Pre-1930s Hall of Fame

Tools    

Do you realize I was just writing up my review when you sent me that link....

ah well....I got The Man who laughs in the mail today so I'll do that one.
I must be psychic

Did you buy The Man Who Laughs? Or is it from Netflix DVD? I have a version of it, but it has Spanish subs, but I don't speak Spanish unlike last nights Democratic Presidential hopefuls

I must be psychic

Did you buy The Man Who Laughs? Or is it from Netflix DVD? I have a version of it, but it has Spanish subs, but I don't speak Spanish unlike last nights Democratic Presidential hopefuls

Netflix DVD got that and Angel Face

Faust

Not bad at all. I loved the technical aspects, like the really good special effects and wonderful dark and serene images. A lot of this films is just poetical, like the visuals are writing a poem. The plot, much like Metropolis, seems to not be the most important part, and that’s okay. So an overall thumbs up for Faust.

The Unknown

Although it has an interesting plot, The Unknown failed to grab me. I didn't really like any of the characters, and the plot is already fading on me even though I watched it only a day or two ago. What I recall was that there was a very touchy man who would constantly make the woman nervous, and she goes to an armless man (who's not really armless) for protection... but the really sexually aggressive man gets the girl in the end and the man who has his arms cut off to marry her ends up trampled by a horse... both were kind of jerks. The theme/moral really stumped me, I guess it's..."Be really touchy with women and they'll eventually succumb and fall in love with you"...? So, kind of confusing but not actually that bad technically wise.

After watching it I'm so puzzled by your point of view that I can't even believe we watched the same movie. The "touchy" and "sexually aggressive" man you speak of came off to me as a really nice guy.

The Unknown

I knew immediately when the pulsating score started over MGM's Lion insignia that I was going to love this. It reminded me of something that could be a segment from Creepshow except longer and much better. That score was awesome so I had it on full volume with my headphones on. It's so diabolical and suited to my taste. The four main characters and performances are just right. A wonderful companion piece to the director's also great Freaks.

Sherlock Jr.

My third time watching, and while I wouldn't consider myself a big fan, I can't deny the excellence within. For whatever reason the movie loses me for about 15 minutes after he falls asleep. It's happened all 3 times I've watched it. I love everything before and after. I'm sure it will do very well on the countdown.

The Unknown

Although it has an interesting plot, The Unknown failed to grab me. I didn't really like any of the characters, and the plot is already fading on me even though I watched it only a day or two ago. What I recall was that there was a very touchy man who would constantly make the woman nervous, and she goes to an armless man (who's not really armless) for protection... but the really sexually aggressive man gets the girl in the end and the man who has his arms cut off to marry her ends up trampled by a horse... both were kind of jerks. The theme/moral really stumped me, I guess it's..."Be really touchy with women and they'll eventually succumb and fall in love with you"...? So, kind of confusing but not actually that bad technically wise.

After watching it I'm so puzzled by your point of view that I can't even believe we watched the same movie. The "touchy" and "sexually aggressive" man you speak of came off to me as a really nice guy.
I just thought she was clearly not enjoying his company but he kept pushing it. I didn’t like either of them all that much.

I just thought she was clearly not enjoying his company but he kept pushing it. I didn’t like either of them all that much.
That's what I thought too when they first show the carnival strong man, I took it the film was saying he was the baddie. But later in the film he's shown to be a more nicer guy, almost the underdog.

Pandora's Box

I nominated this because of how much I loved Diary of a Lost Girl. It didn't blow me away like I had hoped but it's still one heck of a movie. It's extremely risqué and dark which of course suits me perfectly. Louise Brooks commands the screen more than most actresses of her day or since. She lived quite the wild life like several stars of that time. I was thinking where I knew another character named Lulu from, and then it hit me, Melanie Griffith's alter ego from 1986's excellent Something Wild. That character was most definitely inspired by this Lulu. I really liked everything about this movie except at times it felt a little slow. I certainly didn't expect it to go where it went in the end.

Sadie Thompson, well I was already to rip it apart for the terrible score so my review's been ruined. But really the score is only half the problem the print that exists just isn't good, it's an incomplete film and the question is can you judge this film against what has been generally speaking a strong Hall with fully put together pieces of work.

The movie is a drama, Lionel Barrymore is fun as the villain though he's a little OTT even for silent films. The story is somewhat compelling though very familiar. Gloria Swanson is the star of the film and she carry's it well enough but as I sit back and reflect on the film will I remember anything about this a week from now..

Sadie Thompson

I actually liked this more than I expected, but it was still kind of a drag. Although it wasn’t even very long, they should have cut down on the run time, the story didn’t feel like 1.5 hours of content, maybe an hour. However, I liked the characters, the representation of old vs. new, and the setting. The idea of the reformers were so interesting. I also liked the music!! (In Citizen Rules link)

The Man Who Laughs

This movie grabbed me tight in the beginning until we fast forward to when most of the story takes place. Instead of being a cool period piece, it turned into a boring romance that I wasn’t a huge fan of. The moments with Queen Anne were excellent, and you can totally see the inspiration for the Joker in Batman in this movie... in that way it’s groundbreaking, but what could have been a masterpiece was simply a decent film.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Faust

Faust: I call thee for help, O Spirit of Darkness: Show thyself! Come forth, evil demon! I call to thee as thou callest thyself, by thy unholy name: MEMPHISTO, appear!

PERSONAL SOUNDTRACK: like previously with Pandora's Box, I opted out of the soundtrack provided and did some old school Dio with Rainbow's Rising and then Long Live Rock albums, followed by Judas Priest's Sin After Sin album from 1977.
And, as previously, it actually synced up rather nicely with this film.

This was a blind grab for me and I rather enjoyed the imagery through the first two thirds of the film. The German Impressionism and creativity (for it's time) was done very well. Setting the mood of The Devil wagering against a Saint for dominion over the Earth and using one good man's soul as stakes.

While at times a bit cartoonish, I did enjoy Mephisto's smirking ways and how he'd manipulate the results of Faust's wishes to create doom. Not sure why, but that smirk reminded me of Rip Torn, at times.

The love hookup did cause the movie to lag a bit,
WARNING: "though once the" spoilers below
girl's brother is murdered and she's left with her baby and what becomes of them, it definitely picked up a bit.

Speaking of, considering that the brother jokes with her about "so, any lovers?" and then condemns her with his dying breath was such a serious d!ck move.
The same goes for how everyone she went to, trying to save her child, ignored her and THEN, when the child dies from exposure, the guards show up and call her a murderer.
How f@ckin TYPICAL was that?!

Still, very happy I got this as a blind grab and enjoyed seeing it.

The Unknown

Alonzo the Armless: No one will get her... no one but me!

While Freaks is Browning's masterpiece, (for many of us) The Unknown is very much a preliminary sketch work with a similar setting and story points regarding a love triangle.
I was hooked from the get-go til the very end.

Unlike other silents so far, the soundtrack to this was perfect and needed no substitution and added just the right mood and intensity to what occurs on film.

With other films, under heavy makeup, from the Phantom of the Opera to The Hunchback of Notre Dame, this very well may be the first time I've seen Lon Chaney's face in a film and all of those sublime emotions in other films, are stark and bold, here. Pretty amazing stuff.

Also, there was one scene with Joan Crawford, with her head slightly back and her eyes wide, did I actually recognize her. Otherwise, if I didn't see her name in the opening, there was no way I would have known.

Surprisingly, I don't have much to say, but, believe me, I fully enjoyed this film.

As I go through these films I see it's going to be harder and harder to work out a list.
I hear ya! I could see the majority of the noms being my #1. So far there's only one film I didn't really care for. I'm going to try and watch my last three noms soon. So far Cricket and Ahwell have sent in their voting list.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
FYI: Metropolis (1927) is scheduled to air on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) tomorrow night (Tuesday) at 8:30 PM EASTERN TIME.

CHECK YOUR LOCAL LISTINGS FOR THE CORRECT TIME IN YOUR AREA!

Marianne

And all this over a stolen pig --
C'est l'amour, c'est la comédie.

As a farm is taken over by a troop of American doughboys at the end of WWI, Marianne, having sworn her love to Andre, finds herself falling Private Stagg while his two comedic sidekicks; Sam and Soapy cause us to wonder if this is a Romance, A Musical, or a Comedy. . . and while it can easily be all three, it may have been wiser to pick one, or two. But, in the end, who's to say.

I do want to see Marion Davies, sans her bad French accent, in another role since she does make quite the impression.
And I did enjoy Benny Rubin, even more so after looking him up, later in his life and recognizing him from quite a few small parts.

While this wasn't a must see, it was worthwhile for the two above actors.