A Thought (Maybe More Of An Opinion)

Tools    

People often disrespect fantasy and science fiction for various reasons. I think this to be unwise. Really, science fiction and fantasy are the only genres of T.V., movies and literature with an imagination. All other genres are realistic, but unimaginative. Movies, T.V. and literature are the most powerful ways of telling stories. I would like for these stories to be imaginative, not so homogenous.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Good science fiction is a speculative and creative way of looking at what our lives might be like in the future. When movies are done well, they're awesome, when lame, they're laughable, like any other genre.

(although I do get a little peeved when I hear Rollerball described as "Sonny Corleone on roller skates")

(although I do get a little peeved when I hear Rollerball described as "Sonny Corleone on roller skates")
I've never heard that, but if I did, I think I'd disown that person immediately.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
LOL HK, I heartily agree. 2 of the villians include: Gilbert Gottfried as well as "Joey" in Killer: Autobiography of a Mafia Hitman By Joey, one of my favorite books as a child.

I have much more tolerance for shortcomings in sci-fi movies because I respect the fact that the creator usually has some higher standard that he/she is trying to convey which I think is really the true nature of sci-fi. I can forgive cheap sets, poor acting and even bad editing when it comes to sci-fi since I think sci-fi movies don't usually have as much funds as a rule. The only thing that I feel is really important in sci-fi is the story line/writing. Anything beyond the writing my mind can fill in the gaps and ignore the imperfections. As long as I can grasp the theme or the dream that the creator had in mind, I can get into the mode and lose myself in the movie.

Please explain the bigger meaning with the scifi/fantasy films from your Top 10.
I meant my original post in this thread is about a lot more than my favorite movies.

I do deeply love science fiction and fantasy. However, there is some sci-fi and fantasy that I do not like. Even the sci-fi and fantasy that I do not like is more imaginative and thinks further outside the box than nearly everything else.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
So can you elaborate on who misunderstands this stuff and why? The only people I know of who don't like sci-fi/fantasy are old people.
Please, explain "old people."

Of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy films I've seen, I would say that YES, they DO offer an imaginative view of the future or an alternate reality. However, the problems come in when their view is of a present time or "not too distant future" that is too far-fetched.

When it's done right, it's beautiful, it's thought provoking. When it's done terribly bad, it's laughable (as it has already been stated) and it's why the genre is the red-headed step-child.

Granted, not every movie that will come out is 4-star material, in any genre, mind you. However, when you know (by the title alone) that the yarn you're spinning is pure garbage (Super Gator, Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus, etc.), you should take a step back and wonder if you're doing more harm to an already damaged genre, or padding it down with more cash-cow opportunities.

Spoof movies, for example, have taken a severe thrashing from all of the Scary Movies, Date Movies, Anything By The Wayans' Movies, that we probably will NEVER get another spoof movie, that is on par with, say Airplane.

So, to recap, I basically stated that the genre is killing itself.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Welcome to the human race...
I have much more tolerance for shortcomings in sci-fi movies because I respect the fact that the creator usually has some higher standard that he/she is trying to convey which I think is really the true nature of sci-fi. I can forgive cheap sets, poor acting and even bad editing when it comes to sci-fi since I think sci-fi movies don't usually have as much funds as a rule. The only thing that I feel is really important in sci-fi is the story line/writing. Anything beyond the writing my mind can fill in the gaps and ignore the imperfections. As long as I can grasp the theme or the dream that the creator had in mind, I can get into the mode and lose myself in the movie.
I don't know if low budgets are necessarily a "rule" when it comes to science-fiction, considering how many of the most expensive films ever made are classified as sci-fi/fantasy in some capacity. Your comment also makes me wonder what you thought of Avatar.

I'm not sure if this is precisely what AdamKane is referring to, but I do know some fellow movie lovers who simply can't get past the disconnect between fantasy films (and some sci-fi films) and reality. These are smart people whose opinion I respect, who just can't bring themselves to care about something so patently fake in this particular area. I don't know if it's based in very early preconceptions growing up about these things being for geeks, or just seeming goofier, or what, but I've seen it a few times and I can never relate to it.

And, obviously, you don't have to look at the rolls of nominees for major awards to see that both genres get a little shortchanged. It takes a truly exceptional film in either genre to receive that kind of recognition.

Welcome to the human race...
Besides, no matter how little respect science-fiction and fantasy may get, they're still held in a generally higher regard than horror.