Layout: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th (x2), 7th (x3), 8th, 10th, 12th, 13th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 21st (x2), 22nd (x2), 23rd, 24th (x2)

Oof!
I was getting worried... The Fly is my #3

WALL-E is a top movie too. One of few animations I've rated the magical 101%.

My List: 13/25
Seen: 80/86

02. RoboCop (1987) - 28th
03. The Fly (1986) - 15th
04. Predator (1987) - 26th
05. Moon (2009) - 29th
06. Dredd (2012) - 96th
11. Independence Day - 40th
13. Event Horizon (1997) - 93rd
14. Sunshine (2007) - 52nd
16. Silent Running (1972) - 86th
20. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978) - 58th
22. Galaxy Quest - 88th
23. Logan’s Run - 71st
24. Interstellar - 43rd

I haven't seen WALL-E yet, it is one of the few animated films I'm interested in watching....one of these days I'll catch it

The Fly (David Cronenberg, 1986)

A brilliant but reclusive scientist (Jeff Goldblum) discovers the means of tele-transportation, his science break through will change the world. He convinces a woman journalist (Geena Davis) to document his experiment. As a romance ensues between the two, he tries the experiment on himself. But unknown to him a fly has enter the chamber too, their DNA is combined transforming him into a man/fly hybrid.

I used that photo, as to me that's what the film is about...it's about the trust and love that grew between a reclusive, lonely scientist and the woman reporter who at first tricks him to get the story of the century, but then falls in love with him. Most everyone will focus on the horror elements of The Fly, but it's so much more than just gore, this is a love story.

From the moment the film starts, it pulled me into the story. It felt real to me...the people (Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis) seemed real and they had real chemistry together. In real life they were a romantic couple so the onscreen chemistry is not surprising.

The film stays tightly focused on those two individuals and in that way feels very intimate. By introducing a third character, a love triangle is formed, with jealousy at it's center. That love triangle then drives the story, as each character's emotional reaction creates events that furthers the story along. It's brilliantly done and the best film I've seen from David Cronenberg.

With all of its sci fi horror and special effects, which for the early 1980s were amazing and still look good today, it's the humanity that shines through this wonderful film.

I was 15 when my parents took me to see The Fly. It was an instant favorite for the horror element, and it's remained a favorite for everything else. It's a tight well rounded movie with excellent performances, effects, dark humor, and emotion. I believe it is somewhat a masterpiece.

Wall-E is the only modern animated movie that I've seen at the cinema. It wasn't my choice to go, but I enjoyed it moderately.

My list-

#2 Strange Days (81st)
#4 The Fly (15th)
#6 RoboCop (28th)
#8 28 Days Later (85th)
#9 E.T. (21st)
#11 Total Recall (19th)
#12 The Hidden (82nd)
#13 Planet of the Apes (17th)
#19 Children of Men (20th)
#20 Seconds (84th)
#21 Donnie Darko (83rd)
#22 Interstellar (43rd)
#23 Ex-Machina (30th)
#24 Her (25th)
#25 They Live (45th)

WALL•E is an incredibly beautiful, funny, and moving film. It's one of my all time favorite movies and I voted for it at #5.

Here's what I wrote about it when I rewatched it for the Animation HOF:

WALL•E (Andrew Stanton, 2008)
Imdb

Date Watched: 11/1/16
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: gbgoodies's Nomination for the MoFo Animation Hall of Fame
Rewatch: Yes

I've seen this movie many, many times and - while it's not quite my favorite Pixar film - it is a shining example of the of the quality that the studio made their name on. It is an absolute joy to watch - with gorgeous colors, wonderful humor, an imaginative story, a beautiful romance, and endearing characters.

Despite being a robot that was designed simply to compact and move garbage - and one of the least sophisticated machines in the film - Wall•e demonstrates the most emotional range and the most human-like traits of any character in the film, actual humans included. In many ways, he's like a toddler - full of innocence, curiosity, and just a touch of mischief. He's a collector of trinkets and trash - of anything that interests him, but at the film's start we find that his only companion is a cockroach. (BTW, who knew an animated roach could be so damn cute?)

All that changes when an Extra-terrestrial Vegetation Evaluator probe arrives on Earth with a classified directive. Wall•e is smitten and these early scenes between Wall•e and Eve - with his clumsy attempts to win the affections of the fierce and beautiful newcomer - are incredibly sweet.

And while there are underlying themes about consumerism and humankind's abuse of the environment, the love between Wall•e and Eve is what carries the film. The scene where the pair dances in space is nothing short of magical and the later scenes where Eve discovers the depth of Wall•e's devotion to her and her realization of how much he means to her are absolutely heartwrenching.

But it's not all about love and tears. It's also about laughter - from sight gags like Wall•e's confusion over where to place a spork, to more physical comedy like his interactions with the Microbe Obliterator (Mo) - I find myself far more amused by this than by most live action comedies.

While it might not be a truly perfect film (though if there's a flaw, I'm blind to it), it is for me at least a perfect film watching experience, and this may well be the first HOF in which the number one movie on my ballot likely won't be my own nomination.

I haven't seen The Fly.

My Ballot:
1. Her
2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
3. Wreck-it Ralph
4. Mad Max: Fury Road
5. WALL•E
8. Demolition Man
9. The Fifth Element
12. Signs
13. The Road Warrior
14. The Incredibles
21. Dark City
22. Total Recall
24. Planet of the Apes
25. Caveman

my predictions...
16. WALL.E*(2008)
18. Close Encounters of the Third Kind*(1977)
Well, not a complete strike but I got these two right so far...

I can see now I probably out The Fly just a tad too high on the prediction list. Although, I expected it to come with the set after this, so I was close enough. Also had Planet of the Apes one set apart as well, so for now I'm doing pretty well... but I'm sure this was the last bit of luck I had left in this prediction run...

Anyways, I had The Fly at #7 on my list. Great film. Here's another review of mine...

MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
total movie count ........... current day count
241 .......................... 266

August 9th

—— 1986 ——
THE FLY
—— horror ——
REWATCH

Be afraid...
Be very afraid...

Review from my horror list
The master of body horror flies straight onto the big screen with his masterpiece, 'The Fly'. I simply love the daunting director, David Cronenberg, and his otherworldly vision of brilliance. But there was a time where I didn't know anything about this guy. Back when I first watched this movie I had no clue about what to expect from it, especially not with that pest infested bland black background, which did bug me a little, though only in a good way. But with that said, I didn’t actually think this little science project from Cronenberg would come off as such a major success, transporting the viewer directly into this daringly gruesome but undeniably beautiful tale of lost love and long limbs. What I was prepared for was actually an insect infection, but instead I got an insect affection, now how about that…

I must admit, I was entirely ready to experience an overgrown fly-man invade a local town or something, which would only make this supersized fly swarm above what could easily transform into the largest pile of filmic feces ever created. But thankfully, it didn’t go like that, which I should have known beforehand, especially with all the buzz surrounding the film and the fact that it is directed by someone like David Cronenberg. Because, here is a director who knows his horror; who can make the disgusting seem delicate and the terrifying terribly heartbreaking. We are being presented with what might be one of the most repulsive creations ever put to screen, and yet we have sympathy for it and we are moved by it. But that is because he has his priorities straight, and knows how to build up his characters and their individual mentalities, so that we eventually understand what is to come. Once we reach the tragic and almost torturous finale, where we are presented with a character and her necessity to do the unbearable, we feel just like she does… like a little helpless insect, trapped inside a Venus flytrap...

Director, David Cronenberg, puts an interesting twist on the undying tale of the beauty and the beast with his masterwork, ‘The Fly’. This piece of handcrafted greatness is unreachable on so many levels of filmmaking, simply because it succeeds even though it shouldn’t. Presenting the audience with golden gore galore, but still having its main focus on telling a great story of heartbreaking love, while also adding the directorial trademark of a social commentary. Jeff Goldblum is a brilliant actor, who are substantially suitable for the role of the weird scientist, almost passing for a fly himself in terms of looks (no offense intended). In many ways, this is a career-definitional slice of cinema from the director, and to some extent, it may be Cronenberg’s crowning work…

uh, uhm, wha-what? why no perfect rating for Brundlefly?

+

WALL•E was also on my list at #15. Exceptional animated film. One of Pixar's very best.

Heston Planet Of The Apes is my 8th movie from my list so thus far fro my list

2 ET
3 Star Trek 2 Wrath Of Khan.
6 Predator
8 Planet Of The Apes
9 Men In Black
10 The Fifth Element
12 Independence Day
14 Guardians Of The Galaxy
2o Robocop
21 Galaxy Quest
22 Demolition Man
23 Avatar
25 Short Circuit

Yay, another double for me with both of those making an appearance on my twenty-five

Faildictions:
14. Space Truckers (1997)
13. Chronicle (2012)

Both great movies! Unfortunately, I cut Wall-E from my list late in the game to make room for another. The Fly is a movie I remember more for the great, gooey gore than the Sci-Fi, so I didn't consider it, although it is Sci-Fi indeed. And Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis are awesome in this. I'm still waiting for The Green Slime or Hangar 18, but I'm losing hope.

My list so far:
List so far:
#3 The Day the Earth Stood Still .39
#4 Forbidden Planet .38
#5 Close Encounter of the Third Kind .17
#8 Invasion of the Body Snatchers .46
#12 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial .21
#13. Planet of the Apes .18
#15 The Road Warrior .31
#17 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan .35
#18 The War of the Worlds .90
#20 The Time Machine .69
#23 Logan's Run .71
#24 RoboCop .28
#25 The Fifth Element .34

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
WALL•E was my 26th and The Fly was my 22nd.
WALL·E (Andrew Stanton, 2008)
-

Since there have been so many WALL·E reviews around the site, I'm not sure that there are reasons for me to recount the plot, so I'll be brief. I'm pretty sure that most people realize that it takes place in the year 2815 and begins on Earth where the only things which seem to be "alive" are a small robot who tries to clean up the trash and an especially-resilient cockroach-type creature. All the humans left the planet 700 years earlier on a huge spaceship which was designed by the mega corporation/world government called Buy and Large, with the intention of only being away for about five years. There were apparently millions of WALL·Es left behind, but now there seems to be one, and shortly after the film begins, he finds green plant life growing in the soil.

Soon a spaceship appears and leaves a probe behind to search for signs of life. This probe is called EVE, and it is like nothing WALL·E has ever seen before. In fact, although WALL·E (ostensibly playing a male) is frightened by EVE's seemingly violent nature and firepower, he finds himself attracted to her as a companion along the lines of the ones he sees in the film version of Hello, Dolly! which he watches repeatedly. Eventually, both machines find themselves on the huge spaceship where the descendents of the humans who left 700 years earlier live blissfully unaware of their history or potential. OK, that wasn't as brief as I intended.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film. It creates a barren, grimy Earth, a beautifully inviting Solar System and a unique vision of human life on a spaceship far in the future. It succeeds on all levels of storytelling for me. I especially loved the homages to 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Thomas Newman's magical musical score is one of the two best I've heard this year, along with Carter Burwell's terrific In Bruges score. I'm also happy about who they used as the voice of the ship's computer. I can believe that some people may find it to be a kiddie movie, but I think it's far too romantic and thought-provoking to relegate it to that realm. I also didn't find myself being swamped by the film's message of conservation vs. consumerism as many others have. I thought the film's overriding message was one of humanity, and if it takes some non-human "creatures" to help us rediscover our lost humanity, that's OK with me. I don't find WALL·E to be a political film along the lines of Persepolis; that's for sure.
The Fly (David Cronenberg, 1986)
-

"Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid." One of the greatest advertising tags to any movie proves to be truth in advertising in what I consider Cronenberg's best film by about a million miles. Somehow, the characters in this film, Seth (Jeff Goldblum) and Roni (Geena Davis), are so empathetic and wonderfully portrayed by the pair of actors that they turn the film into a pure tragedy, almost ranking with Brooksfilms' own The Elephant Man or The Hunchback of Notre Dame which this film occasionally resembles visually. Jeff Goldblum gives a performance worthy of an Oscar, let alone the nomination he was robbed of, and Geena Davis (who married him the next year) is equally spectacular in a film which delves into characters and reality in a way which this year's Watchmen was totally incapable of doing. Seth Brundle in The Fly has more humanity in his "fly hair" than all the Watchmen combined. Now, whether you want to argue that the Watchmen are fleshed out in the graphic novel or not, I'll stand by my statement because Brundle doesn't have a flippin' backstory to somehow try to convince you that he's worthy of your care and concern. However, he does have Goldblum's eyes, voice, wit and intelligence.

The Fly[/i] is a pure horror film. What it shows the audience is disgusting and pathetic, but it never begs for any forgiveness, and that's exactly why the characters earn it; they all behave as woefully human as people you and I know. Yes, even the character I consider the Bastard in the film, John Getz (Blood Simple) as Roni's scummy boss, seems to somehow redeem himself and turn into a form of human being at the end when he's the most-deformed. The Fly is a straight-out masterpiece to me. It's not only Cronenberg's most mature film, it's his funniest, most-romantic, most complete and fulfilled flick, no matter what you may think of the way it ends so quickly. In fact, the ending most reminds me of another fave film of mine from the '80s which many of our younger MoFos seem to misunderstand, An American Werewolf in London. The endings of both films are so quick only to emphasize the shocking tragedy involved while not wallowing in any sentimentality to make you think differently than the disturbing imagery to which you have just been witness.
My List
3. The Incredibles (#98)
6. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (#18)
7. Planet of the Apes (1968) (#17)
8. Total Recall (#19)
12. The Iron Giant (#50)
13. Altered States (#95)
14. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (#79)
16. Return of the Jedi (#47)
17. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (#21)
18. Gravity (#41)
20. RoboCop (#28)
22. The Fly (1986) (#15)
23. Mad Max: Fury Road (#37)
25. Children of Men (#20)

Seen: 86/86
OFCS's Top 100 Sci-Fi Films (2010 edition): 38/86

I have only seen The Fly. Very good movie, but I did not vote for it.

1. Top 5 easy good chance at #1
2. Stalker (1979)
3. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
4. The Avengers (2012)
5. Should be top 15
6. The other possible number 1.
7. The Road Warrior (1981)
8. Has to be somewhere in the top 15
9. Predator (1987)
10. Not gonna make it
11. Will make it I am sure
12. Will make it easy
13. I am probably the only one who voted for this movie
14. Should be top 15
15. Return of the Jedi (1983)
16. Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
17. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
18. Gravity (2013)
19. This will show
20. Escape from New York (1981)
21. Independence Day (1996)
22. Planet of the Apes (1968)
23. Top 10
24. I would think top 20 to top 15
25. Top 10

My List: 12
Seen: 66/86

I have seen and like both Wall-E & The Fly. Especially the Fly, Goldblum and his luscious locks never failed to impress back in the day. Neither were on my list had no room for them.

My List: 16/86

Seen: 49/86

1. Will Make the List
2. Independence Day (40)
3. Looper (100)
4. Starship Troopers (54)
5. Will Make the List
6. The Prestige (72)
7. Not making it
8. Signs (76)
9. Not making it
10. Most likely making the list.
11. Making the List
12. Most likely not making the list
13. Avatar (80)
14. 28 Days Later (85)
15. Making the list, will probably be #1 or at least top 5
16. Predator (26)
17. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (27)
18. The Martian (60)
19. E.T. (21)
20. District 9 (65)
21. Edge of Tomorrow (66)
22. Mad Max: Fury Road (37)
23. Inception (24)
24. Source Code (92)
25. Cloverfield (Unranked)

I love The Fly. One of the best modern examples of the obsessed scientist driven mad by his own creation. I had it at #12.

My List:

3. Metropolis (#36)
5. Brazil (#32)
6. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) (#46)
9. World on a Wire (#73)
11. Forbidden Planet (#38)
12. The Fly (#15)
14. Planet of the Apes (#17)
15. Total Recall (#19)
17. Moon (#29)
18. Solaris (#23)
22. Logan’s Run (#71)
25. Ghost in the Shell (#64)

Place your bets on the remaining films! Here are the most likely candidates in no particular order.

Star Wars (1977)
The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Blade Runner (1982)
Alien (1979)
Aliens (1986)
The Thing (1982)
The Matrix (1999)
The Terminator (1984)
Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)
Back to the Future (1985)
Jurassic Park (1993)
Twelve Monkeys (1995)

Another film from my list! And now I'm certain that five more films (and nineteen in total) from my list will make it (a little less than I had expected/hoped for, but anyway...).

My list so far, with predictions:
1. Top 5 (title contender)
2. Top 10
3. Contact (#49)
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (#18)
5. Interstellar (#43)
6. Inception (#24)
7. Won't make it
8. Top 14
9. Ex Machina (#30)
10. Children of Men (#20)
11. Avatar (#80)
12. Top 5 (title contender)
13. Top 10
14. Won't make it
15. Dune (#99)
16. WALL-E (#16)
17. Won't make it
18. Won't make it
19. Metropolis (#36)
20. Won't make it
21. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (#35)
22. Gattaca (#51)
23. Serenity (#59)
24. Strange Days (#81)
25. Earthbound (one-pointer)

I was starting to get concerned that The Fly wouldn't make the Countdown. It's still one of my favourite Cronenberg films, and I had it at #7. I liked Wall-E well enough, but it wasn't in the running for my list.
I've filled in the rest of my list with some predictions as to whether or not they'll place.

Seen: 74/86
My List: 16

01. Dredd (2012) - #96
02. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - #66
03. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) - #35
04. The Martian (2015) - #60
05. I think this will show within the next couple of reveals.
06. This will be very high on the Countdown.
07. The Fly (1986) - #15
08. Metropolis (1927) - #36
09. Galaxy Quest (1999) - #88
10. Brazil (1985) - #32
11. Dark City (1998) - #48
12. I also think this one is coming up soon.
13. If this even had a chance of showing up, it would've been towards the bottom of the Countdown.
14. Robocop (1987) - #28
15. I imagine that this will be in the Top 10.
16. Videodrome (1983) - #53
17. There is no way this is placing so high on the Countdown.
18. Forbidden Planet (1956) - #38
19. Arrival (2016) - #33
20. Definitely on here, likely very close to the top.
21. The Road Warrior (1981) - #31
22. Strange Days (1995) - #81
23. Ex Machina (2015) - #30
24. I switched Independence Day out for this film, and now I regret doing that because it's not going to be on here. I didn't really think it would be.
25. Primer (2004) - #44