Movies That Show the Bad Side of Big Cities

Tools    

Movies that show the worst aspects of a large city like New York.
Taxi Driver, Seven and Midnight Cowboy are my first thoughts.
They don’t aim at that specific point, but is unequivocal.
Recommend me others.

Mike's Murder (1984) Starring the talented Debra Winger, it shows the seamy side of L.A. I was living there at the time, and the film was captivating. Presumably they fooled around too much with the re-editing.

~Doc

Honestly though if you look at films which have some kind of judgement of a big city environment in them I'd say the vast majority are negative or at least very mixed.

Positive ones seem rarer to me, maybe Edwards Yang's Yi Yi and Lost in Translation?

Honestly though if you look at films which have some kind of judgement of a big city environment in them I'd say the vast majority are negative or at least very mixed.

Positive ones seem rarer to me, maybe Edwards Yang's Yi Yi and Lost in Translation?
Then there's always Woody Allen's Manhattan... Not to mention Stanley Donen's On the Town.

Naked
Falling Down
Eyes Wide Shut
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

The Movie City of Hope is not about a huge city like New York City. but it does show how politics in a larger city work. City of Hope is by John Sayles. Very hard to find

The neon
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

The Movie City of Hope is not about a huge city like New York City. but it does show how politics in a larger city work. City of Hope is by John Sayles. Very hard to find
John Sayles' City of Hope used to be hard to find in the VHS/DVD days. It is currently available for streaming on Amazon Prime Video.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra