The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Playtime has some of Tati's and Mr. Hulot's best sight and sound gags, but why did it have to go on for two-and-a-half hours? No votes.

I think it's understandable to question the films run time in that it doesn't really have any specific narrative or character arcs that need a lot of time to resolve. It also doesn't span generations or eons of time in telling its story. It's just a single day. And because its Tati, is populated mostly by his gently rendered (yet frequently very pointed) observations about modern life. On paper it doesn't feel like it should require much more than 90 minutes, if not less. After all, it's really just a series of gags when you boil it right down to its essence and if the Marx Brothers had ever claimed to have needed two and a half hours to articulate their particular brand of humor, I might be similarly dubious (and I say this as a huge fan of the Marx Brothers).

Personally though, I think the runtime is essential to the films revolutionary nature. I'm generally a person who rarely sees film comedy as being terribly cinematic. While there are certainly exceptions, comedy most often feels like it is just using the medium of film as a convenience to deliver its punchlines to the maximum amount of people, and rarely utilized much of its cinematic potential to push anything further. Playtime though seems to almost approach its use of gag humor as an entire universe for its audience to exist inside of. We are in essence made to sit back and leisurely watch life unfold, while in the distance, Tati might slowly tease out some peculiarity of our existence (and almost never call any attention to itself, his jokes are so organically incorporated into the picture frame they as a result become a intractable part of life itself).

Could the movie have worked at a slim 80 or 90 minutes? Probably, and it would have likely ended up being very similar to what makes M. Hulot's Hollday and Mon Oncle successful. Great movies both of them, each full of some of the greatest comedic poetry, as well as understanding how film can deepen the effect of humor. But neither of them are ever going to quite be Playtime. And this has a lot to do with how much time we are left contemplating this city he built specifically for his production of this film. This extra time no only allows the whimsy of his humour to become all the more grounded in an existence that slowly seems to start mirroring our own in how it slowly unfurls, but there is also a beautiful boldness in the philosophy he is employing by letting his slight, little comedy take up as much cinematic oxygen as something like 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Because of this, when I watch Playtime, I'm not just left with the mirth his approach to comedy brings out in me (and, yes, it is a very funny movie for those willing to let their eyes and senses roam around the screen), but it also feels sadder than the others, because there seems to be a sense of a man staring at each of its scenes of city life as if trying to remember something that was once beautiful there, or hoping if they keep staring long enough it will return. It is one long, lingering gaze at a world slowly being rearranged out of shape, and the feeling that this may be the last time we'll even recognize the humanity that lives inside of it anymore. And this gaze needs its time.

Obviously Playtime was on my list. It was probably a top five. On a good day it could have been top 3. And I say this knowing that it really isn't even my favorite Tati, which is M. Hulot's Holiday. Playtime, as I kind of get into above, is a lot to take in. It is a bit daunting and can feel like a chore at times, where as Holiday is about as breezy as a film gets. But almost no film in history has impressed me as much as Playtime. I think it is one of the monuments of film. And about as original a vision as I've ever seen. Tati was a genius

I love how Princess Mononoke looks. But I can't get much into its story, and it's just such a heavy handed thing, belaboured with plotting and messages. Two things that immediately make me zone out. I agree with those like Torgo who feel it's just a little bit too on the nose with its environmental allegory. I'd rather have a movie make me feel something instead of explaining why I should be feeling something.

Close-Up is one of Kiarostami's best, but that doesn't say much because I'm not a fan of the guy. Its twin brother, A Moment of Innocence, is the better film. Like twice better.
Sadly, the odds of A Moment of Innocence making this list are very slim. It is the better film though.

I saw Princess Mononoke back in the late 90s/early 00s, and didn't really like it that much. Then again, my reaction to most anime hasn't been very good.

I saw Playtime earlier this year, thanks to the Personal Rec. HoF and had a lot of fun with it, but it didn't make my list. Here's what I wrote about it (review).

My Summary:

Seen: 18/56
My list: 3/25

My List  

A Moment of Innocence is the SECOND BEST film from Iran.

Yeah I said it.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Surprise, I haven't seen any of these.

I haven't seen any of Ray's films (my first introduction to Indian cinema was Singham, believe it or not) but much like Fellini and Renoir, I do need to get on that. Haven't heard of Playtime or Close-Up.

Close-Up is one of Kiarostami's best, but that doesn't say much because I'm not a fan of the guy. Its twin brother, A Moment of Innocence, is the better film. Like twice better.
Let's we see that on The MoFo Top 100 Metacinema Countdown, like, maybe...

Just watched Nausicaa for the first time. Absolutely flawless, and I wish I put it on my list. It would have made number 11.

Since I last checked in.

Sansho The Bailiff, I've not seen, but I can't remember if I started watching it and turned it off or just haven't seen any of it. I remember I did record it but deleted it.

Blue is amazing. It's on my 100 and I love that film. I'm not usually one for 'pretty pictures' in films, but the use of colour and music in that film are tremendous and I feel like I could hang almost every frame of it on my wall. I can't think of a film whose use of music is more tied into the film. Certainly not one which does so to such effect. I really must try and watch this again because something tells me I'll get so much more from it now.

Close Up is a film I always thought sounded interesting but, again, never got around to seeing.

I'm sure I started watching Pather Panchali but turned it off because I didn't feel in the right mood to watch it and just never got back to it.

We know I've not seen Princess Mononoke. I've not seen Playtime either and don't really have any desire to.

113 points, 7 lists
44. La Strada

Director

Federico Fellini, 1954

Starring

Anthony Quinn, Giulietta Masina, Richard Basehart, Aldo Silvani

117 points, 9 lists
43. Grave of the Fireflies

Director

Isao Takahata, 1988

Starring

Tsutomu Tatsumi, Ayano Shiraishi, Yoshiko Shinohara, Akemi Yamaguchi

Grave of the Fireflies is a great movie and if I were to have given a vote to any Ghibli film, this would've been it. It's beautiful and heartbreaking - but I never want to watch it again and gave favor to films that I have revisited or at least want to revisit.

I haven't seen La Strada or anything else from Fellini.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I watched La Strada twice. I hated it the first time and liked it the second time. It's still not my favorite Fellini.

Grave of the Fireflies is a very good film.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Haven't seen La Strada.

I saw Grave of the Fireflies earlier this year, and boy, it got to me Here's what I wrote about it (review). Still, it didn't make my list.

My Summary:

Seen: 19/58
My list: 3/25

My List  

Welcome to the human race...
Have not seen La Strada. Grave of the Fireflies is as good as its reputation suggests, still don't consider it a top-tier favourite though.

Reply to Topic