The MoFo Top 100 of the Seventies

→ in
Tools    

I didn't get what was so special about it, either, and though I only saw it once I assumed it was revered for the same reason you mentioned: not that it's an objectively great film, but that it's thought to be a capital-I Important one. I don't think a lot of that kind of film, because the reverence it receives isn't really about the film as a film, which is why it doesn't often translate well for people who weren't in the right age range when it was released.

So I'll echo that sentiment, for sure. I don't know how plausible it would be for it to miss the list entirely, so something more deserving can end up on there, but I do think there's a good chance it won't be particularly high. Even among people who admire it, I don't know if it engenders the kind of love for a film that tends to garner a high spot on these lists.

I was planning on watching Deer Hunter before submitting my list. I have tried to watch it twice and fell asleep within half an hour both times. We will see if I make it through this time.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I didn't mean for my mention of Coming Home to lead to a hatchet job on The Deer Hunter, only wanted to bring it to the attention of those here unaware of it and Little Murders. I'll probably do the same thing with significant, but underseen, films I watch all the way up to July. Everybody is welcome to their opinion though since I can't come after you like Freddy or Jason. I'll leave most of my opinions to Movie Tab.

The Deer Hunter kept me watching, even through that endless wedding reception scene.

Besides the fact that it's got a very good looking rugged Robert De Niro in it, I enjoyed it for what I saw happening. It's a movie that showcases a harsh side to life. It's about men dealing with the darkness of life. I don't know what to really say -- I've only seen it once. I own it and I might watch it again now.

Sometimes movies just speak to people in ways that you can't be spoken to. They speak a language that is foreign to you. That's probably what's going on with you and The Deer Hunter. I think the fact that you WANT to understand it and you keep returning to it probably says something about it. That on some level, maybe you do understand it, or hope to finally come to understand it. That kind of understanding that you're looking for, though, may take time. You may have to go through experiences and changes that help you "get it." I know that for me, that has been the case with certain films. With age, a movie can change for you, can open up to you, can show you new sides to it that you didn't notice before. I can't say what it is that you're missing in regards to The Deer Hunter, but when I watched it, I liked it a lot. Do I keep returning to it? No, because it's not really one of those I need to keep returning to, unless it calls to me. Perhaps this is a call now thanks to your post.

I hope others get the call.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_m4v9mvxfJJ1r1850ko1_500.jpg
Views:	12585
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	13297  

Besides the fact that it's got a very good looking rugged Robert De Niro in it, I enjoyed it for what I saw happening. It's a movie that showcases a harsh side to life. It's about men dealing with the darkness of life. I don't know what to really say -- I've only seen it once. I own it and I might watch it again now.

Sometimes movies just speak to people in ways that you can't be spoken to. They speak a language that is foreign to you. That's probably what's going on with you and The Deer Hunter. I think the fact that you WANT to understand it and you keep returning to it probably says something about it. That on some level, maybe you do understand it, or hope to finally come to understand it. That kind of understanding that you're looking for, though, may take time. You may have to go through experiences and changes that help you "get it." I know that for me, that has been the case with certain films. With age, a movie can change for you, can open up to you, can show you new sides to it that you didn't notice before.
I saw it first when I was ten. In 1980. I have watched it probably more than a dozen times since then, once even for a class in college, and most recently a month ago. If there was some life experience I was going to have that would key me in on the film's wavelength, time is running out for me to have it.

There are many Vietnam films I find powerful and effective, there are plenty of films about small town blue collar life that I find insightful and universal, there are tons of films about the harshness and darkness of life that I connect to in powerful ways. The Deer Hunter ain't one of 'em.

I hope others get the call.
Me, too. I hope those of you who have time and inclination not only watch a bunch of new movies from this decade you've never seen before, but also reexamine a bunch, too. You may find some aren't as large as they are in your memory. Or as large as their reputation and awards pedigree.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I probably wouldn't have liked The Deer Hunter if I had seen it at 10 years old. That experience of seeing it then at that age is probably still with you, whether you realize it or not. I saw it at 28.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Deer Hunter is tough for many because it's long, full of contradictions and seems clumsy structurally and thematically because it doesn't ever come out and say what it's really about. It's all about the feelings and emotions of the characters [and the director], but the actual "plot" makes it harder to connect to them and the movie. That, plus some people find it racist. It's bewildering and powerful at the same time. The ending scene, combined with the music over the end credits, probably ties it together best for me. It's not gung ho but rather sad and sober. I don't think this is a Spoiler. Incidentally, I'm not advocating voting for any of these - just suggesting MoFos watch them, like Holds said.

I think I've only seen The Deerhunter once. Well, once all the way through, anyway, and about the only thing I can remember about the entire film is that I liked the wedding reception stuff a lot more than the Vietnam half.

I probably wouldn't have liked The Deer Hunter if I had seen it at 10 years old. That experience of seeing it then at that age is probably still with you, whether you realize it or not. I saw it at 28.
I had already seen Apocalypse Now, before The Deer Hunter. My thoughts, opinions, and impressions of the former have changed and deepened and enriched with age and the perspectives of time and life experience. The Deer Hunter has not enriched over the same period of time. Has absolutely nothing to do with my first viewing of it.

There's nothing to unravel, SC. There is no "Rosebud" that will explain my dislike of that movie. I just don't think it's very good, or well made. That's the key.

I didn't mean for my mention of Coming Home to lead to a hatchet job on The Deer Hunter, only wanted to bring it to the attention of those here unaware of it and Little Murders. I'll probably do the same thing with significant, but underseen, films I watch all the way up to July. Everybody is welcome to their opinion though since I can't come after you like Freddy or Jason. I'll leave most of my opinions to Movie Tab.
Hopefully you continue to do this, because i highly respect your opinion. Coming Home and Little Murders are now on my 70's watchlist. Already seen The Deer Hunter good movie, but it wont be on my list.

Deer Hunter is the kind of war film people like when they're just starting to watch war films, so I can't blame it for being successful I suppose, but outside the russian roulette scene I remember nothing and have no yearning to revisit even that bit.

There's nothing to unravel, SC. There is no "Rosebud" that will explain my dislike of that movie. I just don't think it's very good, or well made. That's the key.
Well, then stop watching it/revisiting it in hopes of finding out why everyone likes it.

Since people have been making recommendations, I'm going to recommend Days of Heaven.
I was going to watch that anyway, but a rec from me is The Jerk , one of my favourite comedies.

Would just like to remind you of an obscure 70's film a lot of you might look over. It's called Star War, I think you guys should check it out.

Han Solo (left) and his partner Obi-Wan.

Exterminate all rational thought.
Well, I managed to find one way or another to get the 9 I want to watch before I submit my list. Only had to buy 2. My wife is happy about that. Weekend planned! As well as catching The Grand Budapest Hotel that is...

In case anyone's hearing these recommendations for The Jerk and isn't quite convinced, I'll throw in, too: definitely watch it.

Lots of older comedies don't hold up as well as you remember--the jokes-per-minute ratio is far lower, and sometimes the humor is more of a vibe than an actual punchline. But The Jerk is weird enough, clever enough, and overtly goofy enough that it fits modern comedic sensibilities really well. I rewatched it a few months ago and loved it even more.

I"ll echo the love for The Jerk. Holds up really well. Probably my #1 comedy ever. I watch it about every three years and not many comedies hold up for me.