Best film score ever?

Tools    

heylo!!!

Phantom of the Opera
Jaws
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

all excellent and none of them were mentioned yet

Of films that haven't been named yet, Fargo, Robocop, Herzog's Nosferatu, The Third Man and Assault on Precinct 13.

Lets put a smile on that block
I know there are other threads on this somewhere as i'm a big fan of movie scores and have posted in them...and i would do a search and then list said threads by writing HERE underlined in green and bold for you all to click on. But i cant be bothered.

Some movie scores that i consider to be the best are Jaws, The Godfather, Jurassic Park, E.T, Schindlers List, Cast Away, Contact, Meet Joe Black, Finding Nemo, American Beauty, Shawshank Redemption, Edward Scissorhands, Unbreakable and Birth. The latter two are probably my favourite, especially Alexandre Desplat's incredible score for Birth. Like the film, its very haunting, with its mixture of strings and flutes, giving it a classical feel, but underneath this style there is a low frequency beat that pulses throughout almost every song. Its so strange to listen to, and only works on a good stereo system but its the most bizarre sound. You can feel this buzz going through you when you listen to it. Awsome stuff.

There's treachery afoot!!!
The Star Wars movies were probably the best I had ever seen up until I
saw the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, the music was perfect for every scene.

Also:
Jaws
Superman: The Movie
Elephant
The Matrix
Braveheart

I would say Platoon but 'Adagio for Strings' plays in nearly every scene, it's so overused it loses its effect.

Just a girl who loves movies
Michael Nyman's "Piano" and Hans Zimmer & Lisa Gerard (from Dead Can Dance) - "Gladiator" are coming to my mind now ...

I thought van heilsing had a good sound to it....maybe im way off

You may be... But I remember one good song from Van Heilsing... I'd say best score is a really tough question. But I'm a fan of Hans Zimmer or his style at least... So I'd say the Rock/Gladiator/Pirates of the Caribbean.
"Directing ain't about drawing a neat little picture and showing it to the cameraman. I didn't want to go to film school. I didn't know what the point was. The fact is, you don't know what directing is until the sun is setting and you've got to get five shots and you're only going to get two." - David Fincher

Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
I would say Platoon but 'Adagio for Strings' plays in nearly every scene, it's so overused it loses its effect.
i haven't seen to many other movies overuse adagio for strings and the choral version kicks some serious ass. maybe your thinking of o fortuna which seems like it's used daily.

my list:
last of the mohicans
crash
terminator 2
predator
snatch
animatrix
star wars ep3 "god i love duel of fates"

Schindler's List has an amazing score. John Williams is a genious like none other. Star Wars is also great (Imperial March ) and Jaws.

Yeah, Starwars for me too.

I'm kind of wierd though. I barely ever notice the musical scores of movies. I keep telling myself to pay more attention to it but keep forgetting.

Ground Control To Major Thom
Untouchables

Oh yeah, The Untouchables has a great score.

Ennio Morricone is a genius.

Edward Scissorhands.
Terminator 3 (seriously, especially the ending)
Nightmare before Christmas (Danny Elphman's awesome)
Highlander
But, the best score to any movie in the history of movies.......
LAST OF THE MOHICANS (Daniel Day Lewis version)
Sounds wierd, but to me, each one of these movies had a score that captured a particular moment or theme better than anything I can think of. Especially the chase at the end of Mohicans.

Success is the only Earthly judge..
As far as movie scores go it is totally opnionated, and based on musical taste...for classical-john williams takes it in pretty much any movie he writes a score for. For others, triple x and fight club had good music.

last of the mohicans had some good sounds, i bought it to put me to sleep, good times

Star Wars: All good
Toy Story: Randy Newman has such a distinct voice.
LOTR trilogy: It a fantastic and beautiful score.
Dambusters: For that one theme.
Flash Gordon: Love Queen!
All those classic horror scores. (tubular bells etc....)