The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Great set of films today, though neither actually made my list. Based on my most recent viewing RoboCop only just missed out on making my list. Would have been a definite top 30. In fact #28 probably lines up pretty much exactly for me. It deserves a top 30 spot if for no other reason than it features one of the all-time great screen deaths.

That is how you do satire. You couple it with gnarly gruesomeness. That's what Network was missing!

And Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind also didn't make it but should have. Prior to submitting a list I hadn't seen it for 2 or 3 years and on that particular viewing it hadn't been as big a hit as previously. I didn't fit in a repeat viewing before the list but finally did a couple of weeks ago. And now know I should have included it. However I think it would only have made about 22nd or 23rd on the list so it didn't lose out on too many points.

I think it's a dazzlingly creative and really quite beautiful film. The remarkably inventive concept of Eternal Sunshine... allows us to see into the mind of Joel Barish, but what it is really allowing us is a window into the mind of Charlie Kaufman. And what a fascinating place it is to behold; a place of unbridled creativity and a runaway imagination. I love how the film visually represents Joel's memories being deleted as they become ever more fragmeneted and jumbled. It does so both through very lo-tech means (lights being turned off to leave scenes in darkness) and the more complex (CGI allowing objects or individuals to crumble away); creating images than can be dramatic and chaotic, but also images of great beauty. Take the sight of their bed on the beach for example; the flame red hair of Clementine contrasting beautifully against the pure white sand. And it's wonderfully acted by both Carrey and Winslet

Seen - 63 / 74

My List
2. The Truman Show (#94)
10. Back to the Future Part II (#42)
12. Men in Black (#61)
14. Demolition Man (#68)
15. Independence Day (#40)
16. They Live (#45)
17. Guardians of the Galaxy (#77)
20. Galaxy Quest (#88)
22. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#58)
25. Gattaca (#51)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Robocop is indeed a lot of fun, but it did not make my list. Maybe if I could extend my list to at least 40 films, it would be included.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind on the other hand did make my list, all the way up to #2. I was blown away by the depressingly beautiful film back in 2004 and it still holds up today. The human story that's found at the centre of the film is refreshing as it doesn't play to normal romantic conventions. The relationship these two characters have feels real and people make rash decisions in the heat of the moment. Did Joel think it through when he wanted his memories erased? Probably not, since he fights desperately to keep the ones that have special meaning to him.

Would you erase someone you loved? Tough decision, but our memories make up who we are as people and to erase some, might change you as a person. With that being said, I wouldn't try this procedure, but wouldn't fault anyone who did. The story element is pure sci/fi fantasy and it perfectly captures both. A beautifully acted and directed film and one of my favourite scripts to boot.

Blessed Are the forgetful for they get the better even of their blunders.

#1: Dark City
#2: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
#7: Minority Report
#9: District 9
#15: The 5th Element
#16: Ghostbusters
#17: Avatar
#18: Moon
#19: Serenity
#20: Interstellar
#21: Donnie Darko
#25: Edge of Tomorrow

Suspect's Reviews

I gotta admit I completely forgot about Moon when I was making my list or It would of been in my top 10 easily! I forgot about a lot of films when I was making this tbh. Not the biggest Robocop fan, but I do really like Eternal Sunshine and had on my list at #17. Finally went back through the list as I've been on and off this site a little bit the past week.

My List: 13/74

Seen: 40/74

2. Independence Day (40)
3. Looper (100)
4. Starship Troopers (54)
6. The Prestige (72)
8. Signs (76)
13. Avatar (80)
14. 28 Days Later (85)
17. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (27)
18. The Martian (60)
20. District 9 (65)
21. Edge of Tomorrow (66)
22. Mad Max: Fury Road (37)
24. Source Code (92)
25. Cloverfield (Unranked)

Almost half my list has been shown so far which I expected as much and I'm expecting the rest to either end up in the top 30 and a few will probably not be on the list.

Robocop was on my list at #14. While some of the stop motion effects are a little dated now, the film does have great practical effects, especially the facial prosthetics. I still think are really impressive to this day.

I saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind when it was new, but didn't really get into it. After hearing a lot of praise for it, I meant to revisit it. A few years ago it was on tv so I watched part of it, but ended up turning it off partway through to go do something else, and I never finished rewatching it.

Seen: 63/74
My List: 16

01. Dredd (2012) - #96
02. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - #66
03. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) - #35
04. The Martian (2015) - #60
08. Metropolis (1927) - #36
09. Galaxy Quest (1999) - #88
10. Brazil (1985) - #32
11. Dark City (1998) - #48
14. Robocop (1987) - #28
16. Videodrome (1983) - #53
18. Forbidden Planet (1956) - #38
19. Arrival (2016) - #33
21. The Road Warrior (1981) - #31
22. Strange Days (1995) - #81
23. Ex Machina (2015) - #30
25. Primer (2004) - #44

I had Eternal Sunshine at #18. Also, Robocop is an awesome movie.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

A system of cells interlinked
My list so far:

05. Brazil
17. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
18. Gattaca
21. Arrival
23. Contact
24. Moon
25. Primer

Aha! Good old RoboCop. Saw it at the cinema when it was first released and still love it to this day. Along with the action, I love the humor, including the satiric commercials and the ever-cheerful news anchors who smile and cheer people on even when they're in critical shape in the hospital. And the board game "Nuke 'Em!" Great stuff all around. This movie made #24 on my list. Love it!

Have yet to see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but would like to.

My list so far:
List so far:
#3 The Day the Earth Stood Still .39
#4 Forbidden Planet .38
#8 Invasion of the Body Snatchers .46
#15 The Road Warrior .31
#17 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan .35
#18 The War of the Worlds .90
#20 The Time Machine .69
#23 Logan's Run .71
#24 RoboCop .28
#25 The Fifth Element .34

Futuristic Robert, Terminator Autobotic.

The Furniture Of Law Enforcement.

"I'll be back"

All that's missing is a warning:
"Contact with toy's plastic may cause headaches."

Once again, much in common with @dadgumblah (I also love Robo but have not see Eternal Sunshine):

My list so far:

3. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
4. War of the Worlds (1953)
5. Forbidden Planet
7. The Time Machine (1960)
11. Logan's Run
16. Road Warrior
17. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
21. Robocop
22. Independence Day
23. Starship Troopers
25. District 9

Seen: 46 out of 74.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Robo was my #20. I've loved it for 30 years. I think I've probably gotten into more arguments over Spotless at the three film forums I've participated in (the other two being long gone - Metacritic Forums and Movie Justice), and that's even with my giving it a fair-to-middling rating (
). I found it quite morose and strangely unromantic even if it was creative in a Charlie Kaufmanesque way.
RoboCop (Paul Verhoeven, 1987)
- Futuristic sci-fi satire is a slam-bang action thriller as well as a cautionary tale on crossing the line at playing God. Peter Weller is solid as Murphy, a cop in the most dangerous place on Earth, Old Detroit, and he's matched by his partner Nancy Allen. One day, Kurtwood Smith, playing one of the scariest bad guys ever, puts a hole in Murphy's brain, basically killing him, but the folks at Omni Consumer Products have determined to bring him back "on-line" as a cyborg named RoboCop who can be a tougher kind of police officer. Verhoeven goes all-out with his patented violence, and the corporate backstabbing is rampant, especially between OCP execs Ronny Cox and Miguel Ferrer. RoboCop still qualifies as sci-fi, but there may well come a time when it seems more like science and less like fiction.
My List
3. The Incredibles (#98)
12. The Iron Giant (#50)
13. Altered States (#95)
14. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (#79)
16. Return of the Jedi (#47)
18. Gravity (#41)
20. RoboCop (#28)
23. Mad Max: Fury Road (#37)

Seen: 74/74
OFCS's Top 100 Sci-Fi Films (2010 edition): 31/74

Sorry been busy catching up on the count down. But Only The Fifth Element at 10 For me and Robocop 20 For me on my list.

"I'll be back"

Where can I get a copy of Robert Cop to watch?
I want to see the part where he says "I'll be back!"

Didn't have either. RoboCop almost got on my list, but I figured it didn't need my help. Eternal Sunshine is one of the most overrated movies people on this forum fixate on. Charlie Kaufman was once a God in my mind, too, but I have outgrown him and things like Eternal Sunshine and Synecdoche built that coffin. Time to move on.

The "Star Warsiors" are hilarious! I've never seen these movie mash-up toys before. "Wise Puppet"
And seeing Ralph Macchio's face on the package as "Karate Farmer" cracked me up!

I have seen both, I think both are very good, but I voted for neither.

1. Top 5 easy good chance at #1
2. Will show, probably sooner then later
3. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
4. The Avengers (2012)
5. Should be top 15
6. The other possible number 1.
7. The Road Warrior (1981)
8. Has to be somewhere in the top 15
9. This will definitely show
10. Not gonna make it
11. I would certainly hope this made it
12. Will make it easy
13. I am probably the only one who voted for this movie
14. Should be top 15
15. Return of the Jedi (1983)
16. Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
17. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
18. Gravity (2013)
19. This will show
20. Escape from New York (1981)
21. Independence Day (1996)
22. Not looking good
23. Top 10
24. I would think top 20 to top 15
25. Top 10

My List: 9
Seen: 55/74

"I'll be back"

Must be either cheap Mexican or Chinese knock offs. lol