Matrix Trilogy VS The LOTR trilogy

→ in
Tools    

1st movie Matrix by far.
2nd movie LOTR
3rd movie LOTR

So LOTR in my opinnion.

Matrix was a great movie but not a great trilogy.

LOTR was a great trilogy.

Things I hate about both franchises.

The Matrix pandered up too much to the fans in the 2nd and 3rd installments. Lots of random fight sequences that do not further the plot. Its just visual masturbation for most parts in Reloaded. And lets not get started on the horrid sex scene. Pointless, and just *ugh*.

As for LOTR, they fell back on popular stereotyping for dramatic effects. Some characters were made too powerful at the expense of storytelling. How did Aragon fend off the ring-wraiths in the first installment with a torch? The Arwen scene in which she summons some water spirits to drive away the ring-wraiths? Never happened. While all these stuff look aesthetically pleasing, it makes the bad-guys seem so much less threatening.

I absolutely abhorred how they made Gimli into cheap comic relief. He's Dwarven royalty! We see him bumbling clumsily around the whole trilogy, TOSSED, and generally acting as the inept side-kick foil to Legolas. Its a bad form of character kill-off.

Lots more fan-boy gripes about LOTR; but I suppose those changes from the original text (e.g. leaving out Bombadil) is necessary for its translation into the big screen :/

District B13
Matrix was a good movie that easily could've ended with the first one. But instead they just drew up cliches for the second and third movie.

Also, when i saw the matrix it was truly unlike anything I've seen before, now that I've seen alot of science fiction material I realize it wasn't so original.

Every single Lord of the Rings movie is better than any matrix movie.

For star wars, I would say that the second and third star wars are better than the first and second lord of the rings, but the last lord of the rings is in my mind, perfect.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by toysailor
How did Aragon fend off the ring-wraiths in the first installment with a torch?
Narratively speaking, you could say that the Ringwraiths become less powerful the further they are from home (that's a big fantasy thing: the bad guys are only powerful at home, and the good guys draw more strength the further they travel).

In film terms, though, that's the first time you see Strider in action. Before that, you don't know if he can be trusted or not (if you haven't read the books). So, what better way than to show him run off all the bad guys? Which, if you think about it, is probably what happened. The book tells us that he jumped into the fray with a burning torch, and after that, Frodo wakes up, and the Ringwraiths are gone. I doubt any of the Hobbits drove them away.

The Arwen scene in which she summons some water spirits to drive away the ring-wraiths? Never happened.
Um....yes it did.

Only it was Glorfindel, not Arwen (but of course, they didn't want the film to be a sausage fest, and Glorfindel is a Johnny-Nobody anyway).

While all these stuff look aesthetically pleasing, it makes the bad-guys seem so much less threatening.
The bad guys become threatening when the good guys are threatened. The flight to the Ford is all about getting close to Rivendell so that the magic can take hold, and Ringwraiths ride fast. I'd say they captured it well.

I absolutely abhorred how they made Gimli into cheap comic relief. He's Dwarven royalty! We see him bumbling clumsily around the whole trilogy, TOSSED, and generally acting as the inept side-kick foil to Legolas. Its a bad form of character kill-off.
In the first film, he was perfect. He had little or no comic relief to speak of, but he had the heart of a dwarf (which means alot of yelling and arguing). In the next two, though, you're right: they put too much contemporary comic relief into him, and it took me out of the fantasy. It didn't ruin it for me, though, because after the first book, Gimli is pretty much a nobody.

District B13
As for LOTR, they fell back on popular stereotyping for dramatic effects. Some characters were made too powerful at the expense of storytelling. How did Aragon fend off the ring-wraiths in the first installment with a torch? The Arwen scene in which she summons some water spirits to drive away the ring-wraiths? Never happened. While all these stuff look aesthetically pleasing, it makes the bad-guys seem so much less threatening.
I thought Aragorn fending off the ring wraiths was quite cool. It changed the action scenes from Gladiator to originality.

Arwen summoning spirits from the water made perfect sense to a fantasy buff. She was clearly a Paladin (I thought so at the time only to find out that LOTR didn't have paladins) but she needed water to use her spell. So, once she crossed the river, she had the perfect trap and the materials available. The only way she could beat these wraiths was by trapping them and using water, that was the ONLY way. The Ring-Wraiths were still scary because you can't always trap them and you don't always have water.

I thought the Ring-Wraiths were scary throughout, I believed that even though Aragorn could go Johnny Smack Em Up on them, the hobbits couldn't. So, when we see Hobbiton in trouble, we know Frodo could easily get smurfed.

The inconsistencies didn't bother me as I only read the Hobbit (I know, I know), but the movie was good, and the wring-wraiths were as scary as ever throughout the movie.

Now I know someone is going to order for me to be shot down in flames, but I never got into the LOTR movie thing... Give me the Matrix any day of the week

I don't even see how you could compare these two movies in any way shape or form:

Matrix:

Weapons: Guns, Kung-Fu
Timeframe: Future
Struggle: Machines vs. Humans with a dash of programs.
Story: Humans fight for survival against machines who want to harvest them.

LOTR:

Weapons: Swords, Arrow, Magic
Timeframe: Oldenage
Struggle: Orcs + Bad Humans vs. Humans + Dwarfs + Elves + Silly Hobbits'
Story: Must destroy ring, before evil eye destroys all.

Just about nothing in common at all. This is a silly discussion that will bring about opinions and silly internet banter.

Oh and just to be fair.

Matrix owns LOTR.

Thank You for Smoking 10/10
Return of the Living Dead: Necropolis 4/10
Equilbrium 8/10
A History of Violence 8/10
Officespace 10/10

well as a trilogy LOTR is obvious better

LotR hands down. In my opinion, the trilogy is the greatest achievement in cinema history...or atleast since the original Star Wars.

The Matrix on the other hand...it bored me (aside from the first one).

LotR stirred up passion in me that I haven't felt since being a little kid watching Bambi looking for his dead mom or Mufasa falling from the cliff to be trampled by stampeding wildabeasts.

I cried when Frodo turned on Sam in RotK. I cried upon the death of Boromir so soon after his redemption. I cried when Theoden died. I cried when Sam thought Frodo was dead from Shelob's sting. I cried when Gandalf was "killed."

And I knew all that was coming...I knew Gandalf would "die" and come back. I knew Boromir would turn on Frodo, then protect Merry and Pippin only to be killed. I knew of Theoden's fate...I knew everything from the books.

Yet I cried.

At the end of the Matrix I just sat there and said to myself..."Wait...so Neo was the one? Or what? I want more of that Colenol Sanders look-a-like from the second movie."

www.forumninja.com
I felt that the LOTR movies got better and better as they went on, which is what a trilogy is supposed to do. Return of the King is, for me, a crowning cinematic achievement.

I first saw The Matrix after having already seen the far-superior Dark City, so while I really liked The Matrix, I saw it for what it was... an unoriginal action film. I wanted to turn off my brain halfway into the tedious nonsense that was Reloaded... and Revolutions was little more than really nice CG. I was hooked by the Gnostic, Hindu, and Buddhist mythos to some extent, but it inevitably came across as little more than the Wachowskis trying to show off their erudition.

What do you expect from a film series in which the plot for the first film was stolen from another writer?

Originally Posted by Mike Krueger
I don't even see how you could compare these two movies in any way shape or form:

Matrix:

Weapons: Guns, Kung-Fu
Timeframe: Future
Struggle: Machines vs. Humans with a dash of programs.
Story: Humans fight for survival against machines who want to harvest them.

LOTR:

Weapons: Swords, Arrow, Magic
Timeframe: Oldenage
Struggle: Orcs + Bad Humans vs. Humans + Dwarfs + Elves + Silly Hobbits'
Story: Must destroy ring, before evil eye destroys all.

Just about nothing in common at all. This is a silly discussion that will bring about opinions and silly internet banter.

Oh and just to be fair.

Matrix owns LOTR.
Thank you it is alot like comparing apples to bananas. I mean come on they share nothin not even cinematography. The ONLY commonality is that there were three movies to tell the story but if you count the other things the Wachowski put out like the animatrix that isn't even true.

Is this a joke?

The Matrix trilogy is weak just by itself, but compared to the Lord of the Rings it's pathetic. There's no contest, LOTR hands down.

I think it's been implied by earlier posters but I think just the "Matrix", the first movie is better then any individual movie in the LOTR trilogy. But comparing entire trilogies to each other, as Richard X said, it's no contest.

I agree it appears that the second and third Matrix movies really are stand alones from the first. They were probabally only created because the first did so well were as LOTR all three movies were filmed at the same time.

Rock-n-Roll hoochie koo
Lotr!!!!!!
The first matrix was awesome, but as a trilogy it did suck.
I noticed there was much more anticipation for the third lotr than the third matrix. I mean, all over the news, entertainment channels, and my friends.
So after the second movie of the matrix was shown, it just started to sux.

Got to go with Matrix. LOTR was solid but I got bored.

If had had to sit and watch either trilogy in its entirety i'd have to go for LOTR, The first Matrix film was good but Reloaded and Revolutions weren't really up to much.

love peace and chicken grease
i would def watch all the lotr movies the matrix doesnt appeal to me i tried to watch the first one and i got confused.
By streams that never find the sea;
Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains in the moon.

A system of cells interlinked
The Arwen scene in which she summons some water spirits to drive away the ring-wraiths? Never happened.
Sure it did. It absolutely happened in the book, but, a different character did it. They combined Arwen's character woith another character from the books, so as to avoid having too many characters for film audiences to follow. Of course, the missing character's name eludes me at the moment, but, that event definitely occurred in the book.

Between the two trilogies, I like the Entire LotR trilogy more...