Marijuana: Do you do it?

Tools    

Just out of curiosity...and for some debate..

i think most of you are intelligent people and I'm trying to survey as many areas of my life concerning this subject to see how common it really is..so if you've done it..even just once lend me your thoughts...

what are your thoughts on marijuana...okay not okay?

what about historical uses.....

seriously..should marijuana be a normal part of our lives?

all of your responses will be appreciated!

I'm a fairly light user, I tend to get through an eighth of an ounce a week. I don't know anyone who doesn't smoke it occassionally; it's just a fact of student life, like Escher posters and caffeine pills.

Health wise it's pretty harmless, there have been some cases of extremely high TCP varities of the plant causing/worsening schizophrenia but it's still less damaging than, say, alcohol or tobacco.

The only problem with cannabis is its advocates. They're really annoying.

Oh, and the whole funding-the-black-market thing gets me down, so I only tend to buy from my friend's mum who grows it in her library.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I've never bought into the 'it's better than tobacco' thing, given the lack of filter, but at least it doesn't get smoked with as much frequency.

That said, i fell into a half-ounce-a-week habit at one point (of the low-grade stuff, not the skunky varieties). So heed that Martiny

Now i'm a thoroughly healthy alcoholic instead - with just the occasional revisiting to that hallowed turf.

Eq, the main thing i've learned about it is that it's great for sparking off ideas, but not so good when it comes to following through on them. I love the fact that it exists - and i can't see myself ever abandoning it completely - but like all things, it'll turn you into an arse if you ingest too much of it.

Incidently, i'm sure there's an identical thread to this somewhere

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I tried it a couple of times.
It burned my throat and made my hands smell terrible, otherwise had no effect.
I think it should be legalized, it's ridiculous that it's illegal. Hemp is a highly useful fiber and a very productive crop, and pot has several beneficial medicinal uses. But as long as it is illegal, I'm not getting into it, as it's not worth the risk of a criminal record just to get high. What if I decide to run for president? <cough>

www.forumninja.com
I used to drink pretty heavily during my fraternity days in college (who didn't?), but that was enough for me. I prefer to have my mind clean nowadays. Just a personal choice. Marijuana is certainly better than half the junk out there (including alcohol), but I'm of the opinion that no one really needs those kinds of social crutches... but maybe that's just me being a snob. I certainly don't pretend to choose anyone else's lifestyle for them. So, I don't worry about anyone being a user... I only worry when people totally fetishize it.

I definitely think the pot is a better alternative to smoking and alcohol. The effects of alcohol are far worse, socially and health wise and the smoking addiction probably has a greater long term effect anyways. As for me, i smoke it at my friends house after we finish work then drive home early morning, or on my days off have a big one before watching a film or just chill out and watch the clouds. I smoke block to mellow out and green to get mashed.

in highschool i smoked a lot, now much less...simply because i don't know any drug dealers....it's nice for chillin out...or when you have insomnia like i do....puts you right to sleep....plus...all the food tastes sooo much better when you're high....

Chaotic Neutral
I used to do it A LOT. As I get older I get more and more annoyed with having to hang out with people I have nothing in common with but the weed just to get it. My current roommates don't smoke and when my ex husband would smoke he would be one of those smokers who'd say, "this sucks, I'm not high at all" while eating a whole bag of snack size candy bars. LOL So I'm off it right now, not for any moral or health reasons but just cause I don't have a good smoke buddy.

Originally Posted by Lockheed Martin
Health wise it's pretty harmless, there have been some cases of extremely high TCP varities of the plant causing/worsening schizophrenia but it's still less damaging than, say, alcohol or tobacco.
I am not convinced that it is less damaging than Alcohol and Tobacco i see many people who have problems related to their marijuana use it is still in it is infancy as a recreational drug compared to Alcohol and tobacco, we are seeing many physical changes in peoples brains and there lungs due to it, time will tell

I have tried it, I loved it, I am glad that I don't use it now, i see friends that have been smoking it for 30 yrs and they appear brain dead.

I much prefer alcohol. Marijuana isn't really enjoyable unless you take an absolute ****load of it. I remember a really hilarious incident, me and 2 friends had eaten a huge amount of pot, and we were sitting on my sofa talking to some guy who wasn't there, and my dog walked into the room, it was the funniest thing ever. The problem with getting this stoned is that I lose all sense of time and the ability to concentrate on anything for the next couple of days, and I'd probably rather just have a bastard of a hangover because at least then I'm able to think, if just that I wish I were dead.

Originally Posted by Equilibrium
Marijuana: Do you do it?

No.....

Here are a couple of related threads that might be of interest to someone:

Does Anyone Do Drugs?

Should Marijuana Be Legalized Or Not??

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

This One Time At Band Camp...
Nope. Even though I do have a drink on occasion I try to keep my body and mind as healthy as possible. But that's just me.

Nope. Never have. The rest of my thoughts on the matter are perfectly summarized by KnicksRIP:

Originally Posted by KnicksRIP
I prefer to have my mind clean nowadays. Just a personal choice. Marijuana is certainly better than half the junk out there (including alcohol), but I'm of the opinion that no one really needs those kinds of social crutches... but maybe that's just me being a snob. I certainly don't pretend to choose anyone else's lifestyle for them. So, I don't worry about anyone being a user... I only worry when people totally fetishize it.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I think people are far too hung up with the question if one's social life, or life in general, becomes better or not with the use of marijuana, and if it's a better or worse drug than alcohol. Or tobacco for that matter. I would never smoke marijuana as a substitute for alcohol since it works in a different way. Obviously it's not a very good thing to smoke several times a day, seven days a week. But the same goes for alcohol.

I think it should be legal to grow a limited amount of marijuana for your own purposes. It should not be commercialized because as soon as you can make money off it the health issues will come second. Like alcohol and tobacco. Those drugs do so much more damage to more people than marijuana (because of their availability) but still they are fully accepted in our society. And that has more to do with how they are being packaged and sold to the consumers than with their actual threats to people's health.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

MovieForums Extra
I used to smoke back in the good old days in high school and college, but I haven't had any in 25 years. The last time I smoked I became so paranoid I swore it off. I remember some very fond times and good laughs with friends, and I'm glad I never became addicted. It was always recreational.

Rarely but yes. Maybe two or three times a year. I plan to do it quite a bit mid August when I'll recieve a few free doobers from some friends I'm doing some work for.

Medical marijuana is legal here in Canada but it's a bit of a mess now with some confusing restrictions...bah the process of making it acceptable is just so arduous and infuriating.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Moo
Rarely but yes. Maybe two or three times a year. I plan to do it quite a bit mid August when I'll recieve a few free doobers from some friends I'm doing some work for.

Medical marijuana is legal here in Canada but it's a bit of a mess now with some confusing restrictions...bah the process of making it acceptable is just so arduous and infuriating.
It surprises me that it's so commonly illegal. It's been my understanding that it's illegality in the States is largely due to the efforts of the tobacco industry, who sought to cut out a possible competitor by making pot illegal. It would be interesting to know why it is banned in so many other countries though.

Chaotic Neutral
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
It surprises me that it's so commonly illegal. It's been my understanding that it's illegality in the States is largely due to the efforts of the tobacco industry, who sought to cut out a possible competitor by making pot illegal. It would be interesting to know why it is banned in so many other countries though.

Another possible theory I've heard is that the energy industry wants it illegal since hemp is supposedly a good energy source.

It also supposedly became illegal after prohibition as a trade-off for the legalization of alcohol.