Pre-1930s Hall of Fame II

Tools    

𝒫𝓇𝑒-1930𝓈
𝐻𝒶𝓁𝓁 𝑜𝒻 𝐹𝒶𝓂𝑒 II

Same as the last time. Anyone can join. We'll do two noms per person.

The goal is to get some exposure for some great pre-30s films that might hopefully make the upcoming MoFo 1930s Countdown, and as always to have fun!

Members Reviews:

Ahwell - Ballot Sent In,
Completed
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
3 Bad Men
7th Heaven
Battleship Potemkin

Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge
He Who Gets Slapped
It
Laugh, Clown, Laugh
Lonesome
The Doll
The Passion of Joan of Arc

Citizen Rules - Ballot Sent In, Completed
3 Bad Men
7th Heaven
Battleship Potemkin
He Who Gets Slapped
It
Laugh, Clown, Laugh
Lonesome
The Doll

Cricket
- Ballot Sent In, Completed
3 Bad Men
7th Heaven
Battleship Potemkin
He Who Gets Slapped
It
Laugh, Clown, Laugh
Lonesome
The Doll

Edarsenal - Ballot Sent In, Completed
3 Bad Men
7th Heaven
He Who Gets Slapped
It
Laugh, Clown, Laugh
The Battleship Potamkin
The Doll

Nostromo 0/11 Disqualified for non participation

Siddon
- Ballot Sent In, Completed
3 Bad Men
7th Heaven
Battleship Potemkin
He Who Gets Slapped
It
Laugh, Clown, Laugh
Lonesome
The Doll
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.JPG
Views:	836
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	56157  

The noms, so far... and there's still time to join

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)
1h 54min - ahwell

The Battleship Potemkin (1925)
1h 6min - ahwell

Laugh Clown Laugh (1928)
1h 13min - edarsenal

7th Heaven (1927)
1h 50min - edarsenal

3 Bad Men (1926)
2h 2min - cricket

He Who Gets Slapped (1924)
1h 35min - cricket

It (1927)
1h 12min - Citizen Rules

Lonesome (1928)
1h 9min - Citizen Rules

The Doll (1919)
48min - Siddon

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1916)
1h 45min - Siddon

Attachments

Name:	a (4).jpg
Views:	685
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	56176   Click image for larger version

Name:	a (5).jpg
Views:	681
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	56178   Click image for larger version

Name:	a (3).jpg
Views:	681
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	56179   Click image for larger version

Name:	a (8).jpg
Views:	676
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	56181   Click image for larger version

Name:	a (1).jpg
Views:	667
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	56182  

Name:	a (6).jpg
Views:	686
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	56183   Click image for larger version

Name:	a (2).jpg
Views:	694
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	56184   Click image for larger version

Name:	b (1).jpg
Views:	683
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	56199  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
a couple of blind noms since this is the best way to see films I haven't yet and both inspired by the last HoF

Good to see a second one taking place - again I shall sit on the sidelines but like the previous one I will endeavour to follow along and watch the various nominees if I can.

We're still taking movie nominations for awhile longer, so why not join? It's fun watching silent films! and talkies too

Good to see a second one taking place - again I shall sit on the sidelines but like the previous one I will endeavour to follow along and watch the various nominees if I can.
just join!!

Nearly all of them can be found on youtube or dailymotion and there's a third safe site that picks up the remainder.
If ya like, what till the reveal and check, and if it's doable, send CR your noms.
Easy peasy slap yor kneesies

just join!!

Nearly all of them can be found on youtube or dailymotion and there's a third safe site that picks up the remainder.
If ya like, what till the reveal and check, and if it's doable, send CR your noms.
Easy peasy slap yor kneesies
Sadly I can't commit to anything for a few weeks - hopefully got some sizeable work being done on the grounds in the next couple of months which is gonna be both hellish noisy (so not conducive to watching fillums) and possibly take up some of my time in supervising.

Sadly I can't commit to anything for a few weeks - hopefully got some sizeable work being done on the grounds in the next couple of months which is gonna be both hellish noisy (so not conducive to watching fillums) and possibly take up some of my time in supervising.
more than understandable.
Good luck with all of that - hope it goes smoothly and looks great afterwards

@cricket @edarsenal @ahwell
The noms are up and on the second post. Start watching when you want!

@Siddon @rauldc14 and @ anybody else! There's still time to join I'll take nominations for 1 week until July 31st. Most of the movies are really short, like only an hour long so easy to watch.

The deadline will be around October 1st, as the deadline to get your voting list to Chyp for the Pre1930s MoFo Countdown is October 6th. But if anyone needs more time, it's cool. We're mainly just watching some neat silent films and having some fun doing it

Just watched my blind nom Battleship Potemkin and I’ll have review tomorrow... but as of now it will probably be #1 on my Countdown vote.

Battleship and Joan are definitely Must Sees so I'm glad they're here and I was hoping He Who Gets Slapped would get nominated when I went with Laugh, Clown, Laugh.
7th Heaven is the original for the remake I saw with James Stewart and Simone Simon and features the two leading actors from Lucky Star.
Glad to see a Clare Bow in the group and Variety and Lonesome are unknown so it should be a pretty interesting HoF.

Hopefully Siddon and Raul join in with a couple more to round it off nicely.

Already seen Passion, Potemkin, Clown & It in the past few months. Heaven and Lonesome are already both around the top of my 'to do' list (actually very nearly put the former on a couple of days ago) and glad to have another couple to add to that far from tiny list thanks to crick (Variety, Slapped).

Nice set of noms.

Having to watch that scene on the stairs from Battleship Potemkin multiple times for various classes in University really killed all the goodwill I had towards that film haha.

As with the previous pre-30s HoF, I'll be creepily watching the thread from a distance without actually participating.

As with the previous pre-30s HoF, I'll be creepily watching the thread from a distance without actually participating.
Had wondered who that had been peeking over my shoulder these past weeks

Battleship Potemkin

Damn, it must have been hard for those Soviet directors during the Stalin era. Of course they had to have these films about "the people as one" and the "Communists unite" and bla bla bla. So it's all the more remarkable how unique and brilliant Battleship Potemkin is. Who the hell cares about the "message" when you have a film as unique, important, and frankly entertaining as this. I listened to a version with a re-created soundtrack that sounded very faithful to the original, and I think that my have helped a lot too. This was my first time watching Battleship Potemkin ever, including the Odessa Steps scene, so there were no "bad memories from film school" moments. It was a shocking and unique experience. I don't give a damn that it's propaganda as long as a film can connect to me like Battleship Potemkin does.

Siddon and Nostro have joined

Here's the text version of all of the noms.

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) 1h 54min - ahwell
The Battleship Potemkin (1925) 1h 6min- ahwell

Laugh Clown Laugh (1928) 1h 13min - edarsenal
7th Heaven (1927) 1h 50min - edarsenal

Variety (1925) 1h 12min - cricket
He Who Gets Slapped (1924) 1h 35min - cricket

It (1927) 1h 12min - CR
Lonesome (1928) 1h 9min - CR

The Doll (1919) 48min - Siddon
J'accuse (1919) 2h 46min - Siddon

Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge (1924) 2h 9min - Nostromo87