The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Didn't have either. RoboCop almost got on my list, but I figured it didn't need my help. Eternal Sunshine is one of the most overrated movies people on this forum fixate on. Charlie Kaufman was once a God in my mind, too, but I have outgrown him and things like Eternal Sunshine and Synecdoche built that coffin. Time to move on.
I am the opposite. I have never cared for Charlie Kaufman with Eternal Sunshine being the sole thing I enjoyed that he was tied to. When it comes to Kaufman's I prefer Lloyd.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
6. Altered States (1980)
10. Minority Report (2002)
11. Contact (1997)
13. Arrival (2016)
18. RoboCop (1987)

I love Eternal Sunshine a lot, and I've seen it several times since its initial release in the theatres, but it's not on my list. I know this is arbitrary, but I just don't view it as science fiction, even though I know it qualifies, because Charlie Kauffman makes his own brand of strange, introspective magic realism like films, and in Eternal Sunshine he was using a science fiction-y device to continue the trend begun in Being John Malcovich, Human Nature, and Adaptation. You gotta make these distinctions in a genre like science fiction and that's the one I made. Robocop is great too, but it's been a while since I've seen it.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Inspired by Rodent's toy pics (these are also pretty funny...)

I'm gonna quote Kurt Russell in Executive Decision here. "What the hell? What the hell? ****. What the hell? What the hell? ****."

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
@Captain Steel: frickin LOOOVE the Uncle Owen doll!! that is PRICELESS!!

2 days behind:
Ex Machina AND Moon made my list AND in the same order. VERY cool. Was very impressed with both of these when they came out. Moon winning out by one with Rockwell (I'm a HUGE fan of his) doing his usual best.

Always loved Robocop but, no idea why, it didn't make my list. REALLY should have.
Seen Eternal Sunshine - liked the concept but not enough to make my list.

My List: 16/25

#3 Serenity (#59)
#4 Gattaca (#51)
#6 Dark City (#48)
#7 Strange Days (#81)
#9 They Live (#45)
#10 Predestination (#56)
#11 Silent Running (#76)
#12 Ghost in the Machine (#64)
#15 Akira (#55)
#17 Brazil (#32)
#18 Time Machine (#69)
#20 Minority Report (#63)
#21 Moon (#29)
#22 Ex Machina (#30)

#23 Logan's Run (#71)
#25 The Fifth Element (#34)

Watched: 51/74

Oh man, these knock-off Sci-Fi toys are killing me!

I found this one that actually used the Star Wars logo but gave the Emperor's Sith name a new spin.

I'm a little mad right now and I feel like an idiot because I had 28 Days Later on my list....but that isn't even my favorite zombie film and it's the only one I put on my list. Oh well, I guess if you guys do a horror countdown I'll put my favorite zombie films on my list for that *spoilers*

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
RoboCop is a good movie, but a bit too violent for my taste. (But Hubby would have had it high on his list if he had submitted one.) On a side note, does anyone else think the new TV show "APB" feels a little bit like a RoboCop wannabe?

I liked Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind but it didn't have enough of a sci-fi "feel" for it to make my list. I know that it's sci-fi, but it felt more like a very good drama rather than a sci-fi movie to me.

Seen: 60-1/2 out of 74
My list: 6 so far

4) The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
6) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
13) The Avengers (2012)
16) Source Code (2011)
21) Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
23) Galaxy Quest (1999)

I miss Hubby. I actually got her to get her hubby to sign up on Movie Forums under the name @Hubby.

You're the one who chased him away too.
Well, of course. I can't remember why, though. He wasn't the transgender person, was he?

Catch phrase again: have watched none.

But these 2 movies sound intriguing. I'll look out for them.

I miss Hubby. I actually got her to get her hubby to sign up on Movie Forums under the name @Hubby.
He was on the other day answering one of the questions.
Sometimes that's not really Hubby, but Gbgoodies in hubby drag, signed on his account.