What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

I saw Avatar Yesterday in 3D
and let me tell that i one of a kind experience
even though the story is not really original
Cameron makes you get in to the movie and feel it
with all your senses.

Ray

recently I saw a bunch of good ones..
Up in the Air (great act by George Clooney, with good story)
Sherlock Holmes (a bit long.. so wouldnt recommend it)
It's Complicated - sooo hilarious!

I recently saw the film Up in the Air, which, although kind of cheesy, was enjoyable, nonetheless. George Clooney was wonderful in that film, though.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
"Cheesy" is by far my least favorite descriptive word. It carries no meaning to me whatsoever. I like cheese. I usually use the word "hokey" to denote what I believe others use to mean "cheesy", but since nobody else uses "hokey", I wouldn't know.

last day I've watched Sherlock Homes

there's a frog in my snake oil
Saw the latest Hollywood beast. Mulled and mauled it a bit here.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
I recently saw Avatar, Alvin and the Chipmunks and Sherlock Holmes...

Mystery Team
2009, Dan Eckman

Micro-budget comedy with a cute premise, but stretched too thin for a feature. A trio of boy detectives are perpetually stuck in eight-year-old G-rated mindsets, but increasingly find themselves at odds with a very grown-up R-rated world. Comedy ensues...just not enough of it. Donald Glover, D.C. Pierson and Dominic Dierkes are Jason, Duncan and Charlie, better known as The Mystery Team! They are Encyclopedia Brown types, not Hardy Boys. After all, Frank and Joe Hardy actually uncovered plots involving smugglers and the like. The Mystery Team is more of the 'who stole the pie off of the window sill?' and figuring out that it was the class bully who has been stealing homework out of lockers at recess, that kind of thing. While they got much acclaim and local attention when they were third graders taking on such cases for only a dime, that they still do the same thing while nearly adults is problematic. But up walks a little girl in pigtails with a "real" case to solve: her parents were both murdered, and she wants the Team to find out who done it, plus retrieve her mother's diamond ring. Even though the stakes have been exponentially raised to dangerous levels, our stalwart boys carry on with their magnifying glasses, slingshots and plucky resolve.

It's a good idea for a sketch of maybe ten or fifteen minutes or so, but the juxtaposition of misplaced boy-like wonder and scuzzy danger gets old pretty fast and there's not enough base reality to the characters to take it to another level. Glover, a rising TV star on NBC's "Community", plays the leader of the Team and does the best with the thin material. The cast is also peppered with some decent comic actors in bit parts, many of them from the other three NBC Thursday night sitcoms: Aubrey Plaza ("Parks and Recreation"), Ellie Kemper ("The Office"), Kevin Brown ("30 Rock") and John Lutz ("30 Rock") as well as Upright Citizen Brigade founder Matt Walsh. The movie was written by, directed by and stars members of an improv troupe called Derrick Comedy, who have made some viral videos in recent years and perform in clubs to some underground fame on the college circuit. There are some genuine laughs in Mystery Team, and even though it slides unnecessarily into some extreme gross-out humor a handful of times, if they had handed over the directing duties to someone with a little more skill and experience, I suspect the results may have been better sustained, even with the teeny budget constraints. As is, it's certainly more worthwhile than say a dumb supposedly family-friendly hunk of Hollywood fare like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as the Tooth Fairy, but that's probably the exact definition of feint praise. I'm sure they envisioned The Brady Bunch Movie meets The Pineapple Express by way of Napoleon Dynamite, but they fall short of such odd if modest goals.

GRADE: C-

The Missing Person
2009, Noah Buschel

Now this is more my speed. A clever neo-Noir that has some winking fun with the genre before concluding with some nice character-based insights about loss and tragedy. Michael Shannon, Oscar nominated a year ago for his supporting work in Sam Mendes' Revolutionary Road, stars as John Rosow, a Chicago-based private eye in a 21st century world who seems quite content to drift his days and nights away in a nicotine and alcohol haze while pretending like he's Bogie in a 1940s flick nobody else is watching. The story begins as he's awakened at 5:00am with a mysterious job to get up and follow a man (Frank Wood) who is about to board a train bound for Los Angeles. Seems he's been recommended to a law firm by an old New York Cop friend, so off he stumbles, not knowing what the job is exactly but finding out the money is plentiful. Trailing the man, who is traveling with a young boy, is suspiciously simple, and when he finds a pair of Federal Agents as well as a very friendly woman (Margaret Colin) in a bar also interested in the traveling man, Rosow begins to piece things together...ever so slowly. Eventually the trail leads back to Manhattan and is intertwined with the sad events that put Rosow on his drunken outdated transom peeping to begin with.

Michael Shannon is excellent as the square-jawed, disillusioned lost soul playing at private dick, and when the roots of his pain are uncovered in the final third of the movie and the deadpan would-be jokes give way to his suffering, Shannon is quietly magnificent. This movie coupled with the indie Shotgun Stories has put Shannon very prominently on my radar as an actor to watch. Amy Ryan, also a recent Oscar nominee, is also quite good as his contact with the firm that has hired him for his unknown assignment, and adds some weight to her character in a relatively small number of scenes. Aided by a classic Jazz infused soundtrack (including the likes of Bud Powell and Thelonious Monk) and moody photography from D.P. Ryan Samul, writer/director Noah Buschel brews a nice concoction that owes some of its existential tone to '70s greats of the genre like Arthur Penn's Night Moves and Coppola's The Conversation, but is also very specifically of this new century, minus the rapid-fire dialogue or slick stylized action typical of the Tarantino wannabes. Really loved this one and can't wait to see it again.

GRADE: A-

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Road - 3/5

Avatar and Sherlock Holmes. Both were worth my money.

"AVATAR" without watching it in a theater you can't feel the 3D effect . That's why i watched it in a theater with my friends .

The men who stare at goats