MOFO 80's Teen Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

kinda shocked Im writing my little review/comments as Im watching them.. perhaps I relate much more to these movies than most.. I see so much of my high school years in these two films.
Wait... we didnt have vampires... but still... its a good comedy romance movie.

after cookies are done baking... I will watch another tonight...

perhaps 3 tomorrow and Im off for the next 6 days from work!

What kind of cookies? And did you bring enough to share
sugar cookies and I have 12... they are the kind that come premade but not cooked and break the little squares off and bake.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Akira

This had always been, for the longest time, THE go-to film for Japanese Animation whenever someone wanted to explore such films.
Even though, as a tyke I saw a few Americanized animated TV shows like Speed Racer and Kimba; The White Lion, when this came out, it was pretty mind-blowing when it came to animation. At that time in the 80s, this was the next generation of Japanese artwork and still comes up in conversations when talking about Anime.
Also, this is on a VERY small list of films that I will select Dubbed instead of Subtitles. Another, coincidentally as the same person doing the voice for Kei also does Faye, in Cowboy Bebop.

But, enough of that.

Opening up with an incredible fight on motorcycles through the streets of Tokyo, we hit the ground running in this action/sci-fi of a futuristic city (2019) and the clash of these delinquents and a genetic experiment that is accidentally unleashed on one of them.
Bouncing from the corrupt scientists, to the Military attempts to contain it all, to Radicals looking to rebel the system and expose the secret of said experiment, to the psychic children who are the most recent subjects of it, the pacing moves quickly. And at first, may seem a little confusing. Especially as we move toward the final act and the grandiose battle as the experiment takes over the young gang member, Tetsuo.

Interspersed throughout the swearing, violence and psychic battling we do have, at it's core, the need for finding one's self that is a strong aspect of being a teenager. Albeit set in a science fiction/Militant existence. But still, very much there.

Been TOO LONG since the last time I saw this excellent animation.

Weird Science (Honorary Nomination)

This has to be one of Hughes most outlandish excursion into teenage awkwardness and the need to fit in, and for me, one of the most quotable and hilarious of the bunch.

When two geeks decide to use a computer to create a real woman and get Kelly LeBrock the outrageous fun begins.
From the hilarious Blues Bar Scene to having to submit to a bullying older brother, to a having a crazy house party where Mad Max villians crash the fun, our two geeks learn the valuable lesson of being yourself is what truly matters.

This is, of course, far more fantastical when it comes to plot lines, but it is D@MN funny and a great lil ride.
For the Hughes films out there, I am pretty stoked that this one showed up, even if only as an Honorary.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Once Bitten

rating -

80's Teen Rating -

Right off the bat, no pun intended, the film screams 80's. So I knew I was going to like it to some degree. There is something about the 80's decade that just appeals to me. The clothes, the music, the vibe. Maybe I should have been a teen in the 80's.

The film has The Countess, a 400+ year old vampire who needs to suck the blood of a virgin to retain her youthful beauty. She picks Jim Carrey, a sexually frustrated teenager whose been trying to get it on with his girlfriend, but she isn't ready. A comical opening with them in a car surrounded by every other car rockin' had me chuckle. Well, he goes to the Vamp's place and she sucks his blood. Is it done yet? Nope, she has to do it two more times to complete the ritual. Is he doing okay? Nope, he's slowly becoming pale, wearing black, sensitive to light and he can't seem to find his reflection in the mirror. How can they stop the Countess and save the virgin at the same time?

Cue a lot of dated sexual humour. When Robin, his girlfriend, goes to a bookstore to get more information on vampires (something this guy knows way too much about) there are a few awkward jokes thrown around. She asks him "will a female vampire suck the blood of an 18 year old boy?" The man replies with a quick "No" and a smile. "How can you be so sure?" she asks. "The female vampire needs the blood of a virgin. If an 18 year old boy is a virgin, he has bigger problems than vampires on his hands". Oomph.

That pales in comparison to a bit in the shower. When his buddies try to see if they can spot the bite marks on his inner thighs, fellow students see this as a homosexual act and proceed to yell out FAG ALERT, FAGS IN THE SHOWER. Cringe-worthy. It all accumulates to Robin giving in to Mark (Carrey) in order to save his life. What a line eh? You need to have sex with me...my life depends on it. I'm not entirely sure how the sex stuff played out back in the mid 80's, but it's dated and awkward now.

The rest of the film is solid gold though. Jim Carrey's first leading role I think. He pulls his usual limber and comedic facial bits here and there. A standout scene is a dance off between Mark - Robin - The Countess. Who knew he had so many moves? I watched this film through the eyes of "This is an 80's teen comedy" and took it at that value. Is it a "good" film? That's debatable, but it's one that I enjoyed. I mean come on, this movie has a vampire pushing over an elderly woman in a department store for crying out loud. It's funny.

And I'm sorry, as attractive as Lauren Hutton is....Karen Kopins had this cute factor going on that I couldn't stop thinking about.

Suspect's Reviews

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Maybe we can get some more teen pics of the HoF members? I love to see what @Joel @gbgoodies @edarsenal and everyone else...looked like back in high school.

Sorry, but I don't post pics of myself or any family members, (except pets), on the internet. (I don't do any social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, etc. either.)

I feel this is one of the most beautiful sad song ever...its featured in an 80s teen movie as well..

Which one?

I bet only myself and @mark f know.

I haven't caught up with this thread yet, so I don't know if anyone has answered this yet, but "Just Once" was in the movie The Last American Virgin.

It's one of my all-time favorite songs, and I would have bought the soundtrack to that movie, but the songs that I loved in the movie ("Just Once" by James Ingram and "Open Arms" by Journey), weren't included on the soundtrack.

I belonged to my own clique. I got along with some and not with others. My sophomore year, my brother who was 5 years older than me, was a senior and all the girls who was my age was hot for my bro. They were the mean b*tches to me until they learned who he was. I had some good memories and bad because of this I will never go to any high school reunions.

We had preps, jocks, rockers, nerds, drug heads, no-bodies and me.

I learned a few things in my life that has gotten me through.

1.learn to accept everyone.
2. Learn to be able to converse with anyone..so that means learn a lot of things.
And most importantly,

If they don't like me, that's their problem, not mine.

I had a similar experience in jr. high and high school. I had a small group of very good friends, and I just pretty much ignored the rest of the students. Most of them were either J.A.P.s, jocks, or druggies.

I didn't go to my prom or any reunions because I had no interest in seeing anyone who was there.

Can't Buy Me Love (1987)

I was really sad to read about Amanda Peterson on Wiki She was only 15 when she made the movie and reading about her life made me feel even more melancholy about the movie. And that's the main emotion I felt during the movie, a sense of melancholy and loss...and I like movies like that.
I didn't know anything about Amanda Peterson until I read this and I looked her up on Wiki just now. I'm glad I didn't read this before watching the movie because it's sad to watch movies when I know that the actors died young and/or tragically.

I think the build up to the end was pretty great with Patrick Dempsey's character being exposed as a fraud and how the entire school ostracized him. If I could change one thing it would be the last minute of the film:

WARNING: "ending" spoilers below
I wish at the very end of the film the girl had NOT came back to him. For me the happy ending diminished the strength of the previous moments when he tells her he's glad all of this happened to him as he learned the importance of being who you are.
Although I disagree with you about the ending, I felt so bad for him when she exposed him as a fraud, but after the way he acted once he became part of the "cool kids", he deserved it.

Can't Buy Me Love
(1987)

This is a common thing in most 80's Teen films, the clique. Cliques tend to be important to younger people but as they grow older they learn that they are meaningless. Some say it helps create the person we are meant to be. But if you notice, most cliques are judgemental to one or more other cliques. Society, over the years, has taught us to take whatever it means to success, from business to friendships,

I enjoyed this movie again. There was many "Ronnie's" out there when I was growing up. People who just wanted to belong to a more social higher group. Once he got to the standard he wanted to, he wanted more. More isn't what he needed, it took him past of who he really was.

Cindy is the girl every girl wanted to be in high school. The popular, most beautiful person full of friends. Friends that may be shallow or sincere but everyone wanted to be a "Cindy". I knew a lot of "Cindys" during my high school years. Even today I see it, people who havent moved on in life but look back into these cliques.

This was a heart-warming fun teen movie. A movie that most probably has seen from my generation, if not in continuing generations.

Trivia: did anyone take notice who played Ronnie's little brother, Chuckie?

The problem with these cliques is that they don't always end when we graduate high school. They just change names. They're no longer "cliques". They're "prejudices", and they become much more dangerous as adults.

BTW, Ronnie's little brother was played by a young Seth Green. Sometimes it seems like he's in just about everything.

sugar cookies and I have 12... they are the kind that come premade but not cooked and break the little squares off and bake.

You're supposed to buy the chocolate chip uncooked cookies, but by the tub, not the break-apart kind. Then you can just eat them with a spoon. No oven required.

I mean...this music...what the shlt?!

I know exactly what you mean. A lot of that cheeseball muzak causes me great hesitations on films I love simply because of the soundtrack.
A specific abomination for me is Ladyhawke which I just love but GOD that music! And it's SOOO wrong in every f@ckin way. It's this computerized dance club muzak unholy hybrid mixture of bargain basement music scores that threatens to ruin scene after f@ckin SCENE!!

Is there a time limit on this?
No.. .I figured it would finish sometime in January or early February of 2019.