Woody Allen's Irrational Man

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
After making movies for over forty years, it's good to see Woody Allen try out something completely different with the tale of a middle-aged, extremely neurotic creative type who falls for someone considerably younger than himself.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
This looks worse than Allen's recent usual, which isn't very good to begin with. I still can't help but see Joaquin Phoenix as Joaquin Phoenix in every role he's in, even here when he's playing Woody Allen. That's not necessarily a bad quality, John Wayne is always John Wayne, but I don't like it on Phoenix

This looks worse than Allen's recent usual, which isn't very good to begin with. I still can't help but see Joaquin Phoenix as Joaquin Phoenix in every role he's in, even here when he's playing Woody Allen. That's not necessarily a bad quality, John Wayne is always John Wayne, but I don't like it on Phoenix
What do you think are the qualities that are lacking in his films nowadays compared to his older (better) films?

Doesn't look particularly exciting to me either. I know people here love Phoenix and I think he's great in some roles, but I don't think he looks anything great here either, usual story/characters + his recent yellow tint. I'll give it a go but I didn't like Blue Jasmine that much. I'm not one of these people who hates Allen, I actually like him and some of his films a lot

That's the film I'm most anticipating this year. One of my favorite director doing a movie with a main character that is a philosophy teacher (which is my future job I hope) Phoenix is a very good actor, I can't wait for it.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
What do you think are the qualities that are lacking in his films nowadays compared to his older (better) films?
I think that before, Allen was coming to terms with and being sentimental about his narcissism. He seems now to be indulging in it and justifying it. I've also never been a fan of the class politics in Allen's films, and that has heightened through the years, Blue Jasmine was particularly poor in this way (which I think was his worst film in some time). My favorite Allen film has always been Crimes and Misdemeanors which, though it also showcases Allen's fear and contempt for the lower class, brands itself as a film about privilege.

His recent films also have the look of a polished TV movie rather than a filmmaker who's been working for decades. I don't think he's progressed stylistically in decades