Rioting in the U.S.

Tools    

Just because white privilege is a sorry excuse for the complexity of the issue and was made up it doesn’t change the fact that this world ain’t equal or just. And America is so diverse and young that some places don’t have to deal with the complexities because of demographics.
I appreciate this post. I just believe we are a little different as to cause. People regardless of color are equal but will never be treated the same, because we are not all the same. I think most of the old school racism is dying off. American born blacks are treated much differently by police than black immigrants. That obviously isn't because of skin color. It's because of the violent culture of a few. Leave white people out of it and not all black people are treated equally by police. This is reality, and I'm not saying it's completely the fault of the American born black community but how do we fix the problem if that doesn't change?

We've gone on holiday by mistake
There was a big post on Reddit about the Atlanta shooting. It appears to be a legitimate shooting, which a corrupt DA has decided is murder to save his fledgling re election campaign.

-The dead guy was passed out in his car in the drive thru lane.
-To be clear he wasn't sleeping in his car as reports suggested, he was passed out in a drunken stupor, in the drive thru lane, other customers had to drive around him.
-The above meant that he drove there drunk.
-The Police on the tape are extremely patient, not the usual overbearing abusive officers that we see in bad clips. One redditor said if you ever wanted 2 balanced and fair officers it would be these guys. Kudos to body cameras being used, they'll probably save the officers.
-So after a long discussion, breathalyzer was used and guy was over the limit.
-Officers told the guy he would have to be arrested.
-That's when all hell broke loose and the guy went crazy.
-He was physical and grabbed a taser in the struggle.
-Ran away and pointed taser at Officer at which point the shooting occurred.

I didn't watch the clip myself but those are the rough cliff notes.

Maybe don't drink drive for a start, then get physical with officers after they've given you a very fair shake and grab their weapons.

I don't see a jury convicting these guys at all. In fact the DA should face charges.

You ready? You look ready.
We are all the same in that we just want to be happy, healthy, and safe. So we should at least expect the same treatment when it comes to our happiness, health, and safety.

But I agree we are all not the same. Some people have too much money and can buy their way out of most ****ups: that ain't right. And some people are so poor they can't even make a few hundred bucks bail for a non-violent offense so they spend months behind bars on an accusation: that ain't right.

We gotta start by eliminating the billionaires, super PACs, and labor unions. And I will always say start with the billionaires.

There was a big post on Reddit about the Atlanta shooting. It appears to be a legitimate shooting, which a corrupt DA has decided is murder to save his fledgling re election campaign.
Shooting someone in the back is NEVER a legitimate shooting. It's the greatest mark of a coward.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

It was absolutely a legitimate shooting because while running he turned around and pointed. They didn't know what he was pointing. It could've been a gun that he had, or a gun that he got from one of the officers in the struggle. That doesn't mean he deserved it or that it wasn't a tragedy.

The minute you are talking about other people's money, you are on the wrong path. Don't be jealous, mind your own business, and make your own way in life. Opportunity is there.

In the video, it definitely looks like a legitimate shooting to me.

I've also seen people mentioning that the DA who now calls this murder because the cop was never in danger did some time ago, regarding another case, say that tasers are considered lethal weapons under Georgia legislation. To me, it seems that the DA is doing politics with lives of one dead crook and a police officer. He's giving in to the mob's demands for potential profit. If anyone should be prosecuted here, it's the DA (and obviously the mob that burned down Wendy's).

Personally, I think that the only reasonable thing a cop can do these days in the US is to resign. It's no job for a sane person at the moment. Let the people see how well their country fares without law enforcement.

I don't see a jury convicting these guys at all. In fact the DA should face charges.
In the current political situation, I wouldn't be so sure.

We are all the same in that we just want to be happy, healthy, and safe. So we should at least expect the same treatment when it comes to our happiness, health, and safety.

But I agree we are all not the same. Some people have too much money and can buy their way out of most ****ups: that ain't right. And some people are so poor they can't even make a few hundred bucks bail for a non-violent offense so they spend months behind bars on an accusation: that ain't right.

We gotta start by eliminating the billionaires, super PACs, and labor unions. And I will always say start with the billionaires.

Shooting someone in the back is NEVER a legitimate shooting. It's the greatest mark of a coward.
I mean I haven't watched, it but the guy is moving away from the Officers but is turned around aiming a taser at the Officers head when he's shot. If that's how it did go down (I'll watch myself after work), then looks like a clean shoot to me.

Running away isn't a shooting matter and I've seen those disgraceful videos where someone is shot in that manner. Those cops were abominations. Running away pointing a taser at an Officer though....

Shooting someone in the back if they're are pointing a weapon at you is absolutely a legitimate shhoting.

I don't see it either. Manslaughter maybe, but not murder.
I'll be amazed if they even lose their jobs. Clean shoot imo. Should be back working.

In the current political situation, I wouldn't be so sure.
American juries don't have the best record in the big cases.

You ready? You look ready.
I mean I haven't watched, it but the guy is moving away from the Officers but is turned around aiming a taser at the Officers head when he's shot. If that's how it did go down (I'll watch myself after work), then looks like a clean shoot to me.

Running away isn't a shooting matter and I've seen those disgraceful videos where someone is shot in that manner. Those cops were abominations. Running away pointing a taser at an Officer though....

Shooting someone in the back if they're are pointing a weapon at you is absolutely a legitimate shhoting.
Two shots to the back. Tasers are less-lethal. Murder.

Police can't have it both ways. Either a taser is a less-lethal weapon, which means this event was murder, or it's a lethal weapon and needs to be used with the same restraint as a firearm. I don't see police exercising restraint when they tase people willy nilly these days (just look at those two college students who got taser and forcible pulled from their car for no reason). Tasers doesn't magically become more lethal just because a black dude is holding it.

What you're discounting is that it was dark and it happened very quickly after he wrestled with both officers. It could have been a gun that he was holding and aiming. A taser is much less lethal than a gun, but it is still potentially lethal. It's a big difference in general, but the results can potentially be the same. This is an open and shut case.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Regardless of if it was clean kill or not, how the entire department is handling it is irresponsible. Not answering 911 calls? Serve and Protect is a joke.

Regardless of if it was clean kill or not, how the entire department is handling it is irresponsible. Not answering 911 calls? Serve and Protect is a joke.
Agreed. Why did the Atlanta Police Chief resign after the shooting?

I do share some similar feeling, but we have to try to see it through their eyes. The job is dangerous as it is, but now you can be charged with murder for doing the job and doing nothing wrong? I really can't blame them.

Two shots to the back. Tasers are less-lethal. Murder.

Police can't have it both ways. Either a taser is a less-lethal weapon, which means this event was murder, or it's a lethal weapon and needs to be used with the same restraint as a firearm. I don't see police exercising restraint when they tase people willy nilly these days (just look at those two college students who got taser and forcible pulled from their car for no reason). Tasers doesn't magically become more lethal just because a black dude is holding it.
I disagree, I'm giving the Police a pass here and I've been very critical of them for years. Who is to say what would be the aftermath of allowing Police to be tasered?

This guy made 3 bad decisions that cost him his life.

1. Drink driving risking the lives of others.
2. Resisting a completely justified arrest and becoming physical, stealing a Police weapon in the process.
3. Pointing a weapon at Police.

I mean it's a slippery slope, what weapon do you allow Police to be attacked by before they can lethally retaliate. If they are allowed to be incapacitated, they could have their weapon stolen?

Bats? Knives? Tasers ? Cars?

How about you don't attack Police?

The trick is not minding
That's an interesting way to see it. I have a hard time seeing a black man debunking white privilege being chalked up to personal experience. I'd be more interested in what you specifically disagree with him about. Society has most definitely treated black people not as well, but can we really say it means white people are privileged? What happens if we achieve true equality, are black people now privileged as well? I would simply say that white people are more or less treated fairly, and that we all need to build up the black community. And really examine all of the examples you see of "while privilege". Are they really privileges, and if so couldn't they be chalked up to economic or majority privilege? Never mind that judging by skin color is supposed to be the exact thing that we're fighting against. It's a very dangerous thing, and going back in world history it's the kind of ideology that has resulted in the death of millions, and it's the type of thing that could start a race war. On the other hand, what is the potential positive in pushing the white privilege narrative? The BLM thing is similar, and you can't blame people for thinking they're a racist organization when they hold a big meeting but don't allow white people. To me that's the definition of racism. How about we just leave skin color, which I'd call meaningless, out of the equation entirely, except when there's evidence of it being a factor? Things are getting worse, not better, and I believe that continues so long as we continue to make skin color such a huge factor. Police brutality against blacks should not be a social justice issue. Police brutality and racism should be 2 separate issues. They can be connected, but then you could connect racism to any other issue. These are not problems that can be solved by making them one and the same.
One persons experience, even if a person of color, does not debunk white privilege.
It all comes down to the meaning of white privilege. I’m not sure you completely understand it. Please don’t take that as a slight.
I’ll highlight this quote “ Society has most definitely treated black people not as well,”.
Yes, they haven’t been. And you acknowledging that is part of recognizing white privilege. I’ve seen it first hand when I worked for Walmart many year ago. Two black guys walk in the store and they are followed by security because they look look “suspicious”. Never mind The fact they didn’t do anything to warrant said suspicion.
How often are white people treated the same due to the color of their skin? And that’s the key there. *That when a person of color won’t be treated the same as I would in a similar situation.
The economic or majority privilege you speak of is a result of that, and this results in white privilege. It’s tied into it.
As for the last statement, if indeed a cop shooting is based in racism then he should be prosecuted as such. Now, I’m not going to say they all are. That’s hard to judge without knowing the cops background. Evidence can be discovered to back that up, of course.
Let’s be honest here though, a large number of people of color have been straight up murdered by cops lately.
In similar situations, white people have not been treated the same way at the same rate. Now, I acknowledge there have been a few examples where cops have as shot white people as well For similar situations, but it’s no where near the same the rate as people of color. If color is indeed a factor, they are indeed one and the same.
“ Things are getting worse, not better, and I believe that continues so long as we continue to make skin color such a huge factor”
This is the most correct statement you have made. But maybe not how you intended. It will always be a huge factor, and will continue to be when you have hate groups sprouting up like the KKK. As long as there is racial profiling (an actual thing that’s been admitted to). COINTELPRO from the 1960’s and 1970’s. Look at those and tell me that skin color hasn’t already been made an issue. And when you look closer at it, you’ll understand why they feel the need to have closed door BLM meetings to people of color only before giving it a rather weak and simple description of “definition of racism”.

I didn't watch the clip myself but those are the rough cliff notes.
Without seeing the actual tape, how on earth can you post 9 “cliff notes” as you call them? Based on what exactly?

I mean I haven't watched, it but the guy is moving away from the Officers but is turned around aiming a taser at the Officers head when he's shot.
Again, comments on a tape you haven’t seen.

Without seeing the actual tape, how on earth can you post 9 “cliff notes” as you call them? Based on what exactly?

Again, comments on a tape you haven’t seen.
I did say I read quite an in depth Reddit post about it in the original post.