MovieMeditation’s Diary Reviews // “Come and meditate with me!”

→ in
Tools    

So you're mocking MM for being out of date and yet you're apparently only living in 2004!

I never should've accepted a ride from that weird dude in his DeLorean.

I never should've accepted a ride from that weird dude in his DeLorean.
Yes you definitely should, Spaulding! Or else you would never be here, in this time, on this forum, with all of us!

You died in 1978, remember? Or well, you were supposed to die that year, riding towards some cops like some wanna-be-cool idiot and you got shot to death and sh*t. So I'm glad the DeLorean dude saved ya!

MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
total movie count ........... current day count
24 .......................... 21

January 16th

Birdman (2014)*
N/A

Still working on my full review of this film... I finished the danish version yesterday exclusively for all the danish folks haha! but next I will of course get to the english version, and as I said earlier, it will be up by end of this month in my Cinema Review thread so look out for it!

January 17th

A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)
-

Review from the Horror HoF thread
I have actually had this movie on my watchlist and it has been there for quite some time... Finally I had an opportunity to check it out in this Horror HoF, and usually I love these kinds of horrors as well. For example, I remember the original Japanese Grudge films to be much better and a lot more scary than the remakes. Generally they just know how to create frightening imagery and disturbing frame compositions that works to great effect. So as you can tell I was very excited to see what this one could bring to the table of the foreign horror genre, more specifically, South Korean horror, but really I just slam them all in there in the same category as with the Japanese ones. No racism intended lol.

Major plot spoilers ahead... So the movie opens a little slow if I should say so, but when the girls arrived to the house I began to see the effort that was put into the cinematography and the overall atmosphere. But I have to say something here right off the bat: as soon as the girls went inside and met with their aunt or whatever, and the one girl grabbed the other girls wrist and all, that is exactly where I had already figured the plot out. Anybody else thought this was just too obvious? I was just like "oh, she's dead" and whatever, but really it doesn't matter. If the movie is good it doesn’t need to rely on twists. And actually, throughout the movie it did try to change my opinion back, because of some of the directorial decisions, which I thought was pretty smart. But in the end of it all I thought they were the straight up opposite...

Because, the way all this is handled is quite poor if I should say so. Now, I do think that I got the most of what was happening, but reading through the IMDb reviews I saw many who had their own idea of what was going down, and some who had no idea, and it really seemed like the director and writer got lost in their own little wicked world. Like if they really just "went for it" and wanted to create as much confusion and questions as possible, but in the end the director just lets too much float unanswered in the air. Not in an “open ending and free interpretation” kind of way, but more just lazy in my opinion. And the ghost elements brought nothing new to the table either; apparently Samantha from The Ring had some time off to come star in this movie as well.

The acting was good though, the cinematography really well handled and the actual dialogue seemed well written also. But the story was just one big mess (or at least it ended up like that) and it is a shame since it seemed like a grounded and smaller horror film at first, trying to capture the claustrophobic terror and disturbing and broken relationships between characters and their past. For me the story is simply the key element to a good movie. I just can't help but notice how many flaws it has and how messy it all becomes. It particularly goes miles too far at the end of the film, as far as conclusion goes, where the director just shoves all of what he has left, in there, instead of interweaving it all nicely throughout the film, and in that way build up the tension. I don't want one big draggy epilogue with a bad attempt at concluding the events that happened. It seems lazy to simply deliver it like the director did, and just leave everything to the viewer, eagerly praying that they are blown away to great extent by the "twist(s)" that he will have great success with audience. Nope, doesn't work for me. Sorry.

January 18th

The General (1926)

I love silent comedy films and Charlie Chapin was what mainly introduced me to silent movies of that era. Buster Keaton on the other hand I knew about, but I had actually never seen a film of his before and therefore The General is my very first introduction to his films and comedic style... and how did I just love it! I would never compare Chaplin and Keaton, since they seem to have a completely different comedic and cinematic vibe. I saw similarities at the beginning of the film, but as it progressed I realized just how different they were.

And this film is just so great and feels really ahead of its time. Very big set pieces with the trains and all, but still really grounded as well. It is a great story about love but I liked how he interweaved the war elements in this one and made it both fun and satirical. The comedy is just gold and everlasting as well, I loved all the gags and they were truly inventive. Also, there wasn't a gag just for the sake of jokes, there was a point with it all. Sometimes I thought to myself "well this is a little stupid" but then the point of it all came just after. I will gladly watch this one again someday!

January 19th

Boyhood (2014)*
-

One of my favourite elements about this film is simply the grounded and human feel of it. You can feel the characters and their emotions, you feel the atmosphere, the time period and the human interaction. It is a masterful work and a great accomplishment in cinematic history in my opinion... And since I have reviewed this film before, in a review of which I still stand by, I will simply refer that: so check out my review if you haven't in my Cinema Review thread.

January 20th

Foxcatcher (2014)
+

A very interesting real life story about a great tragic. But I really feel like this movie didn't capture much of it. It felt too open and too stiff to actually capture any real emotion. I love a dramatic "slow burner" once in a while, but for that to succeed it needs either a true underlaying layer of terror, or, a great big pay off in the end. This had a little bit of both but not nearly enough.

I loved the peformances and with this simplistic approach they all really got to shine. The look and feel of it was good, but again I just felt like it was too distanced from any real emotion or understanding with the characters. Mark Ruffalo was really great in it, Channing Tatum was good, and Steve Carell was very intriguing and disturbing to follow but a lot his performance seemed to work because of the prosthetics. Yes, he needed to play the character very subtle and with inner troubles, and he did that tremendously well, but an Oscar nomination? Really? Carell above Gyllenhaal? I don't think so, damn Academy...

I think Steve Carell gives the best performance of the year. I'm not sure how he downplays the character, he's one of the most troubled and genuinely frightening movie villains I can remember in a while.

I think I like Keaton more than Chaplin simply because I'm a lot like Keaton in real life, I think. Of course, you're right - they're different and shouldn't be compared. Both rule.

I think Steve Carell gives the best performance of the year. I'm not sure how he downplays the character, he's one of the most troubled and genuinely frightening movie villains I can remember in a while.
Maybe downplayed was the wrong word, but his performance relies a lot on his subtle movement and consistent stare and mouth movements. It works really well but personally I don't see what he does to be that hard to pull off. The prostectics really helps with his underlaying layer of troubleness but as a performance, I think Andy Serkis could easily be nominated for Ceasar as well if this is what it takes to get nominated.

I actually like his peformance a lot but I may seem to talk negative about it simply because of the fact that I feel it's SO overrated.

I think I like Keaton more than Chaplin simply because I'm a lot like Keaton in real life
How so?

Talking about Buster Keaton, he seriously put himself in danger several times lol. But to great comedic success!

What's the best Buster Keaton movie in your(everybody's) opinion?

Sherlock Jr. gets my vote. Back in the day I might have said Steamboat Bill, Jr. though.

I still haven't seen a Buster Keaton movie, but I'm planning on seeing Sherlock Jr. soon since seeing it recently in Swan's thread.

I may also try Boyhood this coming weekend.

MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
total movie count ........... current day count
28 .......................... 25

January 21st

Toy Story (1995)*

It’s always such a great pleasure to revisit the timeless childhood classics of your youthful years, which will forever be full of joy and amazing memories! But unfortunately, not all of them stand the test of time and growth. Thankfully I can comfortably say, that after watching the first Toy Story and its 1999 sequel at least three or four times in my recent years, they both still hold up as great movies on their own and in this time. I have always been fonder of the second film in the series, but there is no denying that the original is very closely following my favorite entry in the series. It is the one that started it all of course, and the one that has the most down to earth story of them all as well. It is simple, yet so damn effective!

It starts off on a high note with the beautiful introduction to the toy world and the following spy mission of the gifts Andy receives on his birthday. After that we are introduced to Buzz for the first time of which is also extremely well handled. The animation is beautiful, the jokes are inventive and spot on, and as I said it just sets up the film in such a great way. You are instantly in this world of commonly inanimate figures, which are now full of heart and soul. The story following it all is surprisingly grounded and close to the heart, with great themes of togetherness, trust, jealously, self-acceptance and more. Everything it touches upon is handled smoothly and expertly without ever moving away from the smaller story it sets out to be.

Woody and Buzz ends up out in the big human world but to me it never feels extremely big, but more just… human. Mainly because of the center of the story being the strong bond between Andy and the toys. I will expand on that in the review of the sequel. Furthermore that is what makes the bigger finale work so great. You never really expect it, and man is that one intense and emotionally strong finale. Overall I just adore this film, and it is always so fantastic to go back and revisit it over and over again.

January 22nd

Toy Story 2 (1999)*

This film is one of the best sequels ever made in my opinion, and therefore it is always odd and kind of sad to hear it mentioned as the weakest of the series by quite a few, here and there. Yes, it is a childhood favorite of mine, and yes, it probably holds some nostalgia, but I don’t see it take away the true qualities of the film. I have tried to revisit some childhood favorites before, which unfortunately ended falling kind of flat, so it is not always a guarantee to love a past favorite.

But this film still stands strong with me, no matter how many times I watch it. Since it is quite relevant for this review and the entirety of the actual film, I will simply say it right from the start: what makes the sequel superior to the first one, in my opinion, is that it expands and develops on all aspects of which generated quite a lot of curiosity when seeing the first one. It does it in a natural but quite ambitious way, and to my surprise it manages to keep everything balanced and afloat, without ever breaking from the pressure. It references the original film in fun and inventive ways, but it never carries the entire film, and it has so much that is new and bigger, but it never ruins the core of the actual story. It is bigger and more fun and adventurous, which perhaps makes it great in other ways than the original, so which you prefer is not really that important. I always use this slightly odd comparison with the Alien-franchise, since the grounded and more simplistic original is made bigger, and to some extent better, with the more adventurous and action-filled sequel that also develops greatly on its original atmosphere and ideas…

Let’s get back on track, sorry – Right from the fantastic opening sequence with Buzz actually being realized as a true universal galactic hero, which I am sure some were curious about in some way. And we now get to see what “planet Buzz was living on” during the first film and what his past is basically all about when realized. Same goes for Woody, when he is introduced to what kind of character he is, or rather was, and he almost takes on the role that Buzz had in the first one… And in connection to the story, instead of Andy receiving things like he did in the original, he is now giving things away on a yard sale… Woody is kidnapped by this toy collector, which is quite a fine way to expand on the story and universe, since it discusses the opportunity of toys not being meant to be played with, and this creates a whole new perspective on things…

The rescue mission executed with Buzz in the lead is fun and quite adventurous, and this is also where I think it manages to go even bigger but with the character-driven atmosphere still intact. In the original, I felt like Buzz and Woody only quickly touches opon the human world, and somehow it also comes across as less big and dangerous. Besides, we are quickly back in the smaller settings again, at Sid’s house. But in the sequel the toys are truly introduced to the great big world and how dangerous and enormous it actually is. Not only thinking of – the amazing road scene, the huge baggage-travel madness, following the even bigger plane chase and rescue scene – but also the fact that a few cheese puffs spread across the floor suddenly seem extremely big and dangerous. There is truly a lot of talent behind this film, making it all seem so enormous, even the everyday stuff.

The story touches upon some of the same aspects as the first, but it develops on them and creates new ones as well. It is still about togetherness, trust, and so on, but it is fun to see the tables turned a bit this time, with Woody doubting his entire life and with the film now touching upon self-discovery, abandonment and outgrowing the past. It feels natural and fresh even when it reflects on past ideas used in the original… It is just such a fun, big and adventurous ride, which feels so huge and crazy with all your hopes being fulfilled almost at once… We get experience the backstory of Buzz, Woody and some new characters, as well as being introduced to the evil emperor Zurg, an actual toy store, Buzz meeting “himself”, toy collectors, basically the entire world, and so much more!

this is me as a kid with my favourite sweater!
told you I love this movie!

January 23rd

American Sniper (2014)

Surprisingly not as patriotic or laughably heroic as I thought. The action was fine, but I really wanted to see more of his struggles and personal issues. The scene at the bar for example, why wasn't there more of that? But as we know a lot of topics were left out, some of which may put Chris "The Legend" Kyle in a bad light, and we can't have that for a "True American Hero" now can we?

In all seriousness though, it felt like going from point A to point B in a way that was beautifully shot, decently written and really well acted, but it was really missing some edge. Not to sound like a makabre son of a b*tch, but I was eagerly waiting to see the big climax, on how he died in rather unfortunate and unheroic manners. But nope, I guess that's too "unworthy" for him. Felt kind of lame though, to just end with some text on screen. You didn't have to see the actual shot and kill, but maybe just a bit more emotion... especially since I had no emotional connection to the story what so ever. But it was a decent watch overall.

January 24th

Toy Story 3 (2010)*

This is probably the third time watching this, and I must say I have been in doubt for a long time on how to rate this... When it was released it got so much praise and people tend to love it all over the world, even more than the past films. But I just can’t see how you can be a major fan of the two originals and then watching this feeling it is the best one. I can understand it the other way around when experiencing the third one first, but if you really love the series before the third film, this really doesn’t bring much new or interesting stuff to the universe…

I will admit of course that it is still a fun time, we are still together with all of our favorite characters, and it is a natural step in a great and fresh direction to let Andy be too old for his toys and going to college. But to me, much of it feels like “been there done that” as far as execution, because the main idea is pretty great and I see what they wanted to do… Already in connection to the very opening of the third film, with the train and all, it just feels like a lesser version of what the previous sequel already did so fantastically with the realistic take in the Buzz opening – and in shorter time too. This felt like going on for too long and trying too hard, though it is not too bad. And the same goes for the backstory of the Lotso, which is slightly different but still seen before and much better, with the backstory of Jessie in the first sequel, and Buzz being evil is also kind of seen in the first sequel, as is many other things.

Anyways, back on track again: After the opening, then the montage of Andy playing comes on, and I guess that worked fine, at least it triggered some emotions and nostalgia – a fine way to get to the present situation of our characters. Then Woody has to go save toy(s) again, like he did in the first sequel... But anyways, we end up in Sunny Side and that is when it goes flat. The other two in the series are always moving, but when they are at Sunny Side it kind of stays in this mediocre pace, with mediocre and worn-out references, and mediocre jokes and gags with too many characters at once. The side-story with Woody is pretty great though, and the introduction of Bonny is very well handled, as we see just how great she is to play with her toys and in that way helps making the ending perfect.

But to me it isn’t until the movie turns into a prison break mission, that it starts to get interesting. Unfortunately here, and in other places around the film, it relies too much on crazy coincidences and that is kind of a shame. The scene where they go from behind an edge to under a bucket 1 meter away without being spotted, although looked upon the entire time, is a good example of that. But it is pretty fun, though just a shame it all starts an hour into the film… But still it sets up the start of the completely amazing third act, and that is when Toy Story finally feels edgy, ambitious and fresh again! It is so grand, so emotional and so epic that to some people this may make up for what came before it. But I cannot view a movie purely out of content seen in 1/3 of the film, unfortunately. The prison break is pretty fun, the disposal factory scene is amazing, and the actual ending is fitting and almost perfect. But to me it is not a complete film and nostalgia cannot save it…

My problem with the third Toy Story is it rehashes a lot of story elements from the second film and overall it's script isn't that great, and yet it gets a Screenplay nomination at the Oscars. That is the definition of overrated.

In all seriousness though, it felt like going from point A to point B in a way that was beautifully shot, decently written and really well acted,
Isn't this pretty much every Eastwood directed film? That's neither praise nor criticism from me, just how I see them.

I actually was hoping all the way through the film that they didn't show Kyle's death at the end, it would have been easy to include that and for it to be a tear jerker for some, but I'm glad they went down the more respectful, subdued route which with the closing credits, seemed just as powerful to me.