Gladiator 2

Tools    

Is it because you dislike Russell so much? Come on, it'll be a fun movie, just you wait!

No, it's not that I don't like Russell Crowe. I don't really have a problem with him, but I thought Gladiator was very average and I'm not a fan of Ridley Scott. Also, I've never cared for the Robin Hood legend (even when I was a kid) and it does have something about it which says Gladiator 2. I know this is all there is, so far, but still, it's not something that I have any interest in seeing.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
This has nothing to do with the topic, but I've always been under the impression that a true film buff watches everything, regardless of who's in it or their personal predilections. Obviously, either my definition (which has been the same for at least 35 years) is bollocks or some people disagree. If so, why do you disagree? How do you know what you don't know? I hope you guys post in the spiritual forums about faith because you know what you know without physical evidence (and no, past history and crap trailers don't count as evidence for an entire film). Then again, I may have to back off a little because we all draw the line somewhere. It's just when you draw the line more than you leave it alone, you don't really seem like you really LIKE movies.

In the Beginning...
I think it should be noted that this thread began in 2002, and was only recently resurrected by a member who joined eight days ago.

So, I don't this project is in development.

.... I don't this project is in development.
It isn't....from 2006, nothing ever has risen after this.

Ridley Lays "Gladiator 2" to Rest

UGO.com had a chat with master filmmaker Ridley Scott during a press push for his "Tristan + Isolde" DVD, and the topic of "Gladiator 2" briefly came up -- and let's just say that you shouldn't expect to see "The Return of Maximus" anytime soon.

RIDLEY: "We tried. Russell (Crowe) didn't want to let it go, obviously, because it worked very well. I mean, when I say ‘worked very well,' I don't refer to success. I mean, as a piece it works very well. Storytelling, he works brilliantly. I think he enjoyed doing it, and I think it was one of those things that he thought, "Well, maybe there's a sequel where we can adjust the fantasy and bring him back from the dead."

UGO: You said that you loved the ending. What was it about that draft that you couldn't get it off the ground?

RIDLEY: We were all having a go. DreamWorks was having a go, so we were having a go. DreamWorks was addressing Rome without Maximus, because clearly he's gone, and he's dead. Therefore, it would be to the son that Maximus had probably left behind with his affair with Lucilla. You're then basing a film on a different kind of premise. Again, you're basing it on a corrupt Rome, the Rome that would be heading to its own demise. It was far more rambling and complex. Often great plays are very simple, and I think that the mechanics of the Gladiator story were really very satisfactory and worked very well."

For the rest of the interview, which touches upon the underrated "Tristan," the classic "Alien," and the brilliant "Blade Runner," click here.

Source: Rotten Tomatoes

OK, I have to admit that I'd think about watching this. Damn you, Hollywood!!!

Nick Cave talks his insane Gladiator sequel
Crowe asked singer-turned-screenwriter to write second film.

Nick Cave has revealed details of the sequel that he penned for 'Gladiator'.

The singer-turned-screenwriter was asked by Russell Crowe to pen a script for the film, but it was ultimately rejected by the studio.

And now it's emerged why...

“(Crowe) rang me up and asked if I wanted to write 'Gladiator 2',” Cave told Marc Maron on the WTF podcast.

“For someone who had only written one film script, it was quite an ask. 'Hey Russell, didn't you die in 'Gladiator 1'?' 'Yeah, you sort that out'.

“So, he goes down to purgatory and is sent down by the gods, who are dying in heaven because there's this one god, there's this Christ character, down on Earth who is gaining popularity and so the many gods are dying so they send Gladiator back to kill Christ and his followers.”

“I wanted to call it 'Christ Killer',” he added, “and in the end you find out that the main guy was his son so he has to kill his son and he was tricked by the gods.

“He becomes this eternal warrior and it ends with this 20 minute war scene which follows all the wars in history, right up to Vietnam and all that sort of stuff and it was wild. It was a stone cold masterpiece. I enjoyed writing it very much because I knew on every level that it was never going to get made. Let's call it a popcorn dropper.”

Director Ridley Scott has added that despite the high-concept, the script worked well.

“We tried (to work with Cave's screenplay),” Scott told UGO.com. “Russell didn't want to let it go, obviously, because it worked very well. When I say 'worked very well', I don't refer to success. I mean, as a piece it works very well. (As a piece of) storytelling, (it) works brilliantly.

“I think (Cave) enjoyed doing it, and I think it was one of those things that he thought, 'Well, maybe there's a sequel where we can adjust the fantasy and bring (Crowe's character) back from the dead'.”

Someone needs to make this sequel happen...

Cave, who made his fame as a singer with his band The Bad Seeds, first moved into screenwriting by penning the outback thriller 'The Proposition' in 2004.
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/nick-cave...074708607.html

Wow that sounds like utter crap. I hope it never gets made. Ever.

I LOVE Gladiator. I do. For awhile it was my absolute favorite movie and it's currently holding the #2 spot, but this a terrible idea. It's terrible not only because Maximus died at the end of the original, but because the original was historical fiction and had virtually no fantasy elements, save for the brief scenes of Maximus's family waiting for him in Elysium. Characters spoke of "the gods" but there were none to be seen and they weren't an integral part of the story. Gladiator needs to be left as a stand-alone film and not be ruined by a stupid sequel.

First Ridley Scott churns out Robin Hood... then makes Prometheus...

Now he's saying Cave's script about Maximus fighting Jesus and then living forever so he can fight in all wars right up to Vietnam was actually a decent script.

I think Ridley might be going a little bit nuts.

It sounds like it'd be a pretty enjoyable film to watch, I wouldn't mind, even though it's obviously a really big departure from the first film. I'm sure it would just be considered non-canon if made because of the concept, so it wouldn't ruin the first one for me really.

Although I could see people turning heads simply at the idea of a Gladiator 2 sequel in general, even if the script is really, really good, just because it's a big Oscar winner alone.

Pretty bad. But as bad as The Fantastic Four remake?

Well at least giving us the story of Lucius is less stupid than the whole afterlife/gods/BS.
Still not thrilled about the idea though.

Welcome to the human race...
Bah, Nick Cave's idea sounded like it would have been very much my kind of thing as opposed to this extremely generic 2010s soft-reboot idea. Probably helps that I never held the original film in particularly high esteem, though.