Coronavirus

Tools    

...Then there's the theory I've heard that I don't quite understand - some say masks work to protect others from the wearer, but can't protect the wearer from others. This idea says they mitigate spreading the disease to others, but do not mitigate contraction of the disease (which sounds kind of like the same thing). This means masks would only work in one direction - yet they are made of porous materials that let air in and out in both directions.

Maybe someone can help clear this idea up for me?
It depends on the mask. It's true that the loose fitting surgical mask protect others as it keeps coughs and sneezes mostly contained inside the mask. Doctors in surgery wear those mask, not to protect themselves, but to protect the patients. If the mask weren't effective in protecting others from airborne germs, surgeons would then wear an 'outside air' supply like automotive painters do. There's an observable, long track record of surgical masks stopping the transmission of disease causing germs (nothing is 100% effective of course).

The N95 face mask when worn correctly and fitted tightly to the face does offer protection for the wearer from outside 'germs'. Though some of the N95 have an exhale check valve that lets unfiltered air out of the mask, so a person with covid who was wearing a N95 check valve mask could still theoretically pass covid to someone in close and sustained proximity.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	T150 full face image.jpeg
Views:	278
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	79153  

I’m amazed at how many friendly acquaintances I run into who aren’t vaccinated. (All different races & ages.)

Nothing one says can convince these people to wear a mask. If I hear one more person say “If it’s my time to die now” or “If my number is up now, well, that’s okay”, I am gonna scream.

Nothing one says can convince these people to wear a mask. If I hear one more person say “If it’s my time to die now” or “If my number is up now, well, that’s okay”, I am gonna scream.
The worst part about when people say "If it's God's plan for me to go . . ." or things of that nature is that it is so selfish!

You don't care if you die, fine. Good riddance. But you don't get to take out three grandmas and a cancer survivor on your way out, ya jerk.

Again, it's like driving 150 MPH on the interstate. You aren't just endangering yourself.

The worst part about when people say "If it's God's plan for me to go . . ." or things of that nature is that it is so selfish!

You don't care if you die, fine. Good riddance. But you don't get to take out three grandmas and a cancer survivor on your way out, ya jerk.

Again, it's like driving 150 MPH on the interstate. You aren't just endangering yourself.
Exactly. A really lovely male friend from P.R. does not want to get vaccinated although we talked ad nauseam about the Delta variant. His 70+ mother doesn’t want to be vaccinated either. I pointed out to him that when he was a child he received the polio vaccine, the smallpox vaccine & whatever else American kids get. And he survived them all!

Gonna get the vaccine tomorrow, Johnson I believe, at least I hope its Johnson, only one take and it's done for now. Some people are afraid to get the vaccine, I'm afraid of not taking it before something worse happen, I'm a little bit anxious because I want to take it, not like people I know that are anxious because of the symptoms.

I'm a little bit alarmed because my mate is having symptoms of something, not sure if it's covid or not, he's having diarrhea, dry mouth, stomach ache, 38.7º fever. I think it's a gastroenteritis because he took the fast test yesterday, those that you get the results in 10 minutes and it came out negative, he already had the symptoms when he took the test so I think it's not a false negative.

Let's see, it's like Rudolf Abel says: Would it help (to worry)? It doesn't help at all, let's wait and see.

It's so depressing that we're still debating mask efficacy at this point.

Straw-clutchers gonna clutch at straws, s'what they do.

Typical, our new Health Secretary in government taking over all the covid stuff is isolating because he has caught covid according to a rapid test he's taken after feeling unwell, he's waiting for results from the main pcr test.

And to think all the rules are coming to an end here in England on Monday and we have had one of the highest amount of positive cases since the beginning of the year and 40+ deaths in the last 24 hours...

At least wait until everyone has had their full vaccination.

Another coworker caught Covid.

Fortunately this particular coworker hasn't actually been in the office since late May due to child care issues so I'm not at any risk of getting it from her. Unsurprisingly, this particular coworker is also someone who has refused to get vaccinated.

Took Moderna on Friday 11am. Saturday it started the arm pain, in the afternoon started the fever. Now Sunday morning, I still have a fever, the arm still hurts a bit. They say Moderna is worse in the first take, I hope the worse is already gone, will take the second one on 13 August. Some people say if you don't have symptoms after taking the vacines it isn't working, anyone has any info on that?

I really don't see people not wearing masks. I go to restaurants, I go to shopping malls. The only place I see people not wearing masks in near night clubs, young people that is not vaccinated yet. In my work environment everyone wears the mask. My family that is full vaccinated when they come to my place don't take the mask and I'd prefer if they did, because it's a family environment. I think it's a mentality problem that differs from place to place, I'm sure if you go to Japan, certain places in Europe you'll see different scenarios.

My father doesn't want to get vaccinated, but he wears the mask because that's the civilized thing to do, he understands he has no right to play with other people's liberties, many people want to influence other people's lives, that's why they don't wear the mask. He doesn't trust the government and so on, it's like a protest thing, and he decided to not take the vaccine. He's full of misinformation, not because he doesn't have access to other information, but because he's like most people, information is just something you take or don't take if it goes in accordance or against what you want to believe.

I already told him: Look, dad, we're all gonna get this virus, it's up to you to get it with the vaccine or without the vaccine. If you get it with the vaccine, your system will be better prepared because he already knows the virus and how to fight it, if you decide to not take the vaccine you're gambling with your system defenses. Either way I can understand it, but don't expect me to be hold sadness if I'm the one transmitting you this virus and you die from it.

I don't care if people use the name of God or say it's nature taking it own course to justify not taking the vaccine, I can respect that, what I can't respect is them not wearing the mask, that's uncivilized and an attempt to have influence in other peoples lives because theirs is probably full of misery and sadness and they want to share that misery and sadness because they're probably too stupid to understand that other people aren't the reason their lives are so bad. If you want to live in a society accept it's rules and act with courtesy and common sense, if you don't like that there are jails and bushes all around the globe where you can live by yourself.

I really don't see people not wearing masks. I go to restaurants, I go to shopping malls. The only place I see people not wearing masks in near night clubs, young people that is not vaccinated yet...
Are you in Europe?

Some people say if you don't have symptoms after taking the vacines it isn't working, anyone has any info on that?
Untrue.

I'm definitely seeing a much higher percentage of people not wearing masks than the percentage of people who are vaccinated.
I would say the same here in CT. At church yesterday I was thinking I might wear a mask again.

My father doesn't want to get vaccinated …
Ask your father how many vaccines he received as a child. Polio? Smallpox? Others? And he survived them all!

Yes, south-western Europe.

Ask your father how many vaccines he received as a child. Polio? Smallpox? Others? And he survived them all!
He knows all that, but when he was a kid he wasn't and idiot, now he is. I believe is problem is not really if the vaccine is going to be bad for him, he doesn't care about that like reasonable responsible people do. You know those people that simply disagree to revel against something in the hope someone cares?

I'm really not interested, and if I can say that about my father imagine all the other idiots that won't take the vaccine. You wanna die? Be my guest. It's unpopular, but I'm not superman trying to save people. People have to start taking responsibility for the actions and decisions they make. We live in a age of information, there's information on information, the most scientific valid sources of information are well known, people don't like them because it doesn't suit them.

I'm in Europe too (Wales) and thankfully, it's still mandatory to wear masks indoors (unless eating at your table in a restaurant). Great to see that Wales has the lowest infection rate of any country in the UK (1 in 360) probably not saying much but every bit of good news helps at the moment.

Yes, south-western Europe.

You know those people that simply disagree to revel against something in the hope someone cares?
We sure do. In English they are called “oppositional”. Perfect word to describe them.

SW Europe doesn’t tell us much. It’s fun to know which country everyone comes from. We have a lot of foreign members here.

I'm in Europe too (Wales) and thankfully, it's still mandatory to wear masks indoors (unless eating at your table in a restaurant). Great to see that Wales has the lowest infection rate of any country in the UK (1 in 360) probably not saying much but every bit of good news helps at the moment.
I think it’s saying a lot. Terrific report.

The only time I have to wear a mask now is when I work on the weekend picking up samples from mostly medical facilities. Other places are prisons, the MBTA, and an old folks home. A couple of weeks ago I walked into the old folks home and was surprised to see that they no longer had a mask policy. I heard on the radio this morning that there's an outbreak at a similar place down in the Cape. I'm no mask madman but these places were the hardest hit. It's alarming.