Coronavirus

Tools    

That's really, REALLY not the same as saying they wouldn't take the vaccine. She said that she would take a doctor-approved vaccine ("first in line"). Would anyone disagree with her stance? I just don't get how saying "I'd take a doctor-approved vaccine but not something that just a politician told me to take" is a political stance. Especially when you consider the context that a ton of non-approved substances were being obliquely recommended to dangerous effect.

Admittedly, I was mostly checked out of the news cycle because it was so stressful. And I'm not denying that COVID has been inappropriately politicized by both parties, but Democrats saying they wouldn't take the vaccine just to spite Trump was never on my radar. My sense is that masking and vaccine hesitancy has always been more centered in the Republican base.
Had anyone said that politicians said they would not get the vaccine? It's at least not what I said.

That's really, REALLY not the same as saying they wouldn't take the vaccine. She said that she would take a doctor-approved vaccine ("first in line"). Would anyone disagree with her stance? I just don't get how saying "I'd take a doctor-approved vaccine but not something that just a politician told me to take" is a political stance. Especially when you consider the context that a ton of non-approved substances were being obliquely recommended to dangerous effect.

Admittedly, I was mostly checked out of the news cycle because it was so stressful. And I'm not denying that COVID has been inappropriately politicized by both parties, but Democrats saying they wouldn't take the vaccine just to spite Trump was never on my radar. My sense is that masking and vaccine hesitancy has always been more centered in the Republican base.
Right, but she’s pushing the same nonsense Trump was pushing. Acting like he’s in a lab somewhere mixing up vaccines. Were the vaccines ever not going to be approved by doctors? Give me a break. It’s complete political nonsense that has no place n sensible discourse.

As I said, I respect science more than anecdotes, so all I can do is show the studies on the vaccines' side effects which show that they are far safer than an actual covid infection. What is becoming increasingly clear is that everyone will have either an infection or a vaccine at one point, so the real question here is to weigh which one you'd prefer. Side effects of covid also includes a substantial percentage of myocarditis and it's becoming accepted in the medical community that being a covid survivor will practically be considered a disability going forward. Nothing in the medical research shows vaccines causing anywhere near this level of harm.

Unvaccinated people are a social risk because they enable future and potentially more deadly mutations of the virus. This isn't theoretical, as we see these mutations emerging and the level of harm they are creating. Do unvaccinated people have a right to cause this spread? About as much as someone has a right to operate a car with a BAC of 1.2%. Thankfully we don't live in a libertarian paradise, and our behavioral liberties are frequently curtailed for the common good, because people tend to be selfish and reckless creatures.

No one was talking about rights when we mandated prior vaccines. There was a very good reason why this was not controversial. Vaccines have only become controversial in about the past 25 years when a bunch of affluent white people in California read a since-discredited paper about thimerosal. These were also not respectable people. Given the fact that this country has not seen a mortality rate like this pandemic in a century - not from war, drugs, pollution or natural disaster - applying a similar vaccine mandate as we saw in the 50s with polio, or the 1900s with small pox, shouldn't not only be uncontroversial, given the legal case precedent in those cases, it should make modern society ashamed of itself for not having the wisdom of our less technologically-savvy ancestors. I'm personally ashamed to have to share the air with some of these people.
With a lot of these hot button topics there is often conflicting science that we do not hear about. I'm not saying that's the case here, but unless we are scientists ourselves, we only know what we are told. I'm not against vaccines, and I chose to get it because I'm a 50yo smoker. The vaccine certainly won't improve anyone's health or make them feel better, but it's possible it could hurt it. Individuals need to weigh the pros and cons for themselves and I think most people should get it. All I'm saying is that people who don't aren't necessarily beneath you on the intelligence or decency scale. Allow for some of what you may believe are imperfections and don't be so judgmental. There's too much of it already.

Again, the sky didn't fall when SCOTUS allowed the small pox mandate in 1905, nor did it erupt when we mandated polio in 1955, or when we mandated all of the other childhood vaccinations needed before that child can be admitted into public schools. What we are seeing today with the vaxx resistence is an aberration to the entire history of modern medicine. It really isn't that hard of a decision once you realize that you'll only be hurting a few people's feelings.
I’m not afraid the sky is going to fall and I’m not worried about hurting anyone’s feelings. I said I am of two minds of it and I don’t think it can be reduced to the terms you are reducing it to. I refuse to be the guy that’s for government mandates when my cause is being put forward, and see it as a problem when it’s not my cause. Too much of that from both sides at the moment..or maybe since always, what the hell do I know.

I’m not afraid the sky is going to fall and I’m not worried about hurting anyone’s feelings. I said I am of two minds of it and I don’t think it can be reduced to the terms you are reducing it to. I refuse to be the guy that’s for government mandates when my cause is being put forward, and see it as a problem when it’s not my cause. Too much of that from both sides at the moment..or maybe since always, what the hell do I know.
Hm. That's a good example of the kind of partisan paralysis that we've had to deal with, where "both sides" creates a gridlock to productive action. I hope that we can agree that we shouldn't be politicizing this disease? OK. Now, without political consideration and going strictly on the science and the data of deaths and disability being caused by the disease, which is overwhelmingly more than the death and disability caused by the vaccines, given what we can empirically see in the emergence of new strains absent vaccination, then where would we fall on what would be the appropriate imperative? To help people? Or allow people to continue harming others?

With a lot of these hot button topics there is often conflicting science that we do not hear about. I'm not saying that's the case here, but unless we are scientists ourselves, we only know what we are told.
Or we can read the available science? You see, the beutiful thing about science is that it can be testing with data and reason. I haven't seen a lot of reasonable excuses, based on consistent data, to justify not treating SARS-CoV-2 as we've previously treated small pox or polio now that we have similar, perhaps superior, tools to fight it.

The vaccine certainly won't improve anyone's health or make them feel better
For example, this assertion seems to be based on nothing whatsoever.

Hm. That's a good example of the kind of partisan paralysis that we've had to deal with, where "both sides" creates a gridlock to productive action. I hope that we can agree that we shouldn't be politicizing this disease? OK. Now, without political consideration and going strictly on the science and the data of deaths and disability being caused by the disease, which is overwhelmingly more than the death and disability caused by the vaccines, given what we can empirically see in the emergence of new strains absent vaccination, then where would we fall on what would be the appropriate imperative? To help people? Or allow people to continue harming others?
I’m vaccinated. If I get COVID again, according to the science, I should have minimal issues. So I have made my decision and that has made me safer.

So keep pumping out good formation. Maybe even some incentives and we will get it done.

If you mandate, and people still refuse, what’s your next step?

Or we can read the available science? You see, the beutiful thing about science is that it can be testing with data and reason. I haven't seen a lot of reasonable excuses, based on consistent data, to justify not treating SARS-CoV-2 as we've previously treated small pox or polio now that we have similar, perhaps superior, tools to fight it.
How exactly do we read the science? Aren't most of us just taking in an interpretation of the science? Is there any conflicting science whatsoever? Sincere questions.

For example, this assertion seems to be based on nothing whatsoever.
Well side effects can have a negative impact on your health right? We know this is happening. Are you saying that the vaccine can improve our health, besides fighting Covid?

If you mandate, and people still refuse, what’s your next step?
Ideally if you refuse, then you won't be able to access certain public spaces. Similar to if a parent refuses to have their child vaccinated for measles and diptherea, then that child cannot access a public school. If anyone can find me where any parents were picketing over the latter, I'd love to see it. Instead most people were happy to take the win when these diseases were practically eliminated. When did measles come back? 2019, because we're recently living in a media environment where too many people have lost contact with history and reality.

How exactly do we read the science? Aren't most of us just taking in an interpretation of the science? Is there any conflicting science whatsoever? Sincere questions.
Look, you know that if all of the qualified scientists were to come to someone's door and tell them with all of the confidence of all of their combined qualifications that vaccines are overwhelmingly safer than a covid infection, that a person who is already committed to disbelieving the science will not take their word for it. If there's any serious conflicting science on the point of vaccine safety, then I'd like to see it.

Are you saying that the vaccine can improve our health, besides fighting Covid?
I'm saying that fighting covid is a pretty significant improvement to our health.

Ideally if you refuse, then you won't be able to access certain public spaces. Similar to if a parent refuses to have their child vaccinated for measles and diptherea, then that child cannot access a public school. If anyone can find me where any parents were picketing over the latter, I'd love to see it. Instead most people were happy to take the win when these diseases were practically eliminated. When did measles come back? 2019, because we're recently living in a media environment where too many people have lost contact with history and reality.
What public spaces, how are you enforcing it?

Everything's been good and civil about this so far, this is just my preemptive notice to encourage people to keep it that way, since it's obviously a heated topic. Obviously the hook for a thread closure (even if just a temporary one to take the temperature down) will be quick if things escalate.

Look, you know that if all of the qualified scientists were to come to someone's door and tell them with all of the confidence of all of their combined qualifications that vaccines are overwhelmingly safer than a covid infection, that a person who is already committed to disbelieving the science will not take their word for it. If there's any serious conflicting science on the point of vaccine safety, then I'd like to see it.
I don't know if there is conflicting science, and I agree that for most people it's a good idea to get the vaccine. But we are talking about people on average rather than individuals, and I would say some people, however few they may be, would end up better off if they didn't get the vaccine. I told you there's two 21yo kids that have had significant problems since getting it. More than likely, they would have been better off not getting it. All this means to me is that I can understand some people's reluctance. It's not ideal to force one's way of thinking onto others, and it has nothing to do with science.

I'm saying that fighting covid is a pretty significant improvement on our health.
Fighting Covid is great but that has nothing to do with what I was saying.

I'm not sure "some people shouldn't get it" is actually actionable, though, unless it's predictable. If it's just something you can say in retrospect, then it's useless, and serves only to scare people away from doing something they should be doing. Without a specific and projectable reason to suspect a bad reaction, all you can do is look at the aggregate and make the decision based on that.

And if you do that, you find that the chances of a significant negative reaction are so rare that you're more likely to be harmed driving to the vaccination site than you are to be harmed from the vaccination itself.

What public spaces, how are you enforcing it?
The obvious ones would be like transportation, and since airlines are private (under FAA auspices) they can and have enforced both mask and vaccine mandates. The hardest part of enforcement would be in battling counterfeit vaccine cards.

I'm not sure "some people shouldn't get it" is actually actionable, though, unless it's predictable. If it's just something you can say in retrospect, then it's useless, and serves only to scare people away from doing something they should be doing. Without a specific and projectable reason to suspect a bad reaction, all you can do is look at the aggregate and make the decision based on that.

And if you do that, you find that the chances of a significant negative reaction are so rare that you're more likely to be harmed driving to the vaccination site than you are to be harmed from the vaccination itself.
Well I think people shouldn't get it if they don't want to. You take a person who doesn't want to get it, but they are pressured or mandated to do so, and then they have health issues. To me that's a problem.

I told you there's two 21yo kids that have had significant problems since getting it. More than likely, they would have been better off not getting it.
Many of the side effects along these lines mirror the kinds of vascular symptoms that have occured in covid patients. Myocarditis (heart muscle inflammation) has occured in a number of covid patients, especially among young otherwise healthy athletes who are otherwise asymptomatic. According to one cardiologist: "We have data from hospitalized patients that show between seven and 33 percent of people will have some cardiac injury after getting COVID-19." Why is this? Or why only young children are afflicted with Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome? What we do know is that the percentages of these side effects among covid patients are far higher than among those receiving the vaccine. Why? The current presumption is that the vaccines can also trigger a milder form of this kind of inflammatory immune response, much as nearly all of the noted side effects are milder versions of symptoms experienced by covid patients. So I think that it's a big question of whether or not these particular men would have been better off without a vaccine or whether with a covid infection they could have found themselves with a more serious cardiac injury.

It's not ideal to force one's way of thinking onto others, and it has nothing to do with science.
For me, it has everything to do with science, because reason, after all, is a way of thinking.

Fighting Covid is great but that has nothing to do with what I was saying.
When you say "The vaccine certainly won't improve anyone's health or make them feel better", it makes little sense to caveat "except for fighting the disease the vaccine was designed for!" After a year and a half of covid, 600K deaths and several million suffering long-term symptoms, and obviously the unending anxiety of it all, I think it's clear that these vaccines have provided a vast improvement to our collective health. Now maybe we should spread the vaccines to other countries where they'll be more appreciated.

Right, but she’s pushing the same nonsense Trump was pushing. Acting like he’s in a lab somewhere mixing up vaccines. Were the vaccines ever not going to be approved by doctors? Give me a break. It’s complete political nonsense that has no place n sensible discourse.
I don't think it's nonsense, actually. Are we forgetting that Trump explicitly encouraged the use of drugs and other things that were just hypothesized as maybe helping prevent COVID? As far as him saying that he'd taken hydroxychloroquine to prevent COVID.

So I don't mind her distinguishing that she would take a doctor-approved vaccine and specifically naming Fauci as the authority she would trust. (This was also during a debate, no? And the phrasing of the question was specifically about Trump endorsing a vaccine.)

Without a specific and projectable reason to suspect a bad reaction, all you can do is look at the aggregate and make the decision based on that.

Right, and I think that this is the hard part because the "long game" with both COVID and the vaccine are still up in the air. Would it be better to be 5 years out from COVID or 5 years out from having the vaccine?

Years ago one of my cats had a bad reaction to his distemper vaccine. Like, really bad. He ran a super high fever and I was genuinely concerned about him surviving it. But that absolutely has not stopped me from vaccinating my other cats (or from getting him his distemper booster).

While I believe that vaccinating is the correct choice (for myself as an individual, for the health of my family and community, and as an overall population to mitigate death and infection), I do understand why people are fearful. For me, the problem always comes back to the fact that it's a decision that can impact many other people (some of whom don't have a choice about vaccinating).

I do believe that there are some people who would be theoretically at risk to the vaccines - immunocompromised and other autoimmune patients, for example. In those cases, I can't imagine how a single one of them would fare better under a covid infection, for precisely the same reasons. These particular people need a completely different kind of protection regimen, and the only thing that occurs to me to help with that is to make sure that everyone who they have contact with are vaccinated.

Many of the side effects along these lines mirror the kinds of vascular symptoms that have occured in covid patients. Myocarditis (heart muscle inflammation) has occured in a number of covid patients, especially among young otherwise healthy athletes who are otherwise asymptomatic. According to one cardiologist: "We have data from hospitalized patients that show between seven and 33 percent of people will have some cardiac injury after getting COVID-19." Why is this? Or why only young children are afflicted with Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome? What we do know is that the percentages of these side effects among covid patients are far higher than among those receiving the vaccine. Why? The current presumption is that the vaccines can also trigger a milder form of this kind of inflammatory immune response, much as nearly all of the noted side effects are milder versions of symptoms experienced by covid patients. So I think that it's a big question of whether or not these particular men would have been better off without a vaccine or whether with a covid infection they could have found themselves with a more serious cardiac injury.

For me, it has everything to do with science, because reason, after all, is a way of thinking.

When you say "The vaccine certainly won't improve anyone's health or make them feel better", it makes little sense to caveat "except for fighting the disease the vaccine was designed for!" After a year and a half of covid, 600K deaths and several million suffering long-term symptoms, and obviously the unending anxiety of it all, I think it's clear that these vaccines have provided a vast improvement to our collective health. Now maybe we should spread the vaccines to other countries where they'll be more appreciated.
We're starting to go in circles a little. I agree with most of what you say and that most people should get the vaccine. I think it's wrong to vilify people who make the personal choice not to. I got the vaccine but I don't think I'm smarter than or a better person than someone who doesn't. Rather than worrying about the people who don't, since I have no control over it, I will focus on myself.