Rioting in the U.S.

Tools    

Again, this stems from misunderstanding the term. Which has been explained too often to keep repeating here. All you’re doing now is moving the goal posts with endless questions on top on straw man arguments in an Fallacious attempt at disproving the term, where I have already acknowledged that we’ll never agree with it. It just seems it’s more important for you to be “right”, rather then anything else. Can we please put this to rest?
It’s obvious by now we don’t agree, but I do think we can both agree to just move on from endless post after endless post in a vain attempt to one up each other.
Can we agree with that?
The only explanations I've gotten for the term are, white people aren't looked at with the same suspicion, which there's a reason for, or bandaids are close to the skin color, which there's a reason for. I have no beef with you, and I appreciate that you have been genuine and nonjudgmental towards me. I do hate the term and would like to beat it to death because it hurts a lot of people and helps nobody. I genuinely care about other people so that's why it bothers me.

Many of my questions have not been answered. I want to know if this privilege applies to whites who are Jewish, homosexuals who have been tormented and have had to hide who they are, children who have been molested, women who have been raped, victims of other violent crime, victims of police brutality, those who have lost their loved ones, those who are in prison, those who are poor, those who are homeless, the obese, the deformed, the handicapped, the diseased, the mentally ill, and those who have never caught a break in their life. You have to tell me that you could look them in the eye and say, I know you've had problems, but you are white therefore you are privileged. Could you say that to them?

While we're at it, Asians in America do better than whites with the family structure, staying out of prison, education, and career. Can you tell me it's accurate and acceptable to say they have Asian privilege?

You have to answer both of those questions with a yes. If you can do that then at least I can accept that you truly believe in what you are saying.

And of course we are all friends, even friggin McClane

Well this is a sad coincidence. My wife's friend, Kym, just sent her this video. She's the mother in the video and my wife has been advocating for her son Terrel for years.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
If people just said it's harder to be a minority, I would say yup there's no doubt about it.

So, semantics. Got it. Call it by another word and you agree. Call by whatever someone else tries to explain it as and you side-step arguments, respond to what's not actually said and reduce responses to a level that's just easier to dismiss than the totality of what is offered. Band-aids? For all the effort I took to detail out how some things can be perceived as different and inconsequential by one race and not quite so by another, I'm disappointed that you reduce it to band-aids and still claim that no one is answering you. It's a relatable anecdote to try to help offer perspective. I'm not sure you're asking these questions in good faith as efforts presented are misrepresented to argue something else, leaving the original points ignored.

It's harder to be a minority, then. That help?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

So, semantics. Got it. Call it by another word and you agree. Call by whatever someone else tries to explain it as and you side-step arguments, respond to what's not actually said and reduce responses to a level that's just easier to dismiss than the totality of what is offered. Band-aids? For all the effort I took to detail out how some things can be perceived as different and inconsequential by one race and not quite so by another, I'm disappointed that you reduce it to band-aids and still claim that no one is answering you. It's a relatable anecdote to try to help offer perspective. I'm not sure you're asking these questions in good faith as efforts presented are misrepresented to argue something else, leaving the original points ignored.

It's harder to be a minority, then. That help?
I'm trying, and I wasn't reducing your argument to band-aids, it was just one of the examples I've been given, and I've been given that example before. I don't think it's semantics either. It's harder to be a minority in any way, not just with race. While it may sound similar to white privilege to you, I don't see the relation at all. Someone can be a minority in their own home, or on this forum. I liked the post you made, agreed with some of it and disagreed with some of it. I try to keep responses as simple and short as I can.

I mean Ynwtf, I get the story of the white woman worrying about her black children. These things certainly happen. The police pulled a gun on me in my own home while responding to a possible break in. A lot of things can happen or look suspicious regardless of race. I also told the story of the National guard mistaking me as a looter. If I were black, there's a good chance I'd believe it only happened because I was black, and many people would believe me. Except I'm not black so it's, nothing?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
No I understand what you're saying and there's a lot of truth to it. Law abiding black citizens are paying dearly because of law breaking black citizens. That doesn't mean white people are privileged. That means we have to lift up the black community.

As you said, that doesn't hold water.
When did I ever claim that the relationship between the hardships of law abiding and law breaking black citizens mean white people are privileged? If anything, I admitted that there are more issues at play here than just one. Pretty sure I emphasized that in red. Sec, lemme see if that's true....

Yup. Here it is. You even quoted me.

Originally Posted by ynwtf
It is not that a white cop did some thing to a black man. That's just the end of that particular road that has been padded with unspoken social acceptance (note for a call back, later) over generations of inequality plus about a hundred other social issues that exist also. (BTW, to call out racial injustice does not by default mean every other problem suddenly doesn't exist or that they are somehow in competition.

Plus about a hundred other social issues that exist also. In addition to. Along side of.

I guess it's easy to misrepresent what others say to make a new argument against that, instead of you know, what was said.

Speaking of misrepresenting arguments:
Originally Posted by cricket
This is a real thing, but what you're saying is it's a privilege to be less concerned with being shot by police. Is that really a privilege, or is it just the way it should be? Tell me a white person can get away with a B & E, and then I'll agree with you. Just as an aside, learning how to act around police should be taught in school.

You omitted the other half of that summary. It's more of a privilege to be less concerned with being shot by police when white, than as a 13 year old black kid (or whatever age the kid was, before that becomes another distraction) living in his white mother's home. It never happened btw. But it is an example of things we generally have to think less of. Yes, I consider living completely ignorant of that risk as a privilege. It is definitely easier for me in that exact situation than as a minority. That better? You already agreed to that specific phrasing so I assume this is resolved.

Still waiting for where I said a white person can get away with B&E. Considering I didn't say that either, I guess this one is resolved too.

This isn't fun btw. I don't think I like having to backtrack against things I'm not arguing. I don't believe others are enjoying it either. That's not debate. That's not even an argument. It's free-for-all no holds barred and completely counterproductive.

As you said, that doesn't hold water.
When did I ever claim that the relationship between the hardships of law abiding and law breaking black citizens mean white people are privileged? If anything, I admitted that there are more issues at play here than just one. Pretty sure I emphasized that in red. Sec, lemme see if that's true....
I didn't say you said anything about the relationship. That's what I said and you're missing my point. Innocent black people are paying for the sins of criminal black people, and that has nothing to do with white people being privileged.

You omitted the other half of that summary. It's more of a privilege to be less concerned with being shot by police when white, than as a 13 year old black kid (or whatever age the kid was, before that becomes another distraction) living in his white mother's home. It never happened btw. But it is an example of things we generally have to think less of. Yes, I consider living completely ignorant of that risk as a privilege. It is definitely easier for me in that exact situation than as a minority. That better? You already agreed to that specific phrasing so I assume this is resolved.
I do not agree that not worrying about the police is a privilege. Any law abiding citizen should not have to worry about the police. If you agree with the last statement, then it can't be a privilege.

Still waiting for where I said a white person can get away with B&E. Considering I didn't say that either, I guess this one is resolved too.
I never claimed you said that. I'm saying if you can tell me that, then that would be a privilege, because unlike not worrying about police, that's actually not supposed to happen.

This isn't fun btw. I don't think I like having to backtrack against things I'm not arguing. I don't believe others are enjoying it either. That's not debate. That's not even an argument. It's free-for-all no holds barred and completely counterproductive.
I think some people are misunderstanding some of my posts. That's partly my fault, but I usually have a reason as to why I'm wording things the way I am.

My position was not about a white (or black) man getting away with B&E so I'm not sure how this is a point to argue.

My point, instead, was to provide an example where a kid's race had to be a consideration that otherwise wouldn't have been an issue had he been white. I'm also not saying this example is representative of all examples. Its just one example to help provide context of privilege some of us get in society.

It should be, "I have two children upstairs, officers." Rather than, "I have two children of color that I've adopted upstairs but the 13yo is 5'8 with a slender build. Please don't assume my child is a threat and shoot him even if he is running away in fear of two strangers with guns in hand approaching his room."

I'm exaggerating to make the point that didn't stick the first time.
I didn't mention something because some of this stuff in my mind is obvious. Reverse the color. The mother is black and the two sons are white. The police will assume the woman has black kids. Suddenly they see a 5'8 white kid who's 13 but looks older running down the hallway. You really think there's no danger there of something bad happening? You really believe they will ignore him and assume he's one of her children because he's white? You don't believe that.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
You still have to say what the privilege is, as in what do white people get away with that's unfair? And you have no issue with generalizing by skin color?

And conveniently, everybody ignores the crime rate and refuses to comment on it. I've already posted that 6% of the population commit 50% of the homicides. How about that blacks are 12 times more likely to assault whites than the other way around. How about among youth robberies, 67% of them are committed by black males. How about blacks are 8 times more likely to commit robbery than whites. I could go on and on, and I'm not stating an opinion. So when TUS walks into a convenience store with his black buddy as an experiment, and the clerk looks at the black man a little more suspiciously, are you really surprised? Is that racism and profiling, or is that just being aware of what's going on in the world? But you guys give us white privilege. Huh? A convenience store about a mile from me has been robbed four times in the last year and a half. I live in a mixed neighborhood, but all of the perpetrators were black males. So please tell me that the people who work there, who are all black, should look at a white person who has never robbed them with equal suspicion. Try telling me that with a straight face. Maybe a police officer whose life is at risk every day should ignore all of the statistics? Black people are the biggest victims of these crimes. Maybe we should actually be helping them instead of talking this white privilege nonsense that does nobody any good.
Can you please provide links to these numbers? Curious to see where you're getting this information from. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'd just like to look at it myself. People tend to post "facts" but no links to back it up.

Thanks.

Suspect's Reviews

The trick is not minding
I’m not sure how those numbers prove that cops haven’t targeted people of color. I’m sure not all are race related of course, I’m not naive, but how does pointing out the fact that white people are more often killed during a crime (Cops did their job! shocker!) prove that people of color are not racially profiled?
It’s a red herring argument.
But since you guys like figures so much here are some reports:
According to The Guardian's database, in 2016 the rate of fatal police shootings per million was 10.13 for Native Americans, 6.6 for black people, 3.23 for Hispanics; 2.9 for white people and 1.17 for Asians. By total, police more frequently killed whites than any other race or ethnicity.As a percentage of the U.S. population, however, black Americans were 2.5 times more likely than whites to be killed by the police in 2015.A 2015 study found that unarmed blacks were 3.49 times more likely to be shot by police than were unarmed whites.Another study published in 2016 concluded that the mortality rate of legal interventions among black and Hispanic people was 2.8 and 1.7 times higher than that among white people. Another 2015 study concluded that black people were 2.8 times more likely to be killed by police than whites. They also concluded that black people were more likely to be unarmed than white people who were in turn more likely to be unarmed than Hispanic people shot by the police.A 2018 study in the*American Journal of Public Health*found the mortality rate by police per 100,000 was 1.9 to 2.4 for black men, 0.8 to 1.2 for Hispanic men and 0.6 to 0.7 for white men.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...hootings-2019/

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ta-table-6.xls

1st link Washington Post keeps track of police killings, admittedly an estimate but I'd imagine pretty close. 2nd link is to FBI homicide stats of 2017. Couldn't find more recent.

Post wouldn't let me get 2017 stats without subscribing by 986 were killed by police that year 991 in 2018 so the numbers are almost dead even. 226 blacks were killed by police in 2018, I'll round up even for 2017 and give it 300. In 2017 2,627 out of 2,970 blacks were killed by other black and only 264 by whites. So you basically had 9 times greater chance to be killed by another black person if you were black in 2017 than a cop. Plus if you count justifiable force for police killings the numbers drops lower.

If you combined blacks AND Hispanics killed by police in 2018 and 2019 it doesn't equal the number of whites in the same time frame according to the Post's numbers.

Floyd's killing was god awful. But the narrative has been bought and sold by America and the world through the media/social media. Racism sells. I am all for some police reform, law reform and other ways to help brothers and sisters in America but this racist America thing sucks to me. Racism is a factor but I think in 2020 the bigger problem is class and unfortunately African Americans are disproportionaly lower class. But class protest like Occupy Wall Street doesn't sell as well as race protests do.

Hopefully we can come out of all this crap better for it but I am not optimistic.
Agree that Racism sells, its why 2 Atlanta PD officers have been charged with murder.

The Media: "Another poor black man gunned down by white cops, he was just trying to sleep in his car".

The Reality: "Drink driving p.o.s selfishly puts other road users at risk then gets physical with Police who treat him very fairly and suicides himself by Cop"

I'm not saying racism doesn't exist or that America doesn't have a big racism problem, or that there isn't a racism problem within the Police, which there clearly is but lots of incidents have nothing to do with race, and I think George Floyd was one of them. It was an aggressive thug with a badge who should have been fired years earlier, and was possibly taking out a personal vendetta against Floyd. Derek Chavin is married to an asian woman too which makes racism less likely a factor.

Can you please provide links to these numbers? Curious to see where you're getting this information from. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'd just like to look at it myself. People tend to post "facts" but no links to back it up.

Thanks.
I think that was from Wiki. I wouldn't take them as perfect fact either, but that's the general ballpark.

I’m not sure how those numbers prove that cops haven’t targeted people of color. I’m sure not all are race related of course, I’m not naive, but how does pointing out the fact that white people are more often killed during a crime (Cops did their job! shocker!) prove that people of color are not racially profiled?
It’s a red herring argument.
I'm not saying it isn't happening, I'm saying it is. I'm just saying it's happening because of the crime statistics, not simply because they have dark skin. That leads to the numbers you posted below.

But since you guys like figures so much here are some reports:
According to The Guardian's database, in 2016 the rate of fatal police shootings per million was 10.13 for Native Americans, 6.6 for black people, 3.23 for Hispanics; 2.9 for white people and 1.17 for Asians. By total, police more frequently killed whites than any other race or ethnicity.As a percentage of the U.S. population, however, black Americans were 2.5 times more likely than whites to be killed by the police in 2015.A 2015 study found that unarmed blacks were 3.49 times more likely to be shot by police than were unarmed whites.Another study published in 2016 concluded that the mortality rate of legal interventions among black and Hispanic people was 2.8 and 1.7 times higher than that among white people. Another 2015 study concluded that black people were 2.8 times more likely to be killed by police than whites. They also concluded that black people were more likely to be unarmed than white people who were in turn more likely to be unarmed than Hispanic people shot by the police.A 2018 study in the*American Journal of Public Health*found the mortality rate by police per 100,000 was 1.9 to 2.4 for black men, 0.8 to 1.2 for Hispanic men and 0.6 to 0.7 for white men.
So let's help the black community with the problems within their own community, and that will improve how they are perceived. It's the problem and reality of group identity.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/Publicatio....aspx?ID=96748

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/VIOCRM.PDF

https://www.splcenter.org/20180614/b...ck-white-crime

For statistic nerds.

Lets not ignore the facts to posit sensationalist myths. You are far more likely to be murdered or robbed by someone you know from your own race than a random person from a different race.
You don't need links or stats to know that's true. Most people are mostly around others of their own race so all interaction is more likely. That means crime or relationships or whatever. It also proves my point because the mistrust of blacks manifests itself more in the black community itself. I deliver in all types of neighborhoods to liquor stores and convenience stores. When I deliver to a white neighborhood, the clerk will walk right into the back room with me to show me where they want their stuff, even if there are customers in there. When I deliver to a black neighborhood, they all have those metal grates to protect their business, bars over the windows, more cameras, they are armed, and they won't leave the counter for even a second without locking the door. These clerks and owners are black so it's not racism, and it's black people who are mostly victims. It's not 100% because there are bad white neighborhoods and good black neighborhoods, but it is the norm.

I don't know. If you just google crime rates in America by race it should come up, along with many other sites. You will find some stats that are misleading, for instance, 13% of the population commits 50% of the homicides. That is misleading because the vast majority are committed by men, which makes it closer to 7%.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I don't know. If you just google crime rates in America by race it should come up, along with many other sites. You will find some stats that are misleading, for instance, 13% of the population commits 50% of the homicides. That is misleading because the vast majority are committed by men, which makes it closer to 7%.

I don't know man. I'm not in the habit of doing other people's research. You threw out a bunch of stats so I asked you to back it up.