The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Saw Shoplifters recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Contempt is easily my favorite from that director.

9. The Skin I Live In (#92)
10. Contempt (#71)
14. Sundays and Cybele (#73)
16. Samurai Rebellion (#79)

Two more that I haven't seen

My Summary:

Seen: 6/30
My list: 1/25

My List  

Seen: 1
Heard of: 8
My list: 1
My posts here: 4

Finally! One I have seen, loved and #7 on my list (“Shoplifters”).Turned on to it in the roulette thread. There are a couple more I was led to in that thread that surely will show up.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Contempt - 8/10...... I'm not a big fan of Godard, but I think this is his best one, but I've only seen less than a dozen. I really remember and liked the scene where there is an announcement; asking for a moment of silence for some dead comrade (and then there's a ton of stock market bells which I know was very deliberate and symbolic of the dehumanization of society in favor of money).

Shoplifters - 7.5/10

Battle Royale is an honorable mention. All the films on my list are B+ and above so we'll see what transpires.

Haven't seen Sundays and Cybele.

Had a chance to see Shoplifters in Cinema International, but I didn't see it for whatever reason. Plan on seeing this one this year as part of the 2021 challenge.

Haven't seen Contempt.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Have not seen Contempt and have bounced back and forth on whether or not TO see it.
Fell head over heels for Shoplifters that it made #3 on my list as you'll see in this VERY gushing review lol

Shoplifters (2018)

A loving, caring, safe, positive haven amongst a destitute situation. A family of "collectors" that we learn includes the members of this current family. Each of them truly caring about their fellow beneficiaries in this loving hovel. The entire clan also excels at the art of shoplifting as a strategic plan of operation.
I LOVED happily drifting off into engrossment/endearment to this family.
And, oh my dear, sweet lord, the ending? Not only did I cry learning where they all ended up at, but I sobbed. Shoulders shuddering, in tiny gasps, kind of sobs.
A personal first.

It
was
glorious.

So I'm feeling, gosh, gee, I don't know. . . I mean, yeah, a kind of affection, sure, if I was gonna be blunt and/or honest about it. I would be, I supposed, inclined to be on the more agreeing spectrum of that theory. Sure, why not?

To me, how can this ensemble, this story, this beautifully shot, emotionally stirring, wonderfully sentimental, a slice of life, by Writer/Director Hirokazu Koreeda, NOT win Best Picture? Sh#t. F@ckin. Yes. It SHOULD.

That was so beautiful.
Truly, truly, oh so very, very beautiful.

The expressing of technical appreciations and the honorary notations of elemental trivia, almost feel unnecessary due to the wondrous gush of emotion that this film gifted me with. This gift leaving a happy muteness to citing the List of Names.
However exceptional they all are.

Movies Seen: 14 of 30 (46.66%)
3. Shoplifters (2018) #72
4. Rome, Open City (1945) #93
5. Rififi (1955) #76
6. Army of Shadows (1969) #90
13. Samurai Rebellion (1967) #79
19. Paprika (2006) #100
25. In This Corner of the World (2016) One Pointer

Contempt left me a little cold, but I'm open to a rewatch in the future. It is not the Godard I voted for.

I forgot the opening line.
I've yet to see any of Jean-Luc Godard's films, but will delve in one day soon for sure. Shoplifters looks to be very good.

(Apologies for deleting my Dirty Dozen comic - a little too big and brash. I like, and try hard, to keep a lower profile.)

I've yet to see any of Jean-Luc Godard's films, but will delve in one day soon for sure. Shoplifters looks to be very good.

(Apologies for deleting my Dirty Dozen comic - a little too big and brash. I like, and try hard, to keep a lower profile.)
Which direction do you think you want to go with Godard? His first 12 years making films he pretty much churned out masterpiece after masterpiece.

Romance -
Contempt
Two or Three Things I Know About Her
Masculin/Feminin

High Concept -
Alphaville
Weekend
Tout Va Bien

Pure Noir -
Breathless
Band of Outsiders
My Life to Live
Pierrot Le Fou

I'm so glad to see Shoplifters here. It's probably Kore-eda's 4th or 5th best film but it's his most widely known so unsurprising that's the one that has appeared in this list. Contempt is also a worthy entry and a fine Godard film.

Neither made my list.

Some of these I haven't seen in so long and I could maybe go for a rewatch of a couple - Contempt, Fitzcarraldo. But I did watch Shoplifters very recently and who knows could have fought for a spot on my list.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

76 points, 6 lists
70. Run Lola Run

Director

Tom Tykwer, 1998

Starring

Franka Potente, Moritz Bleibtreu, Herbert Knaup, Nina Petri

76 points, 7 lists
69. Diabolique

Director

Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1955

Starring

Simone Signoret, Vera Clouzot, Paul Meurisse, Charles Vanel

Two great flicks. Voted for neither.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Reply to Topic