The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
Which direction do you think you want to go with Godard? His first 12 years making films he pretty much churned out masterpiece after masterpiece.

Romance -
Contempt
Two or Three Things I Know About Her
Masculin/Feminin

High Concept -
Alphaville
Weekend
Tout Va Bien

Pure Noir -
Breathless
Band of Outsiders
My Life to Live
Pierrot Le Fou
I'll start with two. First off, Breathless is a film a lot of people talk about, and one I recognize despite being very poor in knowledge of Godard. Second, Contempt, because I plan on watching all of the films that make this list.

Run Lola Run I enjoyed a lot when I first saw it. Beware though, a second viewing was marred by knowing the plot elements and gimmicks that it throws at you. It was a real surprise though, and I plan to watch it one more time to see where it ultimately lands for me. Bit of a surprise, seeing it here.

Diabolique I should have seen by now. It's going up in the queue.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Films I've seen : 9
Films that have been on my radar : 2
Films I've never even heard of : 21
Films I've heard of : 1

Films from my list : 0

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched 3 of the last 4 movies for this countdown, and 2 of them made my list.

I liked Shoplifters enough to consider it for my list, but it didn't make the final cut. I'm glad, (but not surprised), to see that it made the countdown anyway.

I loved Run Lola Run. I thought it was very clever, and one of the most exciting movies that I watched for this countdown. It made it all the way up to #6 on my list.

Diabolique was a rewatch for me, but it had been so long since the last time I saw it that it felt like it was the first time I was watching it. I don't consider it to be a horror movie, but it's a terrific thriller. It has a very Hitchcock feel to it. It was #23 on my list.

I've never heard of Contempt.

I think I had Run Lola Run as a honorable, but it's been forever since I've seen it.

And Diabolique is my #8! This look at a boarding school and how its strict operator becomes the surprising target of a diabolical plan between two mistreated women...his wife and his mistress. Featuring an interesting story and a dogged detective named Albert who is one catchphrase away from being the French Colombo, you just can't keep your eyes away from this film until the final reel.

Updated List with Probabilities of Making the Cut:

1. 90 percent
2. 95 percent
3. 100 percent
4. 40 percent
5. 20 percent
6. 100 percent
7. 100 percent
8. Diabolique
9. 80 percent
10. 70 percent
11. 40 percent
12. 50 percent
13. 20 percent
14. 10 percent
15. 40 percent
16. Less than 1 percent
17. Less than 1 percent
18. 95 percent
19. 5 percent
20. 35 percent
21. 5 percent
22. Less than 1 percent
23. 10 percent
24. 5 percent
25. 1 percent

Contempt I saw in my late teens/early 20's, I think, when I was starting to venture into foreign language cinema. I can't remember a thing about it though and that's if I did, indeed, see it. Not a fan of the Goddard I saw though.

Shoplifters I've definitely not seen.

I saw Run Lola Run when it came out. Was a bit of a must see film for those of us hoping to see something other than Hollywood films. I saw it a couple of times but agree with Yoda that it gets repetitve even at 80 minutes. I liked it but it wouldn't have made my list.

Les Diabolique is on my 100 and definitely would've been high up on any list I'd have sent in.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Shoplifters is a good film but looks like it got very popular in the West and people hopped on the Koreeda hype train way too late. Well, at least it gave some exposure to both Koreeda and contemporary Japanese cinema.

Contempt is probably Godard's most mainstream film of the 60s. Starring sex-bomb Brigitte Bardot and master Fritz Lang, it's quite a startling combination. Watched it years ago but still remember the opening credits narrated by Godard himself. And the beautiful soundtrack, of course.

I haven't seen Run Lola Run.

Diabolique is Clouzot's most Hitchcockian and a very good film, but The Wages of Fear give it a run of its money.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Shoplifters is a good film but looks like it got very popular in the West and people hopped on the Koreeda hype train way too late. Well, at least it gave some exposure to both Koreeda and contemporary Japanese cinema.
I totally agree. Same happened with Parasite and Burning. Weirdly popular in the West when all 3 directors have films that are miles better.

Burning is still the best by lee chang-dong though. fight me.

Sorry if I disturb the topic but:
1. Is this tournament still open for submission?
2. Where are the rules to be read?
1. No, you've unfortunately missed the boat for this one.
2. Here

Here we go...

Regardless of whether they are popular in the west Shoplifters is Koreeda's best film, Parasite is Bong's best, and Burning is probably Lee's.

I know, I know, it used to be cool because no one knew about these directors and their movies. Or that Korea was going through an amazing wave the last 10+ years. Or that Japan had one of the most exciting film histories. But you knew. And it was great. Now that's all over with. Grandma's quoting Kitano and your drinking buddies aren't talking football, they're talking Hong Sang-soo.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
If I haven't missed the boat, my list would probably brake the tie in the end of the list. The Return, now at #98, would probably be something like one-pointer in my list somewhere #24-25.

The Michael Haneke's Caché, now at #82, would also get some points from me and would make Top 80.

77 points, 4 lists
68. Au Revoir Les Enfants

Director

Louis Malle, 1987

Starring

Gaspard Manesse, Raphael Fejto, Francine Racette, Stanislas Carre de Malberg

77 points, 8 lists
67. The Wages of Fear

Director

Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1953

Starring

Yves Montand, Charles Vanel, Peter van Eyck, Folco Lulli

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I think these are both awesome films. I thought I had voted for Au Revoir les Enfants, but I must have cut it from my list.

Two decent movies that I don’t remember much and will watch again at some point. Malle hasn’t really been for me yet, although I think I have only seen 3.

Watched Paprika last night. Wouldn’t have been anywhere near my list but I did find it interesting visually. Nolan had to have had this movie in mind a bit while writing Inception, right? Not just because of the dream within a dream stuff but the red carpeted hallway immediately evoked Inception for me. Then Paprika runs up a wall in a different hallway, but very similar visually.

I haven't seen Au Revoir Les Enfants (not sure I've ever heard of that one, in fact), but I have seen The Wages of Fear, which was one of the final five or so films I had to leave off of my ballot. Here's a defense of its slow paced first hour which I wrote a while ago:

There isn't much I can say on its gargantuan and unrelenting level of suspense which hasn't already been said, so instead, I'll make a case for the first hour. While it takes its time to get going, I quite liked it as, by establishing the various conflicts amongst the four drivers, this made the contrasting behavior they later showed all the more effective. Jo stood out the most in this regard. When he was in the town, he displayed a superiority over the other men. He was a former gang member, was well dressed, and publicly mocked those who got in his way (it was also implied that he was responsible for a character's disappearance in the first hour). During the truck ride, however, he displayed cowardice all throughout it and, in turn, was insulted and treated as an outcast amongst the other drivers. While Jo could intimidate them back in the town, he was now vulnerable to being looked down upon and the other three men, especially Luigi (Jo embarrassed him earlier in the film), took advantage of this. These character dynamics gave the final 1.5 hours an extra layer of suspense, one that wouldn't have worked this well had it not been for the first hour.

Reply to Topic