Romances you rooted against

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh okay. And another thing about High Planes Drifter is that maybe
WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
Eastwood's character's supernatural powers made her fall for him through the rape?

King Kong and Ann Darrow. It was doomed from the start.
I never thought it as a romance, but if it counts, then yes.

King Kong and Ann Darrow. It was doomed from the start.
Their families would never approve!

Eastwood's character's supernatural powers made her fall for him through the rape?
I really hope that when someone asked them about this, the writers confirmed that, yes, his character did
WARNING: spoilers below
have a magical irresistible ghost penis

I mean, we can dance around trying to validate and rationalize something that doesn't make sense. Or we can just admit that it's dated sexist garbage and call it a day.

I really hope that when someone asked them about this, the writers confirmed that, yes, his character did
I hope one day to have your sense of humour! 👏👏

Welcome to the human race...
The main character and his girlfriend from the Crank movies. She's oblivious to his secret life as a hitman, then she storms out on him when he tells her the truth, at which point he forces himself upon her because he needs the adrenaline rush to fight the poison in his system (while they are in the middle of a crowded street, no less) and, after struggling against him for a bit, she gives in and starts to enjoy it. For the rest of the movie, she's ride-or-die for him. It continues in the sequel where she initially hates him for having disappeared without a word (he was being held hostage after falling out of a helicopter) but all is forgiven with yet another sex scene (admittedly more consensual than the first). At one point she's arrested and an interrogating officer asks why she stays by the guy after all he's put her through and the movie never provides an answer (my memory's hazy but that might be her last scene in the movie as well).

I mean, we can dance around trying to validate and rationalize something that doesn't make sense. Or we can just admit that it's dated sexist garbage and call it a day.
Yeah I see your point. Also, there are other movies that do this do this too, since I just saw Wedding Crashers not to long ago, and the woman ties up Vince Vaughn, gags, him and rapes him, and he tries to fight his way off and screams, so it seems like it's clearly rape, even more so than Year of the Dragon in the sense that there was screaming for help, and Vince Vaughn's character, still falls for her after, and I didn't by it at all, and thought how did this happen?

Your Name (2016)... all the groping, disgusting.

It was only uncomfortable because it was overdone. Otherwise it was an understandable thing to show. I mean, if I ever get trapped in a woman's body, then I would behave in the exact same manner .

Ron and Hermione
Even Harry and Ginni. Luna was perfect for Harry.

@topic
Eastwood and Rene Russo's relationship (of sorts) in the movie In the Line of Fire is just plain strange. He is shown to be this sexist, rude, old prick who regularly misbehaves with Russo and yet somehow she wants him.

I never thought it as a romance, but if it counts, then yes.
I think King Kong and Ann Darrow was an absolute romance

Oh okay, I've always thought of King Kong as more of a pet relationship, like how one loves a pet, sort of deal.

But for me, one romance off the top of my head I wanted to end in disaster was Gone with the Wind, and I was so glad it did.

The truth is in here
I now have another example to add: All Night Long.

The movie was okay and Gene Hackman does a great job, but both his and Barbra Streisand's characters are awful people and never really do anything I would say "redeems" them. Hackman even seems to become a bigger jerk as it goes on. I also didn't think the chemistry between them was convincing, along with the dialogue being very cheesy.

Quasimodo and Esmeralda

Even for a gypsy she could do much better.

Quasimodo and Esmeralda

Even for a gypsy she could do much better.
What? I was rooting for them and AGAINST Phoebus

Anyway, Pretty in Pink. I'm a Duckie fan

"How tall is King Kong ?"
I love the two OSS117 movies by Hazanavicius. Great deconstruction of all the racist and sexist tropes of my favorite spy old movies. Except that, at the end, in a classic fashion, OSS117 "gets the girl" that is supposed to represent the modern critical look on the parody's object. During all the film, she's the "straight man" who (sometimes tediously) explicits the author's view on the antihero's beliefs, but at the end she's the one who manifests the most praise and admiration by falling in love with him ? It kinda defeats the point of the movie, and makes her role awkwardly switch from *straight man" to "bond girl caricature".

That's the main clumsiness of these otherwise glorious movies.

But for me, one romance off the top of my head I wanted to end in disaster was Gone with the Wind, and I was so glad it did.
I don’t see it this way. Bet you anything Rhett came back to Scarlet. He’ll never meet another woman like her.

Going off-track slightly, the worst wedding day on screen must be from High Noon.

I'm generally against all of them. Forrest Gump should have told Jenny to piss off, and of course why did the rich guy in Pretty Woman want some hooker? In Steel Magnolias, Julia Roberts gets lucky again when she ends up marrying some handsome lawyer. Good lord, but she was just insufferable.

Oh, and Kong should have thrown Ann Darrow in the air and gobbled her down like an M&M as she came back down.
Or maybe I'm just not a romantic kinda guy.

The guys in Brokeback Mountain (but only because they were already married & had children)... otherwise, I'd say, "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

The guys in Brokeback Mountain (but only because they were already married & had children)... otherwise, I'd say, "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

Forbidden love is a common theme (e.g., The Thorn Birds) and the opening stages of romance are basically dyadic narcissism, chasing a high "how 'X' makes ME feeeel" - thus there is something rather off-putting about two fresh lovers wreaking havoc in the lives of friends and family, prior commitments be damned (e.g., Romeo and Juliet).