The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
6. Altered States (1980)
7. Predator (1987)
10. Minority Report (2002)
11. Contact (1997)
13. Arrival (2016)
18. RoboCop (1987)

Predator was one of the last cuts from my list. I absolutely loved it when I first saw it at the movies, but since then I get a little bored in the end when it's just Arnold left. Still, there's a lot of great stuff in it.

I'm not totally in love with Her, but I think Phoenix gives one of the best performances of the decade. More than that, I was impressed that the movie got me to buy into a premise that I had previously dismissed as foolish. I gave it a couple points.

My list-

#2 Strange Days (81st)
#6 RoboCop (28th)
#8 28 Days Later (85th)
#12 The Hidden (82nd)
#20 Seconds (84th)
#21 Donnie Darko (83rd)
#22 Interstellar (43rd)
#23 Ex-Machina (30th)
#24 Her (25th)
#25 They Live (45th)

I have seen both and I voted for Predator. It is one of the best action movies ever. Arnie, Carl Weathers, Jessie Ventura, and loads of other muscle bound men kill mountains of guerrillas before taking on one over sized alien with high tech weaponry! And it is glorious!

And then there is Her. Really? Somehow the movie where Joaquin wants to f*** his cell phone made this list. I saw and it never connected with me. I don't care if it is voiced by Scarlett Johansson, this movie was silly.

1. Top 5 easy good chance at #1
2. Will show, probably sooner then later
3. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
4. The Avengers (2012)
5. Should be top 15
6. The other possible number 1.
7. The Road Warrior (1981)
8. Has to be somewhere in the top 15
9. Predator (1987)
10. Not gonna make it
11. I would certainly hope this made it
12. Will make it easy
13. I am probably the only one who voted for this movie
14. Should be top 15
15. Return of the Jedi (1983)
16. Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
17. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
18. Gravity (2013)
19. This will show
20. Escape from New York (1981)
21. Independence Day (1996)
22. Not looking good
23. Top 10
24. I would think top 20 to top 15
25. Top 10

My List: 10
Seen: 57/76

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Back in the day Predator would have been an absolute dead cert for my list, no question about it. Now however it didn't even come close. One of my earliest memories about @honeykid on here is him going on about how it's not a particularly good film and that it gets worse with every viewing. At the time I thought he was crazy. Turns out the b*stard was right! I hate when that happens!

The last couple of times I've tried to watch it I've found myself rather disillusioned with it. Truth be told I even found it a bit of a slog getting through it. I now found all these macho guys walking through the forest quite dull and didn't really care about them or their attack on the gang. I found that it was really only the last 30 minutes or so that saved the film for me. When it comes down to the face-off between Arnie and the Predator, that's still good stuff. Up until then however...not really. At a push the very best I could give it based on these two viewings is about a
- which is only for the third act and even then I feel is rather generous. I've really lost my love for it and don't think it should be anywhere near this high.

And Her was another I wanted to rewatch before the list but didn't get round to. When I watched it a couple of years back I liked it but not as much as I expected to; while I admired it, it left me a little cold and detached. I'm hopeful it will click on a second viewing however

Seen - 65 / 76

My List
2. The Truman Show (#94)
10. Back to the Future Part II (#42)
12. Men in Black (#61)
14. Demolition Man (#68)
15. Independence Day (#40)
16. They Live (#45)
17. Guardians of the Galaxy (#77)
20. Galaxy Quest (#88)
22. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#58)
25. Gattaca (#51)

Predator and Her ahead of The Road Warrior and Eternal Sunshine?

Weirdos.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

You're not the only one. I'm also on the outside looking in I didn't like the premise of Her at all.

Same here, I liked it when it came out, but haven't had much desire to revisit it.
I appreciated Her well enough, but it's the kind of movie where I wanted to see how it played out, and once I did, I haven't felt any desire to see it again (maybe someday, in a few years after I've forgotten enough of it). Now, I could watch one of the action movies (like Robocop or Starship Troopers) over and over because there's action, visual effects, violence, gore, satire and classic lines to get a kick out of each time.

Heck, I've watched Predator many times (even though it didn't make my list) - it's just a rockin' sci-fi action film. Now I have to go because I need to GET TO THE CHOPPAH!!!

Welcome to the human race...

(also, Predator was my #16. Good film and one of Arnold's best, but still not as good as Brazil).

Hate to jump ahead, but I wonder if Bicentennial Man (1999) will show up? My guess is it won't appear at this point (but, I could always be wrong).

I didn't put it on my list because it's one of those movies I was just "meh" about when I first saw it, but it has really grown on me in subsequent viewings (probably more so with the unfortunate passing of Robin Williams). My one main criticism is it's overly long (so what else is new with my criticisms?). It's run time almost feels as long as the length of time covered in the film (which is a lifetime). If they'd shaved 20 minutes or so off, I think it might have been a major sci-fi contender.

But it was written by Isaac Asimov whom I had the pleasure of seeing speak in person at a local high school when he was alive!

And then there is Her. Really? Somehow the movie where Joaquin wants to f*** his cell phone made this list.

SCIENCE FICTION.

singing...
Science Fiction (ooh-wah-ooh)... Double Feature...
I have this in my head:

EDIT: Ah, yes...Thomas Dolby...I have a CD full of his Greatest HIT.

Captain Steel, it's still scary in here with us not having as many on our lists as those we do! I love Predator very much. One of Arnold's best and a classic creature to boot. And you and I have a classic line in common because I have a t-shirt that reads GET TO THE CHOPPAH! I didn't put this movie on my list because I think it's mostly action and horror, yet I will prove myself a hypocrite when/if a certain horror/action movie like Predator shows up.

Haven't seen Her but intend to one day. Which day, I do not know.

My list so far:
List so far:
#3 The Day the Earth Stood Still .39
#4 Forbidden Planet .38
#8 Invasion of the Body Snatchers .46
#15 The Road Warrior .31
#17 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan .35
#18 The War of the Worlds .90
#20 The Time Machine .69
#23 Logan's Run .71
#24 RoboCop .28
#25 The Fifth Element .34

There was never any doubt that Predator was gonna make my list, easily Arnold's best film most of his other big films have never really clicked with me but Predator most certainly did. Her on the other hand was on the shortlist but I didn't have enough room on my list sadly.

My List: 14/76

Seen: 42/76

2. Independence Day (40)
3. Looper (100)
4. Starship Troopers (54)
6. The Prestige (72)
8. Signs (76)
13. Avatar (80)
14. 28 Days Later (85)
16. Predator (26)
17. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (27)
18. The Martian (60)
20. District 9 (65)
21. Edge of Tomorrow (66)
22. Mad Max: Fury Road (37)
24. Source Code (92)
25. Cloverfield (Unranked)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I think I saw Predator a long time ago, but I don't remember much about it. (Is that the movie with invisible creatures attacking people in the jungle?)

Her is another movie that probably would have made my list, but it just doesn't have a sci-fi "feel" to it, so it ended up getting cut from my final list.

Seen: 61-1/2 out of 76
My list: 6 so far

4) The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
6) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
13) The Avengers (2012)
16) Source Code (2011)
21) Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
23) Galaxy Quest (1999)