Are BLU-RAY discs really worth the hefty price?

Tools    

Understand this question comes from someone who has never watched anything on BLU-RAY. Although the prices on the DVDs and players have come down significantly over the last year, it is still a lot more expensive than your standard DVD. Example: if I want to watch "The Wrestler" on DVD, I would pay $20 for the DVD and $15 for the player; $35 total. To watch the same movie on BLU-RAY I would have to spend nearly $200: $150 for the play and $40 for the movie. I understand that over time the cost would be less as I would only buy one player, but really, is the quality of the BLU-RAY so much more than a standard DVD to justify spending my life savings to be entertained?

Just asking,

Blue Cowboy

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
From the few movies I've watched on Blu Ray I certainly think it's worth it.

I recently got the new David Attenborough series Life on Blu Ray and watching it in High Def is significantly better than watching it in normal def.

Johnathan Brownsill
I think that Blu-Ray is worth the money if you are like me and you buy DVD's for the extras and special features. The massive storage on the dual layer discs can allow hours of this stuff.

yep it is! its nice quality!

I'm not into them, and I doubt I ever am.
I bet I could change that, Mrs. Doubtfire.

Blu-rays are SO worth it, if you've got a big HDTV (40 inches or more). They are mind expanding.

They are worth it but I am going to wait it out just a little more. (Until I have enough Money.)

The People's Republic of Clogher
Hefty price?

If you buy them online, 90% of BDs are only a couple of quid more than the equivalent DVD now. For instance, I pre-ordered today the Blu Ray version of The Proposition from Amazon.

£8.98 and free postage.

Che 1 & 2 will cost me under £13.

Terrestrial store prices are still largely a joke, however. I saw Life of Brian on HMV's website for £7.99, thought about it for a few minutes then decided to pick it up from my local branch as I'd be in the vicinity later on that day. It was £16 on their shelf...

Needless to say I went home empty-handed.