MoFo Fantasy Baseball - 2020 Signups

Tools    

Hello, all! Happy 2020! I'm glad to be back after a disappointing 2019 in both of my leagues.

I got the 8th pick, which I'm pretty okay with. I think I've had a top 3 pick for most of the last several years, so it's nice to change things up. Not sure if I think any of the spots are much better than the others, apart from maybe 1st, since I think Trout is still markedly the best ballplayer.

Regarding stats: I'm against removing holds, outright, because I think baseball really highly values relievers right now and holds is a good way to signify that these 7th and 8th inning guys are really important. I'm similarly against merging to saves+holds, because it makes our rules devalue relievers, while real baseball is clearly moving in the opposite direction.

For sake of discussion, I've played "home runs allowed" for pitchers and hated it. Even though some pitchers have tendencies to give up home runs, the stat still felt pretty random and duplicative. I've never done K/BB, but maybe that would be okay if done in tandem with merging to "Saves + Holds." Are there any other pitching stat options that look interesting?

For hitting, I'd propose switching OBP to OPS (on-base plus slugging) or, alternatively, switching AVG and SLG, so we'd play with OBP and SLG.

Here's the list of stats: https://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo...tat_categories

Another pitching idea could be merge to saves + holds, add in "relief appearances"? That would reward managers to have relievers that are used a lot, and not punish managers when their relievers come into the game in a tie (where a save or hold isn't possible). An argument against that combo might be that "Saves + Holds" and "Relief Appearances" are too redundant?

Another one to consider is "Inherited Runners Scored," but that feels a bit off to me. The opposite, "Inherited Runners Stranded," seems more fair, but isn't available. It's the right idea, but the former seems like it would work against top relievers who often have to come into games in the toughest situations (e.g. runners on second and third, nobody out).

I think I'm against dropping holds. Only because what's been discussed doesn't really sound better to me so far. I'm down to try new things tho so if I get out voted I will roll with it.

Holds have the exact same rules as Saves except they don't have to come at the end of games, so in that sense they require less in the way of circumstances. It's more about manager use, but they more than make up for the predictability of closer usage with the frequency with which they change closers.

Anyway, sounds like there's no clear consensus on alternatives, so I guess we'll stick with what we've got.

Doing another mock draft and noticed that the Houston Astros offense of players haven't really dropped down in the rankings or average pick placements because of the sign stealing no longer going to be available to them. Curious if we're going to see a serious decline in their Runs now.

Voice text, meh.

Doing another mock draft and noticed that the Houston Astros offense of players haven't really dropped down in the rankings or average pick placements because of the sign stealing no longer going to be available to them. Curious if we're going to see a serious decline in their Runs now.

Voice text, meh.
I really have no idea how much, if at all, the Astros hitters are going to decline. That's maybe the biggest x-factor in my valuations this year.

They're also getting hit by a heck of a lot of pitches in spring training. Not sure how much that will carry into the regular season, but this is an OBP league....

At this point I have no idea who my first round pick is gonna be. I get a different guy every draft. I had Alonso fall to me at 35 yesterday for my third pick. Even tho its a mock I was all, yeah!!! Felt like I won something!

Make Believe Registered User
I personally dont like the holds category. I would be for the removal or the change to saves+holds. I do like QS instead of Wins and i would be game for trying OPS, i hate that we have Avg and OBP.

EXCITED FOR DA DRAFT!

Make Believe Registered User
Do we have an inning minimum? I have heard alot of chatter about the Marmol draft cheat going around. If we dont can we institute a min, I like doing an actual draft and not a stupid method to win.

Do we have an inning minimum? I have heard alot of chatter about the Marmol draft cheat going around. If we dont can we institute a min, I like doing an actual draft and not a stupid method to win.
I actually never thought about this before, but without a minimum, you could just have a reliever throw one clean inning, have an ERA and WHIP of 0.00, come in last in the other 4 pitcher categories, and get 28 out of a possible 72 points.

That said, our first place team normally gets about 100 pts, so you'd need to be about perfect on offense to make it work.

If there's an option for a minimum, can we just set it to like 50 or 100 innings?

I don't see an option for an inning minimum, no, though I think as Tim points out it'd be incredibly hard to make work, which I guess would stop it from being an easy/cheaty way to win.

If I see an option for it I'll implement it, but I'm also fine just saying that we won't consider any team the winner if they don't have, I dunno, 500 innings.

Draft is tomorrow.

I'd tag everyone again but I'm not sure I've ever seen a correlation between how much I remind people and how many people forget, so good luck.

Dan and Tim and I are probably doing a video chat during the draft, which we did last year. On the off chance anyone's interested let us know and we can probably hook things up.

Dan and Tim and I are probably doing a video chat during the draft, which we did last year. On the off chance anyone's interested let us know and we can probably hook things up.
Any chance you could record it and post it here? I'd love to watch it after but dont want to be distracted by it during. When drafting I'm all nerves.

I'm not sure how to do that, it's just in Google Hangouts, so anyone with Gmail can do it I guess.

It'd also be pretty boring to watch later, we just sorta chat idly. If there's an easy way I'll suggest it but I don't think there is.