Road Trip Pics and Blog

Tools    

We had a great evening, it was both my wife and son's first time. Unfortunately rude people go to drive ins too. Guy next to us throwing lit cigarette butts all over and constantly in and out of vehicle for some reason which caused his obnoxious break and running lights to come on. Still it was a fun and made me wish we had one near us.

I know I am way behind on posting have not had good wifi until now. I can usually use my data to post well enough to FB but it bogs down on here for some reason. Anyway if anyone is interested in viewing my FB let me know I would be happy to friend you. I do not use it much but for the vacation I am posting a lot of pics there too.

But for now here are some pictures of our visit with my daughter in Springfield , MO. We went to the large Bass pro shop here and then went for a hike at a place called Watershed.

World's biggest fork

Hydrate!!!

Break time

Big Gar

Bridge over the pond/lake.

Bass Pro Shop

This place was crazy big, couldn't even finish seeing it all.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	hike3.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	56395  

Where was this picture taken?
This was in Eldon Iowa, the actual place where the house in the painting is located. The house in this picture is the same one. It is a really cool place and there is a small museum there that has a lot of history on the town and the artist Grant Wood.

It is really off the beaten path so to speak and we did not even know it was so close to where we are currently staying until we looked up things near us to do.

@7thson, did you know that the original characters in Wood’s American Gothic were his sister & his dentist?

@7thson, did you know that the original characters in Wood’s American Gothic were his sister & his dentist?
They mentioned that in the museum, and had a very large portrait of the two of them standing next to the original. Also some news clippings, as his sister occasionally comes back to the area for anniversaries of the portrait and still refuses to smile, much to the delight of the locals, who call her 'Dour Nan'.

Pretty sure I need a recap of our latest adventures, things are starting to blur together when i try to access my brain's memory files. .

So a quick rundown of our recent stops:

Sevierville, TN

We stayed in a cabin, also celebrated my birthday there. Visited wax museum and ran from zombies in a zombie run exhibit. Got lost multiple times in the mountains, went white water rafting on Pigeon River. Ate at Alamo Steak house.

Grand Rivers, KY.

Stayed at a bed and breakfast for 3 days, it was called Rose of the Lake. Went to a planetarium, Dev fed a wild raccoon, saw some buffalo on a reserve. Went to Calvert drive in movie theater and saw Toy Story 4, they had really good burgers. Visited a really cool roadside attraction called Apple Valley Hillbilly Garden and Toyland, it was creepy and quite amazing all at once.

Springfield, MO.

Stayed with my daughter and grand kids for 3 days. Had Hibachi with the family, visited the large Bass pro shop they had there. Went for a hike at the Watershed with the family as well. It was great hanging out, it has been awhile since we last saw them all.

St Joseph, MO

Stopped at the Glore Psychiatric Museum on the way to Iowa. It as a very interesting and disturbing place, I enjoyed it a lot.

Bentonsport, IA.

Stayed 2 days at a haunted B&B. We stayed in the "general store" room which used to be an old store and it had some original decorations in it - very cool. Nothing scary happened but the view on the Des Moines River was beautiful. A very friendly cat kept sneaking into our room. Saw the actual spot the American Gothic painting was created and did a recreation of it.

Spring Green, Wi. This is where we are now. Went to the House on the Rock today. Damn cool place. spent all day exploring it and seeing some amazing and crazy things. Never even heard of this place until we were looking for a place to stay on our way to Minnesota.
Ate at a little place called Rock 'N Roll Drive in, great diner food and atmosphere.

Tomorrow we head out towards MN, but we have three days to get there and our just winging it for places to go on the way.

Got lots more pics to post too, will try to get them up soon.

Dev fed a wild raccoon
Yikes. I would never go near a raccoon. Nice creatures, but it could have been rabid.

I thought I was the only one who had a house that looked like this.
It reminded me of my bedroom when I was 10, but on a much larger scale.

Now give someone like this millions of dollars and you have The House on the Rock in WI.

Full sized giant whale eating a rowboat and being attacked by giant octopus.

Awesome room that hangs way out over cliffside, it is counterbalanced and has no actual support at the end. You can feel it wobble slightly as you walk out

Awesome indoor carousel.

A chandelier made of hundres of chandeliers.

So much more to this place, it was whimsical, crazy, creepy, and hella fun.

Made our way to Baudette MN. today. Taking a boat in the morning to go spend 3 days in a lodge on an island in Lake Superior. On the way we stopped at the location of the origin of the Mississippi river. Such a small width, we all walked across the Mississippi river .

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190810_181133.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	56562  

Spent a couple days camping at Custer st Park in S.D.

Froze my butt off at night but stiil a great time. Saw tons of wildlife and cooked up the rest of the fish we caught in Minnesotaand Canada.

Just made it to Deadwood, here for a couple of days.