Police using boards

Tools    

It's common to see on American TV series and films the police and reporters having boards on the wall with photos pinned, arrows and lines, notes, notices, etc. when addressing cases. As if it was the standard procedure to work with.

Is there any reason for that? Is it easier to investigate that way? What are the advantages of using that method?

It's common to see on American TV series and films the police and reporters having boards on the wall with photos pinned, arrows and lines, notes, notices, etc. when addressing cases. As if it was the standard procedure to work with.

Is there any reason for that? Is it easier to investigate that way? What are the advantages of using that method?
I have no idea if real police do that or not. Probably they did way back before computers, but now adays I doubt it. I'd guess those boards are done in movies and TV for the audience, so that they can follow the narrative of the police procedural story more easily...and it looks cool on film too.

When I saw the headline, I thought it was about police using message boards like this to catch criminals.
Funny that, 'cos I thought it was gonna be about them replacing their stone flooring

I'd agree it's most likely just more visually appealing and also allows necessary exposition without it feeling forced.