Top horror movies in 2017

Tools    

1. Get Out
Released: February 24
Cast: Daniel Kaluuya, Allison Williams, Catherine Keener, Bradley Whitford
Director: Jordan Peele
Why it's great: Get Out tackles all sorts of uncomfortable social issues, and does so in a playfully freaky, and frequently insightful, fashion. The movie's all about a young black guy who heads off with his white girlfriend to meet her oh-so-progressive family, and realizes that something is very wrong with the racial divide in this sleepy little town. Mr. Peele employs suspense and tension throughout most of the movie -- with some comedy on the side, of course -- and then lowers the hammer with a finale that's demented fun. Like the best horror flicks, Get Out borrows a little from movie history while forging ahead with a unique perspective. This movie will entertain and make you think.

2. It: Chapter One
Released: September 8
Cast: Bill Skarsgard, Jaedan Lieberher, Sophia Lillis
Director: Andy Muschietti (Mama)
Why It’s Great: Two brilliant Stephen King adaptations in one year? That’s noteworthy all by itself. But this film is sort of special because it’s based on one of the master’s biggest, toughest, and most popular novels, and it somehow turned out to be one of the creepiest, classiest, and most well-received King movies in years. I guess clowns are just that scary. And kudos to all these kid actors. Not a sour apple in the bunch.

3. Gerald’s Game
Released: September 29
Cast: Carla Gugino, Bruce Greenwood, Henry Thomas
Director: Mike Flanagan (Oculus)
Why It’s Great: I’ve always believed that Gerald’s Game ranked among Stephen King’s most underrated novels, and I also figured the book was more or less “unadaptable.” So imagine my satisfaction when this movie turned out to be one of the year’s best genre films. Carla Gugino delivers some of her best work ever as a woman who has been handcuffed to a bed inside of an isolated cabin -- and you simply won’t believe the horrors this poor widow has to contend with.

Raw, Get Out, Shape of Water are the must-watch horror movies.

Going by general release and not availability here so discounting stuff like Eyes of My Mother, IT and Get Out are the only Horrors i've seen from 2017. Unless you are counting Mother or something but i don't.

Get Out wins it by a mile!

- Tom Leventhall

2017 was the year for unknown low budget horror to hit the screen with movies like "Bye Bye Man", "Jackals", "Happy Death Day", "I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore" and "Wish Upon". "Annabell - Creation", "Get Out", "Belko Experiment", "Life", "Leatherface" and "IT" were great as well.