Pop-up Song Tournament

Tools    

Only about another 4 hours remaining if there are any more that wish to join.....

ROUND 1 - DAY 1

Jun Miyake - Lillies Of The Valley vs The Ruts - Babylon's Burning
Omg, really tough choice. I like both songs! I'm weird with punk. A lot of it doesn't land all that well with me but this was an instantaneous like, hard to do with punk for me. But there's something a bit off about that Jun Miyake track that interests me. It's a bit creepy in a cool way. I'd listen to both artists again after the tournament.

Filthy Boy - Waiting On The Doorstep vs Angaleena Presley - Ain't No Man
Again, really hard vote! Both are new to me and I liked them both. Had to flip a coin because I couldn't choose.

Disclosure - Help Me Lose My Mind (Mazde Remix) vs Penetration - Life's A Gamble

Cellar Darling - The Hermit vs Chris Mills - Signal/Noise

Grace Jones - Pull Up To The Bumper vs Lana Del Rey - Bel Air
Grace ****ing Jones!

The Celibate Rifles - Killing Time vs Black Widow - Way to Power
Love Black Widow.

Loudness - Soul on Fire vs The Fall - Free Range
Also love The Fall!

Basia - Painters And Dockers vs L'Arc~en~Ciel - White Feathers

ROUND 1 - DAY 1

Youth (specifically mine) wins out for the WAYLTWYAM thread robot over my own nom

Nothing against Angaleena's track but I've always been a filthy boy at heart

Disclosure - Help Me Lose My Mind (Mazde Remix) vs Penetration - Life's A Gamble
Second is just closer to my taste

Favourite Chris Mills track

Could've voted either way

Tough choice, like both

Again, like both but I grew up with 'Mark E' Mark

First is just closer to my taste

Let the night air cool you off
ROUND 1 - DAY 1

Jun Miyake - Lillies Of The Valley vs The Ruts - Babylon's Burning - First track was decent and I like the piano, but it just wasn't weird enough for me to enjoy it for 7 minutes. The other wins because it is concise and fun.

Filthy Boy - Waiting On The Doorstep vs Angaleena Presley - Ain't No Man - It's gonna take a lot for a song I've never heard before to beat one of my nominations for me, and it didn't happen here.

Disclosure - Help Me Lose My Mind (Mazde Remix) vs Penetration - Life's A Gamble - Was leaning towards Disclosure until the first drop. I'm interested in listening to a non-remixed version. I don't know that I've ever heard of the second band, but I dug it.

Cellar Darling - The Hermit vs Chris Mills - Signal/Noise - Not a fan of the first track. Second track wasn't too bad, I guess.

Grace Jones - Pull Up To The Bumper vs Lana Del Rey - Bel Air - I am familiar with Grace Jones, insomuch as I know what she looks like and what she did, but I've never really listened to her music. I'm vibing with it. Lana Del Rey is still Lana Del Bae tho.

The Celibate Rifles - Killing Time vs Black Widow - Way to Power - Toughest match thus far. I am digging both a good bit. I'll feel bad if Widow wins by a single vote, I'll feel like the culprit that killed The Celibate Rifles.

Loudness - Soul on Fire vs The Fall - Free Range - Other than voting for my own nom, this was the easiest choice. I need to explore The Fall further, but I don't really love this song. The other song just very much fit my taste.

R1D1

The Ruts - Babylon's Burning

Filthy Boy - Waiting On The Doorstep

Penetration - Life's A Gamble

Cellar Darling - The Hermit

Grace Jones - Pull Up To The bumper

The Celibate Rifles - Killing Time - nice matchup

Loudness - Soul on Fire
at least a vote for loudness, im sorry Mark!

L'Arc~en~Ciel - White Feathers
Basia is nice but my personal pick kinda mine magnum opus

Weird is relative.
Round 1 - Day 1 choices:

Jun Miyake - Lilies of the Valley (Weird and lovely.)

Filthy Boy - Waiting on the Doorstep

Disclosure - Help Me Lose My Mind (Mazde Remix)

Cellar Darling - The Hermit

Lana Del Rey - Bel Air

Black Widow - Way to Power (Both are great, I wanted to vote Celibate Rifles but I liked this one a little bit more.)

The Fall - Free Range (This was a very nice discovery for me! Never heard of them before, and now I'm checking out more of their stuff.)

L'Arc~en~Ciel - White Feathers (I knew of this band, of course. Beautiful vocals.)

I'm back from my vacation in Cancun, Mexico!

Too late to join?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just realized what the theme was. I can't think of 8 good songs that are 10+ minutes in duration.

I'll sit this one out.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Weird is relative.
I'm back from my vacation in Cancun, Mexico!

Too late to join?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just realized what the theme was. I can't think of 8 good songs that are 10+ minutes in duration.

I'll sit this one out.
No, they're supposed to be 'less than 10 minutes' in length.

ROUND 1 - DAY 1

Not a huge fan of old school punk but the first one was just so dull.

Didn't really like either.

Penetration sounded pretty damn good but it probably helped that the other one was terrible.

Cellar Darling's debut was one my favorite albums last year. Chris Mills doesn't sound terrible but has no chance.

Neither is bad but neither is really good either. Bel Air is missing something because I feel like it should have been better.

More punk, I see, but this time they're up against something much better and it's easy win for the occultists.

Loudness sounds like even they're bored but it's still better than the other monotonous intro that never developed into a song.

Hated Basia. The other was OK but little bit too long.

pahaK Finnishes (groan, sorry - couldn't resist just the one time) R1D1 for us and I need to find someone to tie-break half the matches

Those going through already:
The Ruts - Babylon's Burning
Penetration - Life's A Gamble
Black Widow - Way to Power
The Fall - Free Range
*Angaleena Presley - Ain't No Man
*Chris Mills - Signal/Noise
*Lana Del Rey - Bel Air
*Painters And Dockers - Basia **

* tie kindly broken by doubledenim
** artist / track realigned properly

These need breaking:

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

ROUND 1 - DAY 2

Aim - Demonique vs Slayer - Piece By Piece
I'm pretty sure Michael Myers would have preferred Slayer too.

Virgin Black - Museum of Iscariot vs Jason Lytle - Dept. Of Disappearance
Tried to write something witty here but lets just say that Virgin Black is better of the two.

Dotstokyo - Satellite vs Beverly Jo Scott - Magalie
Neither is really good but the first is more kawai

Cody Jinks - Whiskey Bent & Hell Bound vs Die Antwoord - I Don't Care
Didn't like either again but give me some whiskey.

Euzen - The Great Escape vs Ghost - Life Eternal
Uh, hardest pair this far on this tournament. Pretty decent Björk wannabe and average Ghost song. Very, very tightly Euzen 'cause I haven't heard of her before.

The Posies - My Big Mouth vs Máté Péter - Elmegyek
Another tough one but I'll give tiny edge to the Hungarian with fashionable glasses.

Porcupine Tree - Circle of Manias vs Elaine Paige & Andrew Lloyd-Webber - Memory
I like some Porcupine Tree but this two minute instrumental has no chance against an iconic musical piece.

The Sidh - I'm just a Sidh in Ireland vs Dead Meadow - Lady
Tough one again but now they're both really mediocre. If the first had (good) vocals it would win easily but I think I'll give it to them even now.