The MoFo Top 100 Documentaries Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've seen these four from the one pointers, three good and one excellent.

Samsara is of a certain style of filmmaking, if you like it then you'll like the film. Watch No No if you like pitchers on acid throwing no hitters (it's a pretty cool story). Watch Dear Mr Watterson if you like Calvin and Hobbes (who doesn't?). And 5 Broken Cameras if you want to see quality filmmaking (which in any other year could have easily won best documentary, but that year went up against Sugar Man). Or watch all of them regardless because they're all worth the time.

I watched Dear Mr Watterson for this list, and I really wanted to put it on my list because I love "Calvin & Hobbes", but it didn't have an interview with Bill Watterson. I understand that they tried to get one, but he just doesn't want to give any interviews, but it just made the documentary feel like it was lacking something important.

National Geographic: The Skyjacker That Got Away was my #25. If you ever wondered whatever happened to skyjacker DB Cooper, this documentary has some interesting theories.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Looking forward to the countdown, it already looks amazing. A lot of hard work put into it.

Suspect's Reviews

But Not Slight of Mind or Tongue...
THE ONE POINTERS

Those films that recived only one point, one 25th place vote:

Who Killed Vincent Chin?
George Harrison Living in the Material World
Corta
National Geographic: The Skyjacker That Got Away
Usain Bolt: The Fastest Man Alive
Jupiter’s Wife
Kyoto, My Mother's Place
5 Broken Cameras
Memories of a Bright Future
OT: Our Town
No No: A Dockumentary
The Seahorse
Samsara
Dear Mr. Watterson
Chebeya Affair
All Aboard! Rosie's Family Cruise
Next Goal Wins
Faro-dokument 1979
Jupiter's Wife almost made my list, I think I had it at 28. I saw it awhile ago and liked it a lot.

Originally Posted by foster
I attended a cool after party with dennis hopper and britney spears.
I'm beyond jealous that you got to party with Dennis Hopper.

I wanna see a documentary of that party.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hopper.jpg
Views:	912
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	23651  

He was busy running around and stuff. He was the host or organizer or something of that cinevegas film festival so he was working more than partying.

Yeah, Foster has mentioned that before. Its cool that you highlighted it.
All of the facts and none of the flavor.

The story he's quoting from me is all new material.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	13e96d025c40a0a445b26916ffe8da30.jpeg
Views:	899
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	23652  

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Jupiter's Wife almost made my list, I think I had it at 28. I saw it awhile ago and liked it a lot.
You must have had it at #25 since only one person voted for it, and they had it at 25.

You must have had it at #25 since only one person voted for it, and they had it at 25.
I had Jupiter's Wife at #25. I had the video tape and watched it a few times in the mid-90s, but I haven't seen in since, but I definitely loved it back then. Looking at a couple clips on youtube, I remember one of the things I liked best was the footage of Central Park and how it felt almost like a magical place.

I think Samsara was mine. "No No" looks really good. This thread is going to keep on giving.

I was very close to putting Touching the Void in my #25 but it just missed out.

Unregistered User
Nice to get the countdown underway, well done to all involved. Originally I wasn't even going to enter a list, now I wish I had watched more for it!!

Anyway, I had Touching the Void i think as my no. 13.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
THE ONE POINTERS

Those films that recived only one point, one 25th place vote:

Who Killed Vincent Chin?
George Harrison Living in the Material World
Corta
National Geographic: The Skyjacker That Got Away
Usain Bolt: The Fastest Man Alive
Jupiter’s Wife
Kyoto, My Mother's Place
5 Broken Cameras
Memories of a Bright Future
OT: Our Town
No No: A Dockumentary
The Seahorse
Samsara
Dear Mr. Watterson
Chebeya Affair
All Aboard! Rosie's Family Cruise
Next Goal Wins
Faro-dokument 1979
Memories of a Bright Future was my 1-pointer. He would be close to the top of my list, if wasn't for the fact that I am the only one that saw it here!

I had Dear Mr. Watterson as my one pointer. It's not extraordinary but if you enjoy Calvin And Hobbes it is very interesting. I adore Calvin And Hobbes. I still pick up my books from time to time. I think it is the last great comic strip. The writing is poignant and timeless. I miss it but am glad it exists and one of my favorite pieces of art ever. The doc captures the spirit of fans like me very well. I wrote a review if anyone wants to check it out.

Memories of a Bright Future was my 1-pointer. He would be close to the top of my list, if wasn't for the fact that I am the only one that saw it here!
OK, I'll bite. I don't know what it is, and even Googling it returns zero results. Are these just your home movies?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Two down and I've got one already. I had Touching The Void at #5 on my list. I've only seen it twice, but it really pulls me in from the off and I'm there for the entire thing. I think it might've been the first 'proper' documentary I'd seen that used re-enactments, but that doesn't matter to me at all. The people involved are doing the talking and it's their telling of the story which works so well for me. I must've given it the most points, but I'm pleased to see that it made a couple of other lists too.

I'd have liked to've seen 5 Broken Cameras (along with This Is Not A Film and a good few others) before I sent in my list. I've had it for a few years now, but still haven't seen it.

I don't know if I've seen The Skyjacker That Got Away or not. I did see a documentary about him/that event last year (or maybe the year before) but I don't know if it was that or not. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

This is going to be my favourite countdown since the 70's.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Has anyone watched "Making a Murderer" on Netflix? One of the most astonishing documentaries I have ever seen.

Has anyone watched "Making a Murderer" on Netflix? One of the most astonishing documentaries I have ever seen.
Yes. I got 4 hours sleep because I was up all night last night watching it. Incredible tv. NO SPOILERS THOUGH.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I sat down yesterday and watched the Herzog docs which didn't make my list. Five of them.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
OK, I'll bite. I don't know what it is, and even Googling it returns zero results. Are these just your home movies?
http://www.film-documentaire.fr/4DAC...ite_film/42460

It's a french documentary about slums in Paris, comparing the situation in the 60s when they were inhabited by Portuguese immigrants and the actual situation now, with Gypsies living there in the exact same conditions.

I've been looking for the DVD of this documentary for ages! I saw it on a festival last Summer!