Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

I definitely second "There Will Be Blood" and this just in today after viewing..."The Killer Inside Me"

Twilight
The Devil Wears Prada
Nine
The Matrix
i dont think the matrix is overrated.

I do. In fact, I'd say it was the only overrated film on that list, as the rest aren't really rated, are they? Just popular and, in the case of Nine, not even that.

I definitely second "There Will Be Blood" and this just in today after viewing..."The Killer Inside Me"
There Will Be Blood? Whatever man, that is a fine film and deserves it's success. PT Anderson's masterpiece IMO.

The Killer Inside Me isn't really overrated is it? It wasn't a critical success or anything, and it definitely wasn't a box office champion. Don't even know why you mention it...

My vote goes for Juno. That movie had some of the worst dialouge in the world. No one talks like that.

The Killer Inside Me should be in an underrated movies thread. It's still easily in my top 3 films released this year.

Twilight
The Devil Wears Prada
Nine
The Matrix

I see a lot of people say they either didn't like Avatar or that it didn't live up to the hype. I personally enjoyed it although it seemed to be a knock off of an older animated movie Fern Gully despite Cameron saying this was a life long dream of his to make this movie. I would definately agree with the rest of the list. I like The Matrix but think it was made out to be greater then it was.

Titanic and Avatar...I haven't seen Avatar but I've seen Plinket's review and that's enough for me.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Somtimes a film that wins Best Picture Oscar. Chicago anyone?

Anything starring Johnny Depp (Blockbusters I mean, I really liked Ed Wood and Secret Window). Hes mostly selling out these days but no one seems to notice. I also third There Will Be Blood. Just because a movie smells like its got depth doesnt mean its really there.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Can you please be more specific on what sell-out titles you mean (aside from Pirates movies)?

Well I was mostly referring to the Pirates movies but isnt that enough?
Lets see... Alice in Wonderland? And what was the name of that awful gangster movie he was in recently?

Johnny depp is now an expensive actor... the only movies that can afford him are the ones that appeal to the masses.

& I wouldn't call him a sellout, he just got famous & doing really really well for himself..

If you are an expensive actor, that means you are in demand. If you are in demand that means you can either choose roles that you find personally gratifying or you can "sell out" and star in something just for a paycheck. Johnny Depp could work for free and never have to worry. Thats my whole point.

Sellout is when an arist goes out of his way just to please himself financially not keeping in mind his already established image & creativity.

Depp still manages to fascinate everyone with his performances, he is usually the only good thing about his movies.. He is the guy that sold the POTC movies.

I don't see what Depp has sold himself to according to you?

Have you even watched the Pirates movies? There are two possibilities when it comes to the series as far as Depp goes.
1. Johnny Depp is doing these awful (I don't think any serious film buff would dissagree) movies solely for the profit.
2. Johnny Depp is not a good enough actor to see when a role is not respectable.

While I enjoy some of the movies that Johnny Depp stars in, I don't feel that he is a first rate actor. He is what we sometimes refer to as a "stuffed shirt". He is all image and no substance. This is not his fault, it is just a matter of fact so its best not to take it so personally.

I can only assume that my opinion on which movies are over-rated would stir up as much controversy as my list of favorites. This is especially true because the movies I would state as over-rated I absolutely hate. This shall be the only advisory. If you don't like what I say, don't read my post.

The movies I don't like or think are over-rated are:

1. Borat.
2. The Godfather movies.
3. Scarface.
4. The Saw movies. (Although, Saw 6 redeemed itself by having Karen Cliche in it.)
5. Spoofs.
6. Goodfellas.
7. Swingers.
8. The Jurassic Park Movies
9. Pulp Fiction
10. Training Day
12. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
13. Twilight

These movies are in no particular order.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Have you even watched the Pirates movies? There are two possibilities when it comes to the series as far as Depp goes.
1. Johnny Depp is doing these awful (I don't think any serious film buff would dissagree) movies solely for the profit.
2. Johnny Depp is not a good enough actor to see when a role is not respectable.

While I enjoy some of the movies that Johnny Depp stars in, I don't feel that he is a first rate actor. He is what we sometimes refer to as a "stuffed shirt". He is all image and no substance. This is not his fault, it is just a matter of fact so its best not to take it so personally.
This sounds awfully familiar.