Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Avenger End Game - 8/10

I've had a good run this week:

'Dolls' (2002)

One of Kitano's best. Three interweaving 'folk' stories about love and loss. Incredibly original, beautiful to look at.

'Oasis' (2000)

Such a moving film. So-Ri Moon is unbelievable in this. Her performance ranks among the best I've seen for a long time. It is a very difficult watch but an essential one for anyone who likes Asian cinema, or just great films.

'Gwen' (2019)

A Film from my country so felt obliged to watch it. Glad I did. Some good performances and Maxine Peake settled into her accent as the film went on and Eleanor Worthington-Cox is fine as the titular lead. The film is quite ethereal and dream like. Quite ambiguous. What I noticed though was how good it sounded. The wind and rustling of trees are captured so well....matches the eerie landscape well. Doesn't quite pack a punch that I wanted it to, but a solid watch all the same.

'Mouchette' (1967)

I have a Shameful amount of Bresson knowledge. I did enjoy this though, as bleak as it was. Mouchette is one of the most tragic cinema characters I've seen for a while. The influences are clear here, with me being reminded of films like Vagabond, Rosetta and Lilya-4-Ever. I don't think it's the best new wave movie I've seen but an important one and always good to tick something like this off the list.

'Dancer in the Dark' (2000)

I'm not a fan of musicals, and I possibly wouldn't have watched this if I knew it was a musical, but I'm fond of Bjork's music. I completely loved this movie. It blew me away. Extraordinary, moving, incredible, fantastic. Not enough superlatives to describe it. It's well documented that Bjork had her run ins with von Trier on set, but whatever happened worked in the film sense at least, because she is utterly fantastic. Selma's romantic ambitions to make it in the USA are as delusional as the American dream itself. Perhaps that's why this movie wasn't that well received in America - because it's a thinly veiled criticism on the country and its' psyche. Selma says at one point : "In a musical, nothing dreadful ever happens", well von Trier put that to bed with his bleak but beautiful Dogme style. The way the music numbers appear from the most mundane sounds is nothing short of brilliance. This movie made me feel like I want to feel when I watch movies, then again if they were all like this none would stand out in the crowd. Bjork is perfect, the script is perfect, the direction is perfect.

'Life' (2017)

Looked beautiful. Decent twist. No huge mis-steps in performances. But it's just a recycled monster movie set in space.

The Nun (2018) – 1/10

One of the worst films I've seen in a while. I can't wait to read what everyone else thought.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Kept busy over the last week so here we go:

Purge of Kingdoms (Ara Paiaya, 2019): A Mel Brooks-Monty Python-esque parody of Game of Thrones from Paiaya, who is usually known for his martial arts action films. A nice breakway from his usual shtick, with a nice ensemble cast including Angus MacFadyen, Lou Ferrigno, and Anna Hutchison.

Master Z: Ip Man Legacy (Yuen Woo-Ping, 2018): Great spin-off to Ip Man 3, highlighted by Max Zhang's character and despite some wirework stunts, overall a good effort especially Zhang's throwdowns with Michelle Yeoh (as a benevolent Triad leader who only fights Zhang due to a misunderstanding), Tony Jaa (as a mercenary who used to work with Zhang), and Dave Bautista (as the big bad villain, an American restaurateur who used his business as a cover for drug dealing).

Leo Da Vinci: Mission Mona Lisa (Sergio Manfio, 2019): A fun Italian-made animated film about young inventor Leonardo Da Vinci, who in an effort to win the heart of young Lisa, goes on an adventure to find a treasure with pirates chasing him, Lisa, and two young homeless kids, Niccolo and Agnes. It's a fun film that has elements of The Goonies with a great English voice cast including Johnny Yong Bosch and Bryce Pappenbrook, two veteran English voice actors for Japanese anime as the titular Leo and bestie Lorenzo respectively.

Leprechaun (Mark Jones, 1993): Nothing more can be said...Warwick Davis is freaking great as the titular creature who wants his gold!

The Gate (Tibor Takacs, 1987): Definitely an underrated horror film with the debut of Stephen Dorff as he, sister, and friend attempt to find a way to close the gate of Hell that's in their backyard. One very sick gross-out scene, but I would love a figure version of the demonic minions.

Sometimes They Come Back...Again (Adam Grossman, 1996): A sequel to a made for TV movie, there is only one reason to see this movie: the late Alexis Arquette in the role of the lead villain. She was both charismatic and funny at the same time as a demon from our hero's past, ready to get his own revenge for what happened 30 years ago. Nice inventive deaths including the use of tarot cards as weapons.

Power of Grayskull: The Definitive History of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (Randall Bobb & Robert McCallum, 2019): Excellent documentary about the history of He-Man, from his origins at Mattel to the hit animated series at Filmation to the 1987 live-action film. Great interviews including former Mattel artists, Filmation directors, and Alan Oppenheimer (voice of Skeletor), Dolph Lundgren, Frank Langella, Anthony De Longis, and production designer William Stout. If you're a fan of He-Man, this is a must-see!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Die Brucke - 8.5/10
I wish the battle scenes were trimmed up a bit - I always prefer the non-battle stuff. A lot of purposeless explosions and onomatopoeia.

[quote=ScarletLion;2028626]I've had a good run this week:

'Dolls' (2002)

One of Kitano's best. Three interweaving 'folk' stories about love and loss. Incredibly original, beautiful to look at.

100% agree with this.

1st Re-watch...this movie seemed even funnier than the first time I watched it. Jennifer Aniston and Colin Farrell are the real standouts in the cast...

Vacancy (2007)

Starts out effectively, keeps a decent pace and the two leads are just fine. I liked the pair of them in this. The story gets daft but overall I liked this.

Support The Girls

Don't let the scantily clad waitresses on the poster fool you, this is no fluffy exploitative film. Mainly set over the course of a single day at Whammies, a Texas sports bar, the main focus is on General Manager Lisa dealing with an attempted break-in, personal issue and an unhinged boss, all while acting as a surrogate mother for the waitresses at the bar.

Regina Hall is fantastic, rarely off screen she holds the whole film together and it does dip slightly when the focus moves away from her later in the film. Haley Lu Richardson plays her trusted deputy and lights the screen up whenever she appears with a never-ending supply of optimism with Shayna McHayle providing a more world weary view as Danyelle.

This film was a pleasant surprise as I was expecting more of a comedy but instead got a warm, touching and affecting story of women banding together to support each other as a family and I now can't wait to delve into Regina Kings back catalogue.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

Not a big Tarantino fan, but DiCaprio is one of my favorite actors and Pitt is good in everything. It definitely takes awhile to get going but it's a riot towards the end. It was distracting to see so many shots of people's legs...

mystery train - 1989

jarmusch sense of humor, i laughted the entire movie, so it must be a comedy,
screamin' jay hawkins made my fall asleep a hard task the other night,
i couldn't get out of my head "mosquito legs chimpanzee" hahaha-
he made a wonderful "appearance", since stranger than paradise i'm an eva,
it became one of my favorite voices, he'd be great in cinema as well
many influences, many cultures, many personalities, the normal film by jarmusch,
dark humor, two outsiders visit the city of the king and they see how diminish he'd become
many musicians involved, rufus thomas, joe strummer, tom waits and screamin' jay hawkins
not my jarmusch favorite, i don't really like the king very much, but that's beside the point, i guess

Alec Guiness plays an imprisoned Cardinal, falsely accused of treason. Hawkins is the interrogator trying to coerce a confession. Some fantastic acting by both leads.

Tin Cup

Always enjoyable but I wish Kevin Costner would close his mouth occasionally.. it's like a damn fly catcher

The Nun (2018) – 1/10

One of the worst films I've seen in a while. I can't wait to read what everyone else thought.
I turned it off after 30 minutes and have no thoughts...
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

When Saturday Comes (1996)

Does nothing to disprove the "all sports films are rubbish and especially association football ones" idea but there's a charm and naivete in this that somehow wins through. It's got every ingredient to be garbage but sticks to its task and plays a straight story. Smashing to see Emily Lloyd again too, Local boy made good feel-good stuff.