A Thought (Maybe More Of An Opinion)

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus isn't a sci-fi film.
. You know what I mean.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

You can have the same argument for horror though, it's shooting itself in the foot by rehashing and watering down itself to make a dollar.
Only if we lump them all together for some reason. There's no reason the latest Saw cash grab should taint better horror films. This is only a problem insofar as people generalize about entire genres, rather than take the time to distinguish good from bad.

Anyway, there are tons of crappy little dramas and character studies, too, but they still don't receive the sort of broad condemnation that some of these other genres do, I don't think.

Originally Posted by Arthur C. Clarke
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Originally Posted by Larry Niven
Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology.
Sci-fi and fantasy lay between these planes. "Realistic" fiction presupposes the common-sense, everyday surface logic of our world. Sci-fi and fantasy either create their own rules, which are then taken to be the rules, or extend the underlying physical rules that actually govern our world INTO the familiarity of an everyday surface logic.

Horror plays on our fears and the unfamiliar. It creates new rules and extends underlying physical laws but does not attempt to make them familiar. Rather, it plays on how obtrusive these things really are to our accepted symbolic order.

While you can spend a lot of money on a sci-fi film and maybe some of the most expensive movies are sci-fi, that doesn't contradict sci-fi movies as a rule being low budget. Those ones you mention are exceptions to the rule. Pound per pound as far as the sum total of sci-fi productions put out, they tend to be low budget. Avatar, while technically was sci-fi was more "hollywood" in my opinion than anything else. Not particularly deep and not particularly interesting. I don't think knit-picking someones post is worth the effort tbh. If you agree with the gist of what someone says, why waste your time arguing a petty point?

I would also like to add that sci-fi movies generally need to contribute more funds to the set since a lot of titles need sets that don't occur naturally and/or are not used as frequently. Therefore, they probably have less money left over for everything else, actors included lol.