Dr. Popcorn's Movie Reviews

→ in
Tools    

The Unborn
Gary Oldman, Odette Yustman, Cam Gigandet

Everyone was talking about The Unborn. The film is about a young girl (Odette Yustman), who begins to have strange dreams and witness odd events. She later finds out that she had a twin who died in the womb. The baby now wants to be born, and is slowly destroying her life. The unborn baby is trying to passover from the dead to the living. Yustman must find out how to get rid of this torment and fast, before it beats her to it.

For a horror movie, the theme was odd. However, I liked it because it was different. For example, when Gary Oldman sees the dog with an upside down head, the background music, the scenery of that scene, it just really is creepy.

The acting was something I really didn't care for. Yustman's performance was horrible, Gary Oldman and Cam Gigandet did okay but nothing eye-popping. Usually Oldman's performances are that of a "bad guy".

Gary Oldman really does not impress me that much on any level, including in this film. His roles seem the same to me in every film he plays in. He can play anything I guess, he could even play a woman, but that doesn't mean he does it that well. Despite his performances, the films Oldman plays in usually end up being pretty good.

So overall, The Unborn is nothing that special, but it does on some terms seem better than most horror films these days. It is way better than Prom Night, Friday the 13th, and The Amityville Horror as far as remakes go. If you liked ANY recent remake of a horror film, chances are that you will like this film, despite some bad acting. Of course most horror remakes have worst acting than The Unborn.

I mean sure The Unborn doesn't live up to its trailer (even though you can't judge a movie by its trailer), The Unborn really is better at least than recent horror (so-called) "flicks". Trust me, its better than the recent Final Destination and if you did like the fourth FD film, may God have mercy on your soul.

Even though Odette Yustman did not do so well in this film, The Unborn really better than a "new" horror remake. So whether you are freaked out by its trailer (even though the movie isn't as good as it), you love the actors in the film, or just want to see it, it's 50-50, but I enjoyed it. If it helps any, I went into the film expecting to like it.

It isn't one of my favorite films at all, I probably wouldn't watch it again, and it wasn't that well directed, by like I said, The Unborn is better than the average remade horror film, even though The Unborn isn't a remake. It is not original, it follows in the footsteps of One Missed Call and Final Destination, which I know many people did not like, and The Unborn isn't any better than those, however I did like them. Like I said, I went into the film thinking I was going to be scared out of my socks, though I really wasn't scared that much but still entertained. The film really is better than mediocre, but isn't that good.

So would you like it? That's hard to say. It reminds me of a cheap version of The Exorcist. If it would have been more like The Exorcist, I would have liked it better. But, it was a sort of cheap version, so it didn't live up to something like that. It was still a good effort of the genre, despite major flaws.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
For a film you call "nothing that special", isn't
(one box lower than highest rating) too high a rating?

For a movie that you think is less that ok I don't understand the 4 out of 5. I consider a 4 out of 5 excellent. You say that you won't watch this one again, so is this a 4 popcorn movie or is it a 2 popcorn movie

I had to stop reading when he claimed that Oldman always plays the same guy...

I, uh, disagree.

Originally Posted by dr. Popcorn?
it's 50-50, but i enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by dr. Popcorn?
gary oldman really does not impress me that much on any level, including in this film. His roles seem the same to me in every film he plays in. He can play anything i guess, he could even play a woman, but that doesn't mean he does it that well. Despite his performances, the films oldman plays in usually end up being pretty good.
Name what you've seen.

Does Oldman play the bad guy in this film? If so, then I have some idea as to what DrP is getting at. Oldman's 'Hollywood Villian' is pretty much the same and, if they're the only films of his that he's seen, then it would be an understandable comment, IMO.

Dr. Popcorn kinda reminds me of a former member here.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

You must really like popcorn, huh?

Anyway I look forward to your reviews.